Could a fulltime worker live in one of these or would it be too noisy ect..

Okay, let me clarify. I don't play music so loud the entire neighbourhood can hear it. My neighbours have never complained about it in the 4 and a half years I've lived here and I get along with them pretty well.

Our neighbours (the house next door) have had people get up them about music a couple of times, so I guess I'm just a teeny tiny nuisance *wink*.

Anyway Beebop, this proves that you can have more noisy neighbours in houses than units (as they tend to think they are isolated in their own little world, and further away from other people, so crank it up louder). Units, with walls side by side, people tend to be more considerate of other people working full-time, I've found. You occasionally get a weekend party, but then your getting too old if no-one can enjoy themselves sometimes.

I like my Trance up louder, but then rarely past 9-10pm. You never know when someone will pay you back with Classical, or some other rubbish.

So more noisy criminals in houses :p

Here's an idea, guy. How about doing some actual research. What a crazy concept.

I sometimes play music (a little too loudly) until 3 in the morning, sometimes later. Are you saying I'm a criminal? How about you throw your ridiculous stereotypes in the garbage where they belong and come down from your ivory tower and join the rest of us on Planet Earth.

I'm sure your potential neighbours, who more than likely have full time jobs and obey the law would just love to find out you referred to them as 'druggies, pros and criminals'.

Playing music till 3am is not fair on other residents if you live in a block of units.

As to the rest of it I think you need to take a few deep breaths and calm down.

Hey stuff like that happens. There are blocks of units where illegal brothels have been run and drugs are produced. You'll get unemployed people on welfare who stay up till all hours because they've got nothing else to do with their time.

When I was younger I used to visit a mate who lived in a pretty rough street

1. Always fights in the street
  2. Someone hung themselves in next doors yard as thier yard had no tree's
  3. Cyclone screens were tek screwed shut - kids still broke in, stole coins & food and crapped on the floor
  4. Woke up one morning and had troubles opening the front door- the person sleeping in a cardboard humpy was wedged against it and took some moving
  5. Cars always getting broken into OR stolen
  6. Ticks climbing up the wall- okay not safety related, just downright nasty

Look for one of these signs for a SAFE suburb ;)

images

Hey stuff like that happens. There are blocks of units where illegal brothels have been run and drugs are produced. You'll get unemployed people on welfare who stay up till all hours because they've got nothing else to do with their time.

Are you always this "positive" and "upbeat" :p.

You wanted a house before. Houses have sheds. Maybe you would have gotten one near a drug growing house (it's the houses that usually get raided for drug labs). Or the unemployed family with 9 kids vandalising your property for fun.

Thought you were taking baby steps to a positive outlook and your own start in property. Now back to square one.

Cheers.
You really need to change your attitude before you get anywhere in life. I give up.

Beebop, I'm from a $110/wk rent unit in 2002, to renting on Harbour now (by choice and lifestyle), with 3 investments in 7 yrs. You'll still be finding some dumb Axxx excuse for not doing anything.

Are you always this "positive" and "upbeat" :p.

You wanted a house before. Houses have sheds. Maybe you would have gotten one near a drug growing house (it's the houses that usually get raided for drug labs). Or the unemployed family with 9 kids vandalising your property for fun.

Thought you were taking baby steps to a positive outlook and your own start in property. Now back to square one.

Cheers.
You really need to change your attitude before you get anywhere in life. I give up.

Beebop, I'm from a $110/wk rent unit in 2002, to renting on Harbour now (by choice and lifestyle), with 3 investments in 7 yrs. You'll still be finding some dumb Axxx excuse for not doing anything.

Nah I'm just exploring options. I don't mind living in a dump. I just put nice stuff in it and it is fine. Done it before. Was nice and cosy. 2002 was a better time. I miss it.

Nah I'm just exploring options. I don't mind living in a dump. I just put nice stuff in it and it is fine. Done it before. Was nice and cosy. 2002 was a better time. I miss it.

Finding every negative that has 0.001% chance of happening is not "exploring options". It's just making excuses.

