Current market situation (Sydney)

Hello all,

I haven't been posting here for a long time in this forum, mostly been renting + saving for the deposit. Recently there is a need (not urgent) for me to get my first PPOR.

We are looking at the Hills area.

We are looking for standalone houses with land (existing property) in the 600k range.

Has anyone recently have buying / selling experience with these properties ?

Is it possible to talk down prices for like 10% ? I am guessing there are less interests in these properties at the moment.... ..

Thanks a lot in advance....

Hello all,

I haven't been posting here for a long time in this forum, mostly been renting + saving for the deposit. Recently there is a need (not urgent) for me to get my first PPOR.

We are looking for standalone houses with land (existing property) in the 600k range.

Is it possible to talk down prices for like 10% ? I am guessing there are less interests in these properties at the moment.... ..

Hi Bits

Your "guessing" is way out- interest for freestanding Hills houses in the $600K bracket is very healthy indeed and especially for those homes on larger blocks in particular school catchment areas. It's entry level, though it does depend on which suburbs you're searching in, as the Hills covers a no. of suburbs. Let us know where you're looking and I may be able to assist with less guesswork :)

Hello all,

You need to re-calibrate your market-o-meter. :)

The reasons for my "guess" are...

1. 600k property is pretty much out of hands for FHB, even if you saved like 30-40k cash most of it will be gone for stamp duty + LMI., LVR will be 95%+

2. FHB will probably buy new properties to get the grant + savings on stamp duty. May be because they don't care about the land and impressed with the brand new granite kitchen + German appliances and may not have subjected to strata pain before. as a result there are many new townhouses building up in the Hills area.

3. for upgraders (400k prop owner want to upgrade to 600k) they have to sell their existing property, their prosective FHB will have to pay stamp duty + no grants. They also need to pay agents comms + fund for stamp duty + LMI if they do not have enough equity in their 400k PPOR.

4. for downgraders (800k+ to 600k), I don't know how it works, but if I have 800k+ for PPOR I can buy a house much closer to CBD.

I guess each sale is a bit different, at the moment, generally speaking renting in the hills is 1/2 price of owning... you get $0 tax deduction for PPOR.

If the price needs to come down, someone has to make a low ball offer first I guess. a good point is that both myself and partner have low emotion attachments to houses in general.

Your guesses would apply to all housing but yet people still buy houses and there is high demand.

EVERYTHING decent in the Hills area is selling within 2 weeks. $600-800K.

Discounting really depends on pricing. For example one 2 weeks ago was listed for offers over $695K. It went for $727K. Did they price it low to attract buyers? or was it really worth $695K?
Another may be marketted higher because the vendor is unrealistic. eg A house was marketed at offers over $820K. If you paid $790K would you bne happy? Bercause it was then droppped to offers over $800K. What's it worth really?

So saying you got 10% discount is a mute point.

Thanks travelbug,

I guess each sale is different.... yes the ones which get sold within 2-3 weeks are those "good looking" ones, 1.5 / 2 levels, brick, relatively new.

The one I am putting offer in is weatherboard and vintage looking (however modern inside)....probably 50-60+ years old house.

Happy to pay asking price (48 hr offer) for a better condition one...

well I guess I have answered my own question then ...

The reasons for my "guess" are...

1. 600k property is pretty much out of hands for FHB, even if you saved like 30-40k cash most of it will be gone for stamp duty + LMI., LVR will be 95%+

Umm.... no it's not. I've encountered plenty of FHB's who have 600K to spend. Remember this is Sydney not Adelaide :D There are also many many parents (baby boomers) who are willing and able to assist their kids in going guarantor and loans for those tricky 10% deposits. They are not afraid of 95% lends at all.

2. FHB will probably buy new properties to get the grant + savings on stamp duty. May be because they don't care about the land and impressed with the brand new granite kitchen + German appliances and may not have subjected to strata pain before. as a result there are many new townhouses building up in the Hills area.

New homes sales have just plunged to their lowest levels in 15 yrs http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/...4e0-October_30_20124_10_2012&utm_medium=email so I doubt this is a valid argument for a demand vs supply situation. The second downside to this is the lack of properties that qualify for the current $15K new grant. After all, it's capped to $650K, with the large majority of new build homes in Sydney costing more than this. Sure, if you want to go further out to places like The Ponds (near Stanhope Gardens) you will find new homes under the cap however this is hardly considered the Hills District.

3. for upgraders (400k prop owner want to upgrade to 600k) they have to sell their existing property, their prosective FHB will have to pay stamp duty + no grants. They also need to pay agents comms + fund for stamp duty + LMI if they do not have enough equity in their 400k PPOR.

