Cost to Build Double Brick House

I'm planning to build a double brick house on a patch of land in West Sydney. Just wandering whether anyone has any experience building a house before because I have so many questions ??? in my head.

1. Should I find a builder or should I get homebuilder license and do it my self? (I have no experience in building anything before)
2. If I go for a builder path, any tips or recommendation on builders I can use?
3. How much should I expect to pay the builder to build a 3-4 bedrooms double brick house assuming I have already had a plan made by a draftsman/architect.
4. How long is the standard building time for 3-4 bedrooms double brick house?
5. If I use a builder, do I still need building/construction insurance during the build time or is it covered by the builder?

Thank you in advance for your advice/recommendations!

Marcus

double brick rarely works on east coast because of high clay content.

this is the main reason homes on east coast are brick veneer - the timber framing flexes somewhat which minimises cracks internally.

1. Should I find a builder or should I get homebuilder license and do it my self? (I have no experience in building anything before)
Get a builder. You have zero experience - you don't want a bunch of costly mistakes getting that experience. In addition if you need a loan to build it (unless you are using you own cash) then lenders will not give you the money anyway.

2. If I go for a builder path, any tips or recommendation on builders I can use?
One of the major project home builders.

3. How much should I expect to pay the builder to build a 3-4 bedrooms double brick house assuming I have already had a plan made by a draftsman/architect.
More than if you just used one of their standard designs :p. Anyone's guess - you have not told us double or single storey even.:rolleyes:

12 weeks for brick veneer. Dunno for double brick sorry.

5. If I use a builder, do I still need building/construction insurance during the build time or is it covered by the builder?
Covered by the builder who will pass the cost onto you :)

Hope it goes well for you Marcus.

More than if you just used one of their standard designs :p. Anyone's guess - you have not told us double or single storey even.:rolleyes:

Thanks Propertunity!

I think I need more than luck to build the house at this stage :eek: .
Sorry for the lack of details, but the house I'm planning is double storey. Does it help to guess estimate the cost of building the house assuming I'm going to choose one of the major project home builders and use their standard designs?

double brick rarely works on east coast because of high clay content.

this is the main reason homes on east coast are brick veneer - the timber framing flexes somewhat which minimises cracks internally.

Thanks for the info Blue Card! The reason I wanted to use double brick is because I was told that it is more fireproof than a brick veneer or vibro house. Also the temperature seems to be more pleasant inside a double brick house. Just wondering whether those are valid reasons or just myth?

Hi 888

I can't comment on the fireproof side of things but I can comment on how pleasant the double brick house of my parents (in Blakehurst 2221) was and is in summer especially last Sunday when it was 28C inside and 41C outside... we did have all the windows closed however...with no aircon or ceiling fans on.

My parents house was built in 1948 and I understand that the bricks and roof tiles used then had more density in them as compared to those used nowadays...

good luck

annE:):):)

Most double storey brick veneer homes from the project builders are around the $300k mark once you include floors, soft furnishings, driveway, front wall/fence, basic landscaping. My relos did one in 2008 for about $280k (inner west Sydney) through one of the volume project builders, laying the floors themselves and having nothing done to the garden. The finish was nothing grand - just a very stock standard house. I'd imagine double brick would add a significant cost. If you want a ballpark finished price, I'd suggest checking Rawson Homes as they quote on a finished product.

Thanks for the info Blue Card! The reason I wanted to use double brick is because I was told that it is more fireproof than a brick veneer or vibro house. Also the temperature seems to be more pleasant inside a double brick house. Just wondering whether those are valid reasons or just myth?

99% of WA metro is double brick, bar Balga / Lockridge.

gimme a framed home with quality wall insulation anyday.

Is concrete ever an option? Or it an economies of scale thing? multiple dwellings, developer stuff etc etc

After quick look around, $300K to build a house looks abit expensive, how much mark up these project developer make?

Is there a cheaper but still decent way to build a house?

After quick look around, $300K to build a house looks abit expensive, how much mark up these project developer make?

Is there a cheaper but still decent way to build a house?

Project home builders try to make 25-30% margin. Remember they can do a house for $250-280K or less if single storey.

They get way better discounts on materials & subbies than you could ever hope for. Could you do it cheaper? Probably not IMO.

I'm planning to build a double brick house on a patch of land in West Sydney. Just wandering whether anyone has any experience building a house before because I have so many questions ??? in my head.

Thank you in advance for your advice/recommendations!

