Craig Thompson Mk II

Well, I went searching to see what has become of this sordid affair.

Admin shut down the last thread after it got a bit large, but encouraged starting up a new one

Turns out, after many years, they still haven't concluded their investigations.....but the acting general manager of Fair Work Australia is now planning on having a review on how they conduct investigations.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...historys-longest/story-e6freuzi-1226271236112

Looks like, despite dragging out years and years, and costing the public via the Solicitor General over 1m in legal fees, they are no closer as to determining whether union dues of workers were used inappropriately or not.

The intention of course is to delay any investigation long enough such that any criminal charges will also be delayed, such that if proven, the seat of Dobell in NSW won't be affected.

Of course, the heat of the scenario has been taken out by the sly two-step shuffle afforded to the Labor Party by the turncoat actions of the Qlder Peter Slipper, who abandoned the Liberal team to take up the Speaker's chair, allowing Harry Jenkins to step down and return to the benches where have his vote now counts.

This also took the sting out of the Wilkie threat over pokies.

A good move by Gillard and Labor.....I didn't get to read the details how the backroom faceless boys from Labor managed to secure Slipper's defection.

In any case, this latest six months has slid by with hardly a peep out of anyone. Just goes to show, if you can drag something out long enough, the public's attention span is so thin, they'll move onto the latest American teenage sensation and forget and/or shrug off who is sitting in their Parliament representing them. Anyone from the seat of Dobell here ??

I reckon everyone is just "over it". This lack of attention and lack of determination is the thing that is the biggest Achilles heel in getting rid of the Carbon Tax. It's going to take years and two elections to reverse that Carbon Tax.....and even though the majority of Aussies don't want it, I don't reckon they are strong enough to stay the course.

I don't know that we're "over it" ... I think we are just so jaded by political meddling, lies, rorts, countless reports that cost millions and lead to inaction that it's more of a "whatever, don't bother" attitude.

Only have to look at the Henry tax report that cost millions, was full of fantastic recommendatins, but lead to nothing - the recent $8mil report outlining the need for a second Sydney airport and giving Badgery's as the recommended site, only to be poopoo-ed by federal government - the recent schools report advising what and where spending was required, again poopoo-ed - the hospital reports detailing urgent upgrades and areas of spending, only to be ignored in favour of political gain - and don't even mention any of the dozens of carbon tax reports that went contrary to what the government wants to do ...

It's going to take years and two elections to reverse that Carbon Tax.....and even though the majority of Aussies don't want it, I don't reckon they are strong enough to stay the course.

I thought the opposition will have it in also, just under a different name as with the mining tax?

But the mining tax is charged to the miners only - in an attempt to keep some of the mega profits in Australia for Australian infrastruture rather than being sent to their owners overseas (and the shareholders).

Not like the carbon tax that will affect every facet of your life from food to utilities to manufacturing etc

Back