Exploring options is useful things like loan options (offset account, etc), locations, (do you pay $5K extra to be closer, if it costs you $3K/yr less in transport cost), property features.

When you now start asking Somersofter about your "options", then expect help. Otherwise, stop wasting time with all your excuses.

Originally Posted by Beebop

I dispute this, if you are on drugs and stay up till all hours plus there is a brothel nearby, how the h**l can you say there is nothing else to do with your time!?

PS:there are always bad neighborhoods, no matter where you look

images

Last edited:
Finding every negative that has 0.001% chance of happening is not "exploring options". It's just making excuses.

Exploring options is useful things like loan options (offset account, etc), locations, (do you pay $5K extra to be closer, if it costs you $3K/yr less in transport cost), property features.

When you now start asking Somersofter about your "options", then expechelp. Otherwise, stop wasting time with all your excuses.

Not excuses. I've been lucky enough to have already made enough mistakes to know not rush into anything.

Beebop, I'm just gonna say it straight.

You're standing out there with your d__k in the wind. You wanna buy a place then do the damn research. Don't come on here with your crazy ideas about drug cooks and prozzers and goodness knows what else you heard from your preppy mates and expect people to take you seriously.

That's the problem every body wants to start at the top:rolleyes:,and think all their enemies they face in property investing are big and have very sharp teeth,or you could always marry up in life,I started in a 2 bedroom ute,with 4 k in back pocket,and people said the same back then,no different from now..

Beebop, I'm just gonna say it straight.

You're standing out there with your d__k in the wind. You wanna buy a place then do the damn research. Don't come on here with your crazy ideas about drug cooks and prozzers and goodness knows what else you heard from your preppy mates and expect people to take you seriously.

shhh. They're not crazy ideas. And if I was rich I'd just ask my parents for money and buy what I wanted straight up, don't take your insecurities out on me.

Beebop. Buy it and shut up. Move on. Have something in the works and get on with it. Stop over-analysing. If you can afford it, grab it, its much better than what you currently own now. Just make sure you can add value through renovation e.g. new kitchen and/or new bathroom as you will end up creating more equity that way.

One thing I would do is check the construction. Not sure about where you're looking at buying Beebop, but in WA the majority of apartment blocks (especially the older ones) are double brick construction, with an air cavity between the inner and outer walls. This does a huge amount to reduce noise transmission. You could team double brick with double glazed windows, and you'd be unaware that a nuclear bomb had been dropped. (Of course there are always exceptions, but I've lived in such units previously and they've been fine, even with hard-partying neighbours - and I like my sleep.)

I can't think why else it would be so cheap unless it is government housing full of druggies, pros and criminal who play loud music until 3am.

Or BC won't let u renovate ?

I don't understand. It is closer to city than many parts of canberra, yet so cheap, something MUST be wrong with it aside from what meets the eye.

300k vs 165k. hhhmm.

Beebop, sometimes units are 'company titled' as opposed to 'strata titled'. With company titled units, you are buying a 'share' in the company who owns the property (or something like that), rather than the actual property itself, so they can be a lot cheaper.

There are a lot of company titled units in some of the expensive areas in Sydney eg: Woollahra and Potts Point. They tend to be a lot cheaper than the strata units but rents out the same (as tenants dont care about the title), so people with smaller budgets would get those to get into the market/area.

The units you are talking about dont 'look' company titled, but just double check with the agent. If it is, then that would explain why it's so 'cheap'.

Absolutely agree! I'm a nervous person, being single living on my own, and very cautious and used to get nervous late at night in my two bedroom free standing unit. In fact I used to have the TV on all the time, and I think subconsciously it was because I was nervous of the noises I'd hear without it on. I now live in a secure apartment complex with the buzz in entrance, and despite being on the ground level, never for a second have been even slightly nervous. I absolutely love it as far as security goes, and my neighbors are all good. In the two years I've been here I think there's been two late night parties on a weekend.

I know exactly how you feel. We rented a ground floor unit whilst our apartment was being built . In that time we were burgled, terible experience. We now live on level 7 in a corner position, never felt safer. Next move will be up to levels 15-20 in a new building, city veiws and no traffic noise

Back