Council rates on vacant land??

It might be a stupid question but why should we pay rates on vacant land. I haven't yet started to build, settlement happened 4 months ago and i have receieved a bill so is it really normal???

Last edited:
Hi

They used to be called Land Rates.

I think its the land thats the rateable commodity.

ta
rolf

Nope. Council rates apply to the entire building and the land that is underneath it. Land Tax, on the other hand, is just concerned with the land value on the property.

He He. Where I live they penalise you for owning vacant land.
Residential rate in the dollar is 0.00304999 of capital value, while vacant land is 0.00518498.
Note not all municipalities raise rates using the same methods, but in the end they set rates to try and raise enough money to cover their annual budgets.

Road maintenance, council services like rubbish removal, maternal & health services, parks etc etc...most of our rates are in the land component, not the house component.

The council probably sent you a brochure outlining their budget for the year.

Yep, we just got a bill for our vacant land too. Even nicer is that we have to also pay an additional vacant land levy on top of the standard rates.

He He. Where I live they penalise you for owning vacant land.
Residential rate in the dollar is 0.00304999 of capital value, while vacant land is 0.00518498.
Note not all municipalities raise rates using the same methods, but in the end they set rates to try and raise enough money to cover their annual budgets.

I saw this kind of number in the rates.
Will it change after there is a house on the land or stay the same? The land is in Melbourne (that I'm trying to offload).

I think some of you should read your rates notices more carefully.

And for a group of capitalists, the "something for nothing" mentality sure is rife. :eek:

In Qld, the Valuer General (a State Dept) sets the undeveloped value of each and every parcel of land and notifies the owner accordingly. The owner has a right to appeal. Each council then sets the rate of tax eg vacant land is 0.00518498.. This is your contribution to the city's "amenity" and is a fair ask.

After you build you will then be required to pay cleansing, sewerage etc over and above this tax. Normally the council does not rate the building except that Letitbe's council applies a (discounted) rate (0.00304999%) to "market" value, not the "undeveloped" value. This means that owners of vacant land are paying "fair" rates, home owners are being slugged extra where most home owners in other councils aren't. (I'm not)

Rates on vacant land

Hi, sorry I am late to this discussion only having just joined the forum.
You say that charges will be levied after building but I have been charged sewerage, water and bin collection fees without having ever built on my block. I think this is ridiculous as obviously I do not have any taps or toilets connected and I do not even own a bin for the property!

It might be a stupid question but why should we pay rates on vacant land. I haven't yet started to build, settlement happened 4 months ago and i have receieved a bill so is it really normal???

Would you have bought the land if you didnt have acess to services or acess by road. It is the ability acsess services that give the land value if you dont want to pay for that go and buy land else where ,you might like to make your own road to get to it. Just because you dont make a claim on insurance doesnt mean you shouldnt pay the premium.

Hi, sorry I am late to this discussion only having just joined the forum.
You say that charges will be levied after building but I have been charged sewerage, water and bin collection fees without having ever built on my block. I think this is ridiculous as obviously I do not have any taps or toilets connected and I do not even own a bin for the property!

I do think that you should be checking with the council on that. Where I live we only get charged for the basic rate and the other charges start after a house is built.

Back