Upgraders in the Hills (and I'm referring to Castle Hill/B'Hills/Cherrybrook etc) are selling from minimum high $500K's/$600K's and upgrading to $800K-$1.2m range. There are no $400K houses in these suburbs- but if you do find one (and I'm not talking vacant blocks or demolition jobs on tiny subdivided blocks on Windsor Rd) please let me know ASAP, as I'll buy it :D

4. for downgraders (800k+ to 600k), I don't know how it works, but if I have 800k+ for PPOR I can buy a house much closer to CBD.

Downgraders in the Hills tend to downsize to newer apartments (eg: The Grand near Castle Towers is a classic example) or smaller newer homes, and believe me when I tell you there is a pent-up demand for newer single level homes in these suburbs in the better locations (walk to shops, transport)- they often fetch a premium when they do come up for sale. You can buy 2 bed units starting from $450K but in my experience, most downgraders still prefer to buy 3x2 apts in this area.

Of course you can buy something closer in for $800K but not everyone wants to necessarily live nearer to the cbd, believe it or not ;) Some of us are very happy to reside in the Hills with decent tracts of land, a roomy well-maintained house and a neighbourhood that feels secure. Horses for courses really.

I guess each sale is a bit different, at the moment, generally speaking renting in the hills is 1/2 price of owning... you get $0 tax deduction for PPOR.

And so is the case in many parts of Sydney- it's certainly not restricted to the Hills alone. Renting is almost always going to be cheaper. Yields, however, are superior to other suburbs. For example, this week we appraised a property in Concord for $950-1m with a lousy yield of just $580 per week. A similarly priced home in Castle Hill, for example, is closer to $800-900 p/wk.

If the price needs to come down, someone has to make a low ball offer first I guess. a good point is that both myself and partner have low emotion attachments to houses in general.

It's fine to have emotional detachment and I wish you every success in your quest. Don't go lowballing too often, though, as you'll get more results (and attention from sellers) if you pay attention to the market and know what you're talking about with recent sales etc, rather than blindly offering 10% below the asking price. Best of luck with it all.

I have plenty of cashed up pre approvals ready to go in the region

Its def a sellers market, and a 10 % from asking price is surely possible, but probably only likely where the starting point is way out from the beginning.

ta
rolf

Thanks Jacque for your insights (It is like a crash course for the Hills area).

At the moment this is not urgent - that's why we are giving low ball offers because we don't really want to move around Xmas and already have O'seas holidays lining up...

Should the urgency comes up in 2013 we always can buy at market price - we have 20% cash deposit ready and a 600k house in the hills is only at half of our borrowing capacity....

600k-700k is the range for the Hills, anything 700k-800k+ will be looking at Carlingford, Epping, even far Northern Beaches might be possible....

Thanks thepeoplesagent,

So we see the no. of sales dropped in recent years and the average 10 year compoung return p.a. is about 4%......

Jacque,

this is one piece of terrible news, I need to re-consider my buying in the Hills Strategy....

http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/4...uted-when-north-west-rail-link-opens/?cs=1832

That means for people who works in Sydney CBD, now it is 45 mins from old northern road to Wynyard, after the NW rail opens, they need to catch a bus / drive to the station, find place to park, catch a train from castle hill, change at chatswood, if they can get in the packed trains, then to wynyard !

I bet it will be at least 1hr15 minutes minimum for the journey. not to mention time wasted waiting for bus in castle hill station.

THAT you did not tell me...

Berowra

I can never figure out why people don't look north of Hornsby in these circumstances. I am penning this on the fast train from the city. A pleasant 45 minute journey in an air conditioned carriage...house prices here are relatively affordable. We have the Hawkesbury, the bush, Central Coast beaches up the road, a Coles and Aldi shopping centre, awesome schools, public and private a train ride away....just sold PPOR for 691,500 to move into investment that has a cracking view of Berowra marina.

The Hills is one big traffic jam already. Forget the rail link. At least for another decade, and the beaches are a nightmare too, with more high rise only adding to the congestion from Dee Why forwards. That's my two cents. Good luck!

Jacque........THAT you did not tell me...
With all due respect bits1010, you are on a public forum getting free information from a professional BA - and Jacque is up there with the best of them.

You might have some complaint, IF you were a paying client of hers (I assume you aren't).

In any event, all the info is out there on the internet, if you want to do your own research. ;)
Cheers, Alan

Jacque,

this is one piece of terrible news, I need to re-consider my buying in the Hills Strategy....

http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/4...uted-when-north-west-rail-link-opens/?cs=1832

That means for people who works in Sydney CBD, now it is 45 mins from old northern road to Wynyard, after the NW rail opens, they need to catch a bus / drive to the station, find place to park, catch a train from castle hill, change at chatswood, if they can get in the packed trains, then to wynyard !

