Crazy rental application

My recently renovated rental is on the market for rent. I am using an agency to find a tenant and then will self manage. Property is on the market for $420 including lawnmowing. 3x1.

Today I received a crazy rental application. The applicant proposed to be the leasee and then sublet the house to 6 or more people. The offer was $420 per week including lawnmowing. I can't see each person paying less than $100 per week. So basically the proposal is "we'll rent the house off you for $420 per week, so that we can rent it out for $600 or more per week".

Computer says "no".

I had one a few weeks back AFTER they signed a 6 month tenancy agreement requesting that all windows on a 3 bed house are to be fitted with security shutters and they will add $5 a week to asking rent

yeaaaaa....but nahhhhhh

Anyway. I think we have found genuine tenants. A couple and a brother of one of them. Sounds odd to me but the same arrangement worked well next door for a couple of years until the rent went too high and they moved to a cheaper area.

Not a good idea to have someone else picking your tenants for you. Also under those circumstances a higher level of wear n tear would be fair so your rights shrink. Others will not take care of your house as well as you do and if you add another degree of separation it gets worse. Such is human nature. If you lose control of the tenant vetting process risks escalate. Insurance may be void.
Cheers
good luck
crest133

Not a good idea to have someone else picking your tenants for you. Also under those circumstances a higher level of wear n tear would be fair so your rights shrink. Others will not take care of your house as well as you do and if you add another degree of separation it gets worse. Such is human nature. If you lose control of the tenant vetting process risks escalate. Insurance may be void.
I don't have someone picking my tenants for me. I have paid an agent to advertise the property, run home opens, accept applications, complete reference checks, check the tenant database and then present the applications to me. I select the tenant based on my own experience and the information provided. I then property manage my own properties. I pay an agent for this service because I don't have access to re.com.au and I don't have access to the tenant databases (there are two).

I have been operating this way for 10 years across three rental properties and have had zero problems with tenants selected using this process.

I don't have someone picking my tenants for me. I have paid an agent to advertise the property, run home opens, accept applications, complete reference checks, check the tenant database and then present the applications to me. I select the tenant based on my own experience and the information provided. I then property manage my own properties. I pay an agent for this service because I don't have access to re.com.au and I don't have access to the tenant databases (there are two).

I have been operating this way for 10 years across three rental properties and have had zero problems with tenants selected using this process.

I think crest133 was referring to the offer of the tenant renting and then sub-letting the property to others.

My recently renovated rental is on the market for rent. I am using an agency to find a tenant and then will self manage. Property is on the market for $420 including lawnmowing. 3x1.

Today I received a crazy rental application. The applicant proposed to be the leasee and then sublet the house to 6 or more people. The offer was $420 per week including lawnmowing. I can't see each person paying less than $100 per week. So basically the proposal is "we'll rent the house off you for $420 per week, so that we can rent it out for $600 or more per week".

Computer says "no".

You also are likely to have immediate insurance issues with this proposal.

I think crest133 was referring to the offer of the tenant renting and then sub-letting the property to others.
I see. Yes, I think you are right. I would have no control over who lived there. I would also put money on the fact that the leasee would take no responsiblitly for damage done to the property by a sub-leasee.

You also are likely to have immediate insurance issues with this proposal.
Agreed. Not to mention running foul of the local Council's Health Regulations. Local Govt. Health Inspectors in WA have a reputation for being very hard. Any breach of the Health Regs is taken very seriously.

There may also be issues with Council Planning regulations, i.e. operating an illegal boarding house. Not to mentional the leasee would be in breach of the tenancy agreement if what they are doing breaks any laws or regulations.

Given all of the above, I can't see how I could contemplate entering into such an arrangement, even if the rent was much higher.

I'm glad I picked up some legit tenants.

Id say the rental application is a bit cheaky but I wouldnt say its a crazy one!!!

they are taking the risk so if there are any vacant rooms, they are responsibkem

its a more milder version of someone charging $120 per room for a 3bdr, whilst the weekly rent is $300

Back