Could it be a trust?

Hi,

I have an RP Data report which lists the owner of the property as XXX Pty Ltd. Could this be a trust? The agent was telling me the vendors are selling because they are retiring and I wasn't expecting a Pty Ltd as the owner.

Thanks

Hi,

I have an RP Data report which lists the owner of the property as XXX Pty Ltd. Could this be a trust? The agent was telling me the vendors are selling because they are retiring and I wasn't expecting a Pty Ltd as the owner.

Thanks

Any legal person could be acting as trust. Could be a trust for a discretionary trust, a SMSF or a Custodian trust. But then again it may not.

Does this make a difference?

Just curious. Thanks for the reply.

It could make a difference if you are chasing a debt I guess as assets of the company may not be available to creditors of the company if the company is holding these assets as trustee for others.

As Terry suggests, it could be a corporate trustee. If the beneficial owners do run their own business, they could well have set up a trust to own assets including a residential house as a form of asset protection.

It could also be on the basis of 'poor' accountants advice to use a company structure. It shouldn't affect you as a potential purchaser.

Could depend on the source of the information.

One of my rates notices comes to mind in that it states the full trustee company and the trust. I ran a Residex report this morning on that property and it states it's owned by the trustee company, no mention of the trust anywhere.

Back