DA Approved plans and retaining wall

Hi,

I am new to property investing and was looking at getting a house and land package in the Redlands council area. As part of my due diligence, I've obtained the submitted and approved plans for the land.

The Lot I was looking at is the southern most lot of a property subdivided into four. The land had natural flow gradient from North to South. The approved plans show they are changing the gradient so the flow will be from South to north and a drainage pit to be constructed in the north west corner. It also shows a proposed retaining wall along the western and southern sides of the 4 x lots.

** Street**
------------
- Lot 1:::::- *
------------ S
- Lot 2:::::- t
------------ e
- Lot 3:::::- e
------------ t
- Lot 4:::::- *
------------

I have been advised that they are no longer installing a retaining wall as the 'land is flat'.

My questions are:
* If a retaining wall is in the proposed and approved council plans, are they required to install it or are they within their rights to alter the approved plans? If it wasn't required, why is it in the plans?
* How would I know if they graded the land as per the council plans? (plan shows a 0.5% grade in the opposite direction to original flow)
* The house is going to be on a concrete slab foundation. As the plan shows they will use infill to change the grade, does this pose an issue? I have been told you can't build a foundation on fill unless you use pier and beam footings?

Thanks.

Without seeing some clear drawings is it hard to grasp the situation exactly but the answers to your questions are:

- retaining walls on a proposed site plan are shown to indicate where the walls will be, their sizes and types. So long as the finished development complies with the Council regulations on battering and soil retention, these walls may end up being reduced. Some may even be able to be eliminated.

- You can get a surveyor to measure the grade if you want to find out what it is or you can measure it yourself with a laser level.

http://www.1728.org/gradient.htm

- The required foundations depend on the soil report. You can utilise different soil compacting methods, such as a sheepsfoot roller, and this may impact the foundation requirements.

Back