Darwin-Inpex decision getting closer

Thanks Ajax and investor2009 for your informative info!

For someone that's interested in purchasing in Darwin and has never been, would you advice going with a Buyers Agent? There's a few areas I've looked into but would probably prefer going with someone that has more knowledge of the area.

Possibly, if you are unfamiliar with the area, otherwise you can use my resources. Ask away.
Anyone who would be looking into possible property purchases would need to know budget and expected outcome you are looking for. I'm not a BA but am willing to help out where I can. I know most streets within a suburb and in some areas, one street can make all the difference. There are a few suburbs I'd buy into but streets within them that are the slums. And the opposite also rings true

Thanks investor, that's what I thought. Bit scary going in blind if there's such a difference even within streets. Do you use BA's up there or do the research yourself??

Any opinions on which areas to avoid would be great and also areas you think may benefit from the recent news of the projects going ahead.

You're welcome to PM me. My picks on areas that should be in the highest demand for workers directly from Inpex would be Howard Springs, Bakewell, Gunn & Roseberry because these areas are closest most liveable established areas to the actual plant. Which is still quite far away mind you. Never used a BA because I'm confident I know my local area just as well if not better.

I believe Howard Springs will take off with, or without Inpex because it's so close to town and classed as 'rural' with town water which is very scarce. Blocks are sized between 1-9 acres and there will not be any more large blocks that close to town. Suit owner occupiers that love piece and quiet but for std rentals my pick is for the Palmerston suburbs mentioned. They are generally better quality homes, newer and cheaper than town. But in saying that, I really don't think there will be much difference in the growth you will get anywhere around Darwin. It's quite hard to go wrong here.

If you have a street in mind at some point let me know. There are only a few streets in the whole of Darwin that I wouldn't live in, so the probability of picking one if quite slim.

Thanks investor, that's what I thought. Bit scary going in blind if there's such a difference even within streets. Do you use BA's up there or do the research yourself??

Any opinions on which areas to avoid would be great and also areas you think may benefit from the recent news of the projects going ahead.

I hear Darwin is starting to ramp up now is this true or what stage of the job is it?

What are the pay and condition like there for sparkys does anybody know?

Any info would be great

Sparkies employed by the sub-contractors to INPEX are on $63ph and upwards, depending upon position.

Things are really going ahead, with INPEX, Darwin Prison, AACO Abattoirs, Darwin Marine Supply Base, Various Mine Expansions, just to name a few.

Darwin will be the hub for Australias major projects for the next 7-10 years.

US Marine Corp are streaming in and the defence spending is just incredible!

Now is the time to buy, the boom is just about to start.

Sparkies employed by the sub-contractors to INPEX are on $63ph and upwards, depending upon position.

Things are really going ahead, with INPEX, Darwin Prison, AACO Abattoirs, Darwin Marine Supply Base, Various Mine Expansions, just to name a few.

Darwin will be the hub for Australias major projects for the next 7-10 years.

US Marine Corp are streaming in and the defence spending is just incredible!

Now is the time to buy, the boom is just about to start.

It has already started tbh with the current prices, and rents as it is.

well that's nearly double the quoted figure, so it's getting there - a qualified trade for a 40 hour week should expect about that yes

Its 5x 10 hour days and an 8 hour Saturday, numerous site allowances and overtime paid. That's the end amount though...

I think it is a pretty good rate for a tradie on wages... Even sub-contract sparkies are flat out getting $90 per hour.

The sparkies are taking home $ 2700 a week after tax for the 4 week swing ,on the 1 week off they are taking home $1700 after tax which is made up from there RDOs being paid out and a special Darwin allowance which is accumulated every hour on the job which is paid out on the week off.

Not to mention all living expenses paid for and flights home

Just an update, i'm working at the new Prison for really good money for once which is awesome. Howard springs is ramping up heavily in infrastructure and population, very busy but still nice living at the Bronzewing end, quiet as it was when wed there a couple of years ago

Back