Cost of renovating a tiny kitchen

Hi guys, it's been a while since the last time I was on Somersoft forums. Yet again I have come here to ask for advice. I have managed to purchase a really old unit during the last couple of months. So far we have only painted the walls and changed the carpets for the 2 bedrooms.

But, I lost my motivation today when a Kitchen Reno. company quoted me $5k+ for the installation of a new kitchen. The kitchen itself is only 185mm by 205mm. Is this the norm or are these guys just asking for too much money?

I have considered installing a flat pack kitchen and maybe getting the help of a handyman... but the kits at bunnings all come standard at 55cm depth which are too deep for this kitchen. I am not sure what to do, I would love any kind of advice.

note: I've attached a picture of the kitchen at its current state.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 325
What exactly are you getting done compared to what are you doing yourself?

If the price is for supply only then its way out of the ball park. If its for the total removal, replumbing to fit mixer, fitting kitchen sink and mixer tap and also retiling then I would think its in the ball park.

A member on the forum 'Arms' has a kitchen company and does flat packs down to 300mm wide

http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au/shop/category112_1.htm

Just be aware when looking at the price list that you add all the components required. You need to add in doors, end panels etc so need to understand what makes up a kitchen.

We are currently buying kitchens for $2400 each, this is for just the cupboards and doors including delivery up to the 3rd story I excludeds benchtops as we install granite. Part of these kitchens are only 400mm deep and they have solid backs. The dimension of this kitchen is 2000mm across the back and 2400mm and 2000mm coming out. 6 top cupboards, 4 bottom cupboards and a draw cupboard in melamine.

Don't think I am getting a bargain but that was the best price I could find.

Cheers

PS Looking at the picture again you might even have a water heater tucked away in that base cabinet so there will be extra charges to cater for the reinstall of the same.

vahsi000,

We had an old unit in Queanbeyan that we renovated. Similar type kitchen to yours.

The old 400mm deep original cupboards
Old Kitchen1.jpg

I was always going to replace it myself, but I got a quote to see how much I was saving. To have the old unit replaced with plumbing etc would cost between $5,000 - $6000.

I ended up keeping part of the original kitchen because it had the original hot water tank in a corner cupboard (spot on Handyandy .. :D). I had a flat pack section done by a local joiner for $1200, which also included some wall cupboards.

I painted the old unit with white Knight paint and it came up beautifully. I also built the fridge unit cupboard myself using white laminate board from Bunning's that cost under $60 (see last photo).

This photo shows the original section of kitchen which I painted using White Knight
Kitchen3.jpg

This is the finished kitchen
Kitchen.jpg

I kept the original stainless steel sink, but replaced the taps and wall tiles. I also installed a rangehood unit for $240.

All up with everything you see it cost me about $1600, but the finished product looks great and saved me $3500-$4500.

A couple of options here for you to keep costs down:

1) re-paint the existing unit using White Knight laminate paint, re-tile and change the taps and cupboard handles.

2) approach some local joiners and get a quote for a simple flat pack, plus re-tile and change taps.

Good luck

Mystery

Last edited:
Kitchen

Hiya

Just did a new kitchen (laminate but stone look alike) for about 3K (it was about 1 and a half times) your size; and about $850 (paradise kitchens) for oven, cooktop and rangehood.

It was a hassle free experience and came up beautiful. PM me if you want the contact; his factory is at Blacktown and U can go view his work.

Cheers

company quoted me $5k+ for the installation of a new kitchen. The kitchen itself is only 185mm by 205mm.

That,s pretty expensive for a kitchen that size :eek:, you are get ripped off.
How about trying toys r us in the barbie section for her kitchen stuff, whole kitchen for about $50 :D

Log onto Bunnings website and you can design the kitchen and it will tally up the cost of the cupboards, doors, handles, splashback etc.

They can also arrange installation if you like.

Easy way to attain a base price.

WOW, mystery... thank you very very much for that... I had almost lost all hope on renovating the kitchen for my wife, but you've given me the inspiration to persevere!

