Cost to Build Double Brick House

Thanks for sharing synthman,

Just wondering a few things:
-) what kind of things I need to watch out for when choosing a project home builder?
-) How does the payment work? Do you pay a deposit to start thing off and then pay installments or pay whole lot when it's finished?
-) What kind of things do you need to watch out for during the building process?
-) How do you check the end result? Do you inspect it yourself or do you need to bring in a building surveyor or something?

Thanks!

We are going through the process now. We are using a project homes builder and as many have said rightly, is way more affordable due to economy of scale, competition etc...We are considering a 37sq double storey home from one of the well-known builders in Sydney. The quote is around 350K including (standard stock) carpet, tile, drive way, ducted air (small system). We had asked one of the companies about double brick and their response was building in double brick costs about 30% more and it is not a common option in Sydney today.

In relation to double brick, I can testify that the comfort level in term of noise and temperature is excellent as we are living in one now. While the neighbor houses had their air con running since 10am till midnight on those recently hot days, we needed to switch it on only at about 1pm and turn off at 7pm.

We had also considerred the option to get an architect plan and a builder but the cost was prohibited. I've got one verbal estimate from a local builder that I know has built good houses. His estimate was around 450-500K mark. I have a friend who has just finished building a similarly sized house for around that much.

Many of your questions will be answerred if you go to www.homeworld.com.au and after you have narrowed down the designs, drive to the place to see, get information, prices etc...

Hope this has helped.

Thanks for sharing synthman,

Just wondering a few things:
-) what kind of things I need to watch out for when choosing a project home builder?
-) How does the payment work? Do you pay a deposit to start thing off and then pay installments or pay whole lot when it's finished?
-) What kind of things do you need to watch out for during the building process?
-) How do you check the end result? Do you inspect it yourself or do you need to bring in a building surveyor or something?

Thanks!

Question 1: for us, the reputation of the company, quality of their designs, quality of the display homes and how the sales person appears to understand our need and ability to match that to a design, were important. Thanks to competition, I found that most of the reputable builders have similar inclusions list, not too different price ranges for similar house sizes etc...I comes down to what company has the suitable design, good people and good policies.
Other questions, you have to Google a bit... regarding payments and how to check results, I have not gone that far yet and will still have to find out.

BTW, please go to www.homeworld.com.au if you have not done so. It has a lot of information.
Once you have had a few names, search them here:
http://forum.homeone.com.au
It has a lot of reviews but please be cautious as I beleive there are both real and made-up reviews in there.

All the best with your project.

Thanks synthman,

Will check out Homeworld as you suggested.
Cheers

Question 1: for us, the reputation of the company, quality of their designs, quality of the display homes and how the sales person appears to understand our need and ability to match that to a design, were important. Thanks to competition, I found that most of the reputable builders have similar inclusions list, not too different price ranges for similar house sizes etc...I comes down to what company has the suitable design, good people and good policies.
Other questions, you have to Google a bit... regarding payments and how to check results, I have not gone that far yet and will still have to find out.

BTW, please go to www.homeworld.com.au if you have not done so. It has a lot of information.
Once you have had a few names, search them here:
http://forum.homeone.com.au
It has a lot of reviews but please be cautious as I beleive there are both real and made-up reviews in there.

All the best with your project.

Back