Marcus

Is this a house that you want to live in or you are looking as an investment property? This will probably drive what you want to spend and the look you want to achieve.

Project builders like Henley, Simonds, Metricon, Devine, Orbit etc. are affordable and you could get a brick veneer double storey for $180K+

If you want more boutique or better quality, you could look at other builders, such as Porter Davis spring to mind. Then you can start spending a little bit more. Maybe $250K+

I think if you are looking to spend as little as possible then you would go with a volume builder. Since you are already considering their designs why dont you go with one of them ?

If you have your own plans and then want someone to build it for you then it would cost more. For example my friend built a 2-bed townhouse this way and it cost her $180K.

Duration will depend on the builder and how popular/busy they are. With the recent FHOG I am sure that they are all hectic. Maybe 6-9months duration or 4-6mths if you are lucky.

I found building with a project builder a fairly simple process as they guide you along the way and assign a site supervisor. If I can do that as on my own at 23 then I am sure that most people can.

Good luck.

Last edited:
tilt up is an option - absolutely. but conc is an economy of scale thing - you can't jst do ONE and expect to save money.

the savings are in repitition - if they only have to tool up and build one casting and then cast multiple walls off that, then yes - cost comes WAY down across the lot because you're dollar cost averaging down each time you build a house using identical panels.

Hi MelbGal,

Thanks for your input, very informative for me. Just wandering how can I tell the difference between a project builder and a volume builder? They just normally categorise themselves as home builders.

Do you know any good project builder in Sydney area, I found most of the companies you mentioned are in melbourne.

Thanks!

Is this a house that you want to live in or you are looking as an investment property? This will probably drive what you want to spend and the look you want to achieve.

Project builders like Henley, Simonds, Metricon, Devine, Orbit etc. are affordable and you could get a brick veneer double storey for $180K+

If you want more boutique or better quality, you could look at other builders, such as Porter Davis spring to mind. Then you can start spending a little bit more. Maybe $250K+

I think if you are looking to spend as little as possible then you would go with a volume builder. Since you are already considering their designs why dont you go with one of them ?

If you have your own plans and then want someone to build it for you then it would cost more. For example my friend built a 2-bed townhouse this way and it cost her $180K.

Duration will depend on the builder and how popular/busy they are. With the recent FHOG I am sure that they are all hectic. Maybe 6-9months duration or 4-6mths if you are lucky.

I found building with a project builder a fairly simple process as they guide you along the way and assign a site supervisor. If I can do that as on my own at 23 then I am sure that most people can.

Good luck.

300 for a moderate 30 to 35 sq 2 storey BV isnt too bad.

Certainly wont be any less with a Double brick arrangement.

Rendered Besser or Hebel block may work for you, and still provide the required insulation resistance.

ta

rolf

Do you know any good project builder in Sydney area, I found most of the companies you mentioned are in melbourne.

Bear in mind that Melbourne prices are quite different to Sydney prices given the amount you get slugged with building a property in NSW (eg: BASIX). Also, it would be good to clarify whether the prices MelbGal has quoted is to lock up stage or if it is just the prices from the web sites.

How many stages are there in building a home project? What does "lock up stage" means? Thanks!

Also, it would be good to clarify whether the prices MelbGal has quoted is to lock up stage or if it is just the prices from the web sites.

We are going through the process now. We are using a project homes builder and as many have said rightly, is way more affordable due to economy of scale, competition etc...We are considering a 37sq double storey home from one of the well-known builders in Sydney. The quote is around 350K including (standard stock) carpet, tile, drive way, ducted air (small system). We had asked one of the companies about double brick and their response was building in double brick costs about 30% more and it is not a common option in Sydney today.

In relation to double brick, I can testify that the comfort level in term of noise and temperature is excellent as we are living in one now. While the neighbor houses had their air con running since 10am till midnight on those recently hot days, we needed to switch it on only at about 1pm and turn off at 7pm.

We had also considerred the option to get an architect plan and a builder but the cost was prohibited. I've got one verbal estimate from a local builder that I know has built good houses. His estimate was around 450-500K mark. I have a friend who has just finished building a similarly sized house for around that much.

Many of your questions will be answerred if you go to www.homeworld.com.au and after you have narrowed down the designs, drive to the place to see, get information, prices etc...

Hope this has helped.

I don't know much about building, but I do believe that building a double brick house takes a lot longer than brick veneer. So, if its for an IP, you also need to consider the "opportunity cost" of building, where you could have been getting rent in if you had built using a faster method,
Pen

Back