costs for duplex construction

We are hoping 1.2m each i think that will be the maximum
I would be over the moon at 1.25m
There isnt much on the market at the moment in the area
So fingers crossed
Our first open house is this weekend but forecast rain so hopefully people still show up

Good luck mate, I think you will exceed your expectations.

Good luck with your price, the market is pretty crazy.

Do you have to pay GST on your sales prices?
I think this is the main reason I haven't sold any of my developments.

Im just waiting on the accountant
But will be applying the margin scheme
Claimed all gst credits along the way
then
About 80k each unit gst i think will be payable upon sales

Last edited:
I wanted to keep and rent both out but then sydney market steamed right up so i thought bought at the bottom
Developed then sell at the top cant beat that
Then try and roll profits back into next project

few pics of the finished product guys
1st open today went well
14 couples through with rain and short notice of advertisement no sign out the front/ not in the local paper etc
2 more opens then auction night

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 780
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 689
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 667
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 693
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 647
few pics of the finished product guys
1st open today went well
14 couples through with rain and short notice of advertisement no sign out the front/ not in the local paper etc
2 more opens then auction night

Awesome work g field.

I'm doing the exact same as you now in Melbourne so it's nice to follow how you went about it. I'm spending the same amount except mine won't come anywhere near what yours will be so very well done to you.

hello g field,

Looks great mate, hope everything goes well on auction night.

Quick question for you. Do you think if you got the plans done first and then found the builder, so you think it would be the same cost roughly from the builder ? And do you think you could do it cheaper next time ?

Thanks! :)

yeah we were a bit rushed as we were working away in western Australia so learnt from that
just little thinks could have bought the flooring etc ourselves and got a better quality cheaper
should have done a bit mor due diligence on the builder the builder we chose we will never ever go with them again or recommend them to anyone

luke from pave and save did our landscaping he was excellent very patient with us and worked around his other jobs to squeeze us in

the stylists at bowerbirds in caringbah were great very friendly and worked with us to get the right furniture in etc

so we have auction this Thursday hopefully we generate enough interest to get a couple of bidders
fingers crossed it sells pretty nervous and stressed actually

yeah we were a bit rushed as we were working away in western Australia so learnt from that
just little thinks could have bought the flooring etc ourselves and got a better quality cheaper
should have done a bit mor due diligence on the builder the builder we chose we will never ever go with them again or recommend them to anyone

luke from pave and save did our landscaping he was excellent very patient with us and worked around his other jobs to squeeze us in

the stylists at bowerbirds in caringbah were great very friendly and worked with us to get the right furniture in etc

so we have auction this Thursday hopefully we generate enough interest to get a couple of bidders
fingers crossed it sells pretty nervous and stressed actually

Good Luck G Field.....you've done a great job and there's nothing else you can do now but let it run its course and go from there. Try and think positively in that there's no way you're going to lose (obviously) and if anything you are guaranteed to come out way better than what you first expected a couple years ago. Well done, fortune favours the brave!

What's happening G.
Auction pulled, was that agents advice?

I'm might consider doing a local high finish duplex soon to fill in a gap before a big project, but entry price would be crazy right now. I'd cash fund the buy and build through a trust, so that helps a bit.

One thing I don't know about is GST on sale price.
Can you advise about how that works?
Sucks building high value into a project only to have to give 10% of final val back.
I don't imagine you can claim credits for the initial land purchase, can you?

Thanks

hi guys
unit 1 has been sold 1,150,000

now we are waiting to get tax advice on Monday will call the accountant to see if we can spread the 2 units over 2 financial years to minimise tax
has anyone had this scenario before

yeah ace we are applying the margin scheme on the project so should be able to save 70k on gst I think
to apply the margin scheme you must be registered for gst
and on the front page of contract tick the yes box to apply the margin scheme
the accountant has advised there are a few bits and pieces that also come into play when first purchasing the block to see whether or not you can apply

we are also on the hunt for our next project

hi guys
unit 1 has been sold 1,150,000

now we are waiting to get tax advice on Monday will call the accountant to see if we can spread the 2 units over 2 financial years to minimise tax
has anyone had this scenario before

Thanks g.field for all the information you've posted about your project, well done mate! Good to see you reap the rewards now that its complete.

I'm about to start my first duplex project in Sylvania soon, so ive read your thread from the start with great interest. In future, whats your plans for builders, will you stay away from project builders? look into the smaller custom builders for higher quality?

Hey Shams,

Im just getting into my first one as well at Cronulla. Started going down the path with Masterton to do an upgraded custom design to suit the area but they have now told me that my design is above their capabilities and have reccomnended a couple of private builders. Costs are a fair bit more but should get return when eventually sold.

Back