I bet it will be at least 1hr15 minutes minimum for the journey. not to mention time wasted waiting for bus in castle hill station.

THAT you did not tell me...

Im sure that came across in a way that it wasnt meant to.

We are looking at the Hills area..................I think you said ?

That sort of implies you have done some form of research or have an idea of what you are looking for.

I live in Qld and know of the traffic hassles, so its not some well kept secret

ta
rolf

There aren't many places in Sydney where you dont have traffic issues to be fair. You'd need to live at the Toaster in Circular Quay and work in the city to consider yourself free of traffic issues. Its a disaster from 530am-730pm just about everywhere, these days. This is what happens in a city approaching 5 million, split by water, with a CBD to the extreme east of the metro area so that everyone is approaching or leaving from one of 3 or 4 roads at the same time, and with a road system built to cater for a population of 1million, and no new rail in two generations. Even the newest ring roads are 2 lanes each way and are overwhelmed /jammed before they even open. You have to wonder how they think replacing 3 and 4 lane arterial roads with 2 lane freeways that merge onto those same arterial roads is meant to solve anything... or how they built the entire Sydney rail network a century ago with 1 million population and a much lower tax base, but cant get one new line built in 25 years of trying, with 5 times the population and tax base.

Hmm... anyway. That being said- The Hills is a very popular and nice area of Sydney. Lowest prices are in Winston Hills. Middle prices in North Rocks and Baulkham Hills. Dearer across at Castle Hill and West Pennant Hills. If you are looking for sub 600K you'll need to focus on Winston Hills, Northmead, Toongabbie , Seven Hills etc. More towards Blacktown, basically.

I disagree with Cherrybrook being described as remotely "hills" area though.. Parramatta is closer to the Hills than Cherrybrook, by quite a distance. :)

that news (no express bus service to city) comes out only two days ago, before that the community knows about the upcoming rail link, which is generally a good thing, however they do not (certainly) know that the express bus service will be cancelled.

I believe the rail link will be under a private-public partnership, which means the government probably needs to guarantee it by not running the express bus service to CBD, to aid with revenue making.

this week many new properties are listed for sale in that area, now I understand why.

Caveat emptor !

P.S. Thanks Virgo and Lucky88 for the location suggestions, the problem for me is my other half only wants to catch the bus to the CBD to work (she gets train sick). Now that's tricky isn't it ? So for northern beaches traffic is bad and you won't find anything good for under 800k, same as epping / macquarie park / marsfield with 1 hr 288 morning ride to city.

So now we are looking at frenchs forest / forestville, seems to have decent choices for 700-800k with the 270 / L70 bus.

Really I like the Hills area too ! but with no buses no deal.... all my research and inspections in the past months are wasted....

Last edited:
Bits- is that you offering nearly 10% off asking price in the Hills this week?

If so, nice try but you don't want to get a reputation with agents as a time waster.

There aren't many places in Sydney where you dont have traffic issues to be fair. You'd need to live at the Toaster in Circular Quay and work in the city to consider yourself free of traffic issues. Its a disaster from 530am-730pm just about everywhere, these days. This is what happens in a city approaching 5 million, split by water, with a CBD to the extreme east of the metro area so that everyone is approaching or leaving from one of 3 or 4 roads at the same time, and with a road system built to cater for a population of 1million, and no new rail in two generations. Even the newest ring roads are 2 lanes each way and are overwhelmed /jammed before they even open. You have to wonder how they think replacing 3 and 4 lane arterial roads with 2 lane freeways that merge onto those same arterial roads is meant to solve anything... or how they built the entire Sydney rail network a century ago with 1 million population and a much lower tax base, but cant get one new line built in 25 years of trying, with 5 times the population and tax base.

Hmm... anyway. That being said- The Hills is a very popular and nice area of Sydney. Lowest prices are in Winston Hills. Middle prices in North Rocks and Baulkham Hills. Dearer across at Castle Hill and West Pennant Hills. If you are looking for sub 600K you'll need to focus on Winston Hills, Northmead, Toongabbie , Seven Hills etc. More towards Blacktown, basically.

I disagree with Cherrybrook being described as remotely "hills" area though.. Parramatta is closer to the Hills than Cherrybrook, by quite a distance. :)

Well CB does border WPH so it's easy enough to slip it in there :D though it's officially in Hornsby LGA. It's actually bordering a Hills LGA suburb, just as Parramatta is - North Parra and Oatlands actually are in the Hills LGA after all. If we're going to be pedantic, however, Seven Hills and Toongabbie are actually in Blacktown and Parra/Holroyd LGA's not the Hills. The suburb names themselves can be misleading :)

For a great link to LGA maps including suburb lists we use this site:
http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_regions.asp

Back