Costco

Has anyone been to a Costco? Are they worth a $60 yearly membership fee?
I have one opening not far from my work and thought it might be worth signing up.

What I DON'T get is opening it in Docklands. I thought the target demographic would have suited the blue collar suburbs.

Cheers,

The Y-man
I agrre somewhere out the burbs would have been better
also parking in that area is not great
they have built some parking after
Harbour town opened.
As not a regular visitor I find that area confusing

I filled up and paid for membership yesterday
should receive my card in 5 days

Last edited by a moderator:
Their offer is positioned toward the higer socio-economic demographic (i.e. those who are happy to pay an annual fee regardless of purchase)

All I can say guys is get behind them, the more healthy competition out there against WW & Coles the better us, the consumer will be in the long term.

Docklands is their first in AUS, but won't be the last... :)

Has anyone been to a Costco? Are they worth a $60 yearly membership fee?
I have one opening not far from my work and thought it might be worth signing up.

We virtually lived in the one near us in the USA.

Fantastic value; you'll recoup the sixty bucks in the first couple of visits.

It's totally no frills and great value.

The Sydney one is planned for Auburn. A very multicultural/working class area. Cant wait, it sounds great and the more competition for the duopoly, the sooner the better.

Their offer is positioned toward the higer socio-economic demographic (i.e. those who are happy to pay an annual fee regardless of purchase)

All I can say guys is get behind them, the more healthy competition out there against WW & Coles the better us, the consumer will be in the long term.

Docklands is their first in AUS, but won't be the last... :)

Auburn is pretty much at center of Sydney & metro areas.
If your going to have one store and draw from a large radius around a store, that's the place to put it.
It seems like it will be like a "destination store", like a specialty store where people leave home with the main purpose of going there.

Can't believe you guys haven't even heard of Costco?? Wow :eek:

I've got my card, I just need to get the photo done. Very easy for us to get to Docklands and it's about time us West, North West melbourne ppl got something. I think it's in a good spot for the type of ppl it will attract. But I'm biased I guess.

I'm hoping to buy things like toilet rolls, paper towels, baby wipes etc. also food items like fruit cups, Le Snaks, noodles, crackers etc that will last a while and I can buy a heap of.

I gotta admit... I'm quite excited about it. :)

Can't believe you guys haven't even heard of Costco?? Wow :eek:

I've got my card, I just need to get the photo done. Very easy for us to get to Docklands and it's about time us West, North West melbourne ppl got something. I think it's in a good spot for the type of ppl it will attract. But I'm biased I guess.

I'm hoping to buy things like toilet rolls, paper towels, baby wipes etc. also food items like fruit cups, Le Snaks, noodles, crackers etc that will last a while and I can buy a heap of.

I gotta admit... I'm quite excited about it. :)

I lead a sheltered life what can I say.

I guess if I need anything I could always get you, Ms Dish, to grab it for me :D

Joined CostCo in Tokyo. We go there every month or two. Great for bulk buying groceries here - mainly food, and detergent etc for us. The only place I can buy wine casks for a reasonable price. The appliances, furniture, clothing etc can usually be bought cheaper elewhere. Cafe is quite cheap with fairly large portions. Some portions in the supermarket tend to be a little large, for example a bucket sized tiramusu. It may not totally change your grocery buying etc but the experience can be quite interesting.

Back