Btw, may I ask how long did that project take you to do? Are you a trades person? You've done a superb job, I wish I was that good.

Hi,
Mystery great job on the kitchen.

With kitchens (or reno actually) you need to balance time and cost. As they say- Time = Money.

If it's a quick fix and is cheap go for it but if it labor intensive and/or doesn't save you that much go new. In the end a fix it job is just that.

Our latest kitchen 2100 x 2500 x 1300 (plus fridge space at the end but we are not putting a surround) cost $2650 supply only. Install price is extra $500. For that price I wouldn't stuff around fixing the old one (not that I had the option with this one (wait for the photos):eek:. My BIL is a cabinet maker and installs kitchens for a living so he'll install it for me.

We start the reno in 2 weeks so I will put before after photos. The before ones are pretty scary:eek::eek: so I'll wait until we have the after ones as well.:D

WOW, mystery... thank you very very much for that... I had almost lost all hope on renovating the kitchen for my wife, but you've given me the inspiration to persevere!

Btw, may I ask how long did that project take you to do? Are you a trades person? You've done a superb job, I wish I was that good.

Thanks vahsi000 and Travelbug.

Re: the total reno project .... I only worked on it for one to two days a week, so it took a couple of months, but I had the time so it wasn't an issue. I'm an ex painter (have not worked in the trade since 1983). I built our current house (see pic below) and have renovated several of our properties.

Internal view of the home I built
House Reno 2.jpg

We saw an opportunity with the unit in Queanbeyan when we bought to make some dollars through renovation .... We paid $109k, ... spent $9,500 on a total reno and sold within one week of listing for $172km so it was a good return.

I'm currently in the process of totally gutting a townhouse that we own and we will move into to live when finished. I have removed all the lining off the walls, removed the kitchen and totally gutted the bathroom as it had water leak problems.

I'm taking the opportunity at the same time to insulate with thermal/noise reduction insulation in all the internal/external walls as well as between the ceiling/floor of the second level and under the lower floor and roof.

I have also removed all the 1/4 round cornice and will be using a more modern Shadowset profile and I will gyprock over the chocolate brown brick walls .... The aim is to give the property a modern clean look and feel.

This is the view from all windows and decks on both floor levels
View from the deck.jpg

We are removing everything before creating the new look.
The Kitchen2.jpg

We will spend more on this reno as it is for us, but we are still consious of not over-capitalising the property. Our budget for this one is $30,000 to $35,000, but this includes all the wow factor items (like painted gloss cupboard doors and Caesarstone tops in kitchen etc). The finished project should add quite a bit to the property value.

Apart from painting I'm not trained in any other trade, I've just observed how tradies do it and then I have a go, .... it seems to work out okay.

My Tip: Take your time and think about what you are doing before you do it, .... attempt to do it cheaply, but don't end up with a cheap looking finish. If you don't have the skills, ..... get a professional in.

Mystery

If you don't have the skills, ..... get a professional in.

Mystery

Well said.

I did a complete reno on the bathroom in my IP. I did everything except the plumbing and I felt I couldn't do the tiles on the floor properly so I was quite happy to pay a pro to come in and do that for me :D

The last kitchen I did cost me a total of $1900, I used bunnings flat pack (most cabinet makers will tell you Bunnings is crap, But mine has been fine so far and I would buy from Bunnings again) and I had a marble lookalike top made up, this was included in the $1900, I installed it myself, it is quite basic.
From memory the depth is 560mm and they have a range of widths

My kitchen is 3 x 2 m and l have had quotes up to 13k and thats not including appliances or even a kitchen sink. I have taken the time to check out Bunnings Ikea and another DIY place but my big problem is we have very high ceilings and none of the flat pac dealers cater for that. Wall cabinets go to the ceiling aparently thats why l am getting such huge prices quoted.
I have found a place where l can buy the vinyl gloss doors direct, so now l am just trying to work out if we can make the carcass.
It really cant be that hard,can it?:(

We saw an opportunity with the unit in Queanbeyan when we bought to make some dollars through renovation .... We paid $109k, ... spent $9,500 on a total reno and sold within one week of listing for $172km so it was a good return.

Mystery

Very very nice work. How long did you hold the place for?

"Apart from painting I'm not trained in any other trade, I've just observed how tradies do it and then I have a go, .... it seems to work out okay. "

how does that work?
btw, you've done a marvelous job with that unit.
also, what's the best way to learn these skills (do you do the electrical stuff like the lighting?)?
finally, how do people make these perfectly smooth walls at the really old brick units?

... but my big problem is we have very high ceilings and none of the flat pac dealers cater for that. Wall cabinets go to the ceiling aparently thats why l am getting such huge prices quoted.
Yadreamin, Ikea have two sizes of overheads, from memory. One is much higher than the other. We used them in a house with high ceilings and all you need to do is make a bulkhead from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling. Looks great! I think hugely high cabinets to the ceiling would look very odd.

"Apart from painting I'm not trained in any other trade, I've just observed how tradies do it and then I have a go, .... it seems to work out okay. " how does that work?

Look, I suppose I'm just naturally handy and pickup building techniques fairly easily I don't find it difficult.

btw, you've done a marvelous job with that unit.
also, what's the best way to learn these skills (do you do the electrical stuff like the lighting?)?

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

I don't touch electrical, .. that is definitely for the professionals. I'll tackle basic plumbing (installing vanities, taps, PVC pipes etc), but once again the complicated stuff I'll call in a plumber. I had a plumber in yesterday relocating taps, refitting floor drains and installing lines for the new gas cooktop and re-doing plumbing to the toilets as the they virtually had no fall. This sort of thing I call in the pro's as you can't afford to get it wrong.

I once did a 6 week evening course at a TAFE for owner builder carpentry and many years ago the same sort of thing on bricklaying and tiling, but I'm talking 25 years ago now.

how do people make these perfectly smooth walls at the really old brick units?

I am doing this on my current reno project. We have 1980's chocolate brick feature walls. I'm putting timber battens on the brickwork before putting on the gyprock (similar to a stud wall, but much smaller battens) and painting. I'm using battens as I need to run electrical wires for power points along the walls. The battens give me a 19mm gap.

If you don't need to leave a gap, you can direct glue the gyprock sheets onto brickwork or onto small pads that are pre-glued onto the brick wall, but it can be tricky getting the levels right and the sheets flush.. By using the batten method you can pack behind the battens to level out and bumps or uneven sections. Rendering the brickwork is another option.

If you are not sure before tackling a job, .. do a search on Google, there are some good reno blogs around and some very experienced people who offer advice. This site is very good http://www.renovateforum.com/

.... If I'm not sure on something I'm about to tackle, I ask tradies, suppliers or I search the reno blog sites to get tip's.

Good luck

Mystery

Hi Mystery,
It was really amazing to see how much difference your renovation made to that kitchen! I have an oldish IP which I am doing a renovation on for a tight budget. I would like to repaint the laminate cupboards however have never done this before.
Is there much work involved in preparing them before painting with white knight paint?? Any tips you can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi Mystery,
It was really amazing to see how much difference your renovation made to that kitchen! I have an oldish IP which I am doing a renovation on for a tight budget. I would like to repaint the laminate cupboards however have never done this before.
Is there much work involved in preparing them before painting with white knight paint?? Any tips you can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Wombatina

I filled in any cracks and holes and then gave the surface a light sand with fine sandpaper. Applied the water based White Knight primer coat. Undercoat using the oil based White Knight product and then 3-4 coats of the oil based White Knight Laminate Satin Finish ...... It's important to sandpaper the surface with fine and very fine sandpaper between each coat to get the best finish.

I used a brush, but a small roller would be fine. All the instructions are on the tin. It's not difficult. I used White, but I would imagine you can have it tinted to suit your colour scheme.

Mystery

Back