Darwin-Inpex decision getting closer

Man those lots in Gunn are small. I remember looking at a few places going cheap there 6 months ago but the neighbours were just so close!
That the main reason we left our place in Bakewell and ended up moving to acerage in Howard Springs!

Inpex could triple in size

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/10/05/264801_nt-business.html

"THE Inpex gas plant will have room to triple in size, Chief Minister Paul Henderson will tell one of the world's big petroleum conferences in Darwin today.

The complex at Blaydin Point will have two "trains" each capable of producing 4.2 million tonnes of LNG per year.

But the site has enough space for two more trains - with the option of expanding further and adding two more.

"We hope that Inpex and other upstream companies can discover and prove up the reserves to develop these additional development sites."

Mr Henderson told the South East Asia Australia Offshore Conference at the Convention Centre that he was confident the $30 billion Territory project would go ahead.

He said Inpex would operate for at least 40 years. The Chief Minister said the Territory was in line to benefit from many other oil and gas projects...."

Also Top End tagged sweet spot in golden age of gas:-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-06/20111006-south-east-asia-gas-conference/3317854

"The Federal Government says Darwin is vital to the future growth of the Australian economy.

Federal Resources Minister Martin Ferguson has addressed the South-East Asia Australia Offshore Conference in the Northern Territory capital today.

He says northern Australia is a "global sweet spot" for liquefied natural gas projects.

Mr Ferguson says Australia can rival the Middle East in terms of resources exports in the future.

Territory Chief Minister Paul Henderson says Darwin will be the "capital of the golden age of gas".

Speakers at the event include the Australian head of Japanese company Inpex, Sean Kildare.

Inpex is expected to announce soon its final decision on a $12 billion dollar gas processing and shipping facility in Darwin...."

and

Inpex Executive Says Ichthys LNG Decision On Track; No Obstructions Visible

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industri...-track-no-obstructions-visible/#ixzz1ZymkXbEC

Last edited:
Hey Brian,

It only seems yesterday that you were up doing your daughter's roof. The reason I remember was that I was looking for my roof to be done also and the quote I was getting were shocking..

Can I suggest that when you looking around at suburbs you include MILNER which has not 'gone' off yet as they say and the blocks are nice larger sizes and TIWI. Tiwi is coming of age somewhat being next door to Lyons without the lyons price tag... Interesting things happening in both suburbs lately..

But I only observing, I am a no-one really.. just a local watching the market.

PS Bring up some rain okay???

Seabreeze

Hey Brian,

It only seems yesterday that you were up doing your daughter's roof. The reason I remember was that I was looking for my roof to be done also and the quote I was getting were shocking..

Can I suggest that when you looking around at suburbs you include MILNER which has not 'gone' off yet as they say and the blocks are nice larger sizes and TIWI. Tiwi is coming of age somewhat being next door to Lyons without the lyons price tag... Interesting things happening in both suburbs lately..

But I only observing, I am a no-one really.. just a local watching the market.

PS Bring up some rain okay???

Seabreeze

Thanks Seebreeze

It did seem like yesterday when I did my daughters roof be two years now. The prices to do the roofs are amazing and will get worse as the new safety guidelines will just put the $$$ up.

Anyway I looked at a lot of places while I was up and found one at Alawa and registered for the auction but it shot out of the blocks it was a TOTAL reno job and MAJOR yard operation. The figures I came up with were in the area of $100000 to get it up to a liveable standard. It went for early $400000s. By the time you did stamp duty etc etc I gave it a miss.

Looking at one at leanyer, wife likes, so doing some figures and see what happens. Looked at a few in both Miliner and Tiwi.

I'm back in Brisbane now, I could have done plenty of work up there I was getting asked by a lot of people when I was moving there.

I don't want to steal the tread so best get going.

Brian

Well well well. The NT News is getting back to it's old tricks again today. It was only a matter of time. Standard headline of "House prices set to soar" The article states "House prices in Darwin are expected to climb around 15% over the next three years"

Soar?.. Sounds pretty low or "standard" to me. Tomorrow's text to the editor will bring many moaners whinging about greedy landlords, again. But theres still a great chance to buy things really cheap here for a short time. They'd rather complain though and drive 2011 model Landcruisers towing expensive boats around though ;)

Dotted red line showing proposed 850km gas pipeline from Icthys in Timor Sea to Darwin. Would be an even prettier picture if it was a solid red line.

Attachments

• Icthys LNG pipeline.jpg
    Icthys LNG pipeline.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 84
Inpex inks $70 bln LNG sales from Australia's Ichthys

* Australia minister says LNG sales worth $70 bln worth in export revenue to economy

* Five Japanese utilities buy 4 mln tonnes of LNG from Ichthys

* Ichthys final investment decision seen early next year not dependent on further equity sales

* Australia minister says country to overtake Qatar as top LNG exporter

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/12/06/inpex-australia-idUKL3E7N60RI20111206

Inpex plans fire up with massive LNG sale deal

"By Lisa Mosley
Updated December 06, 2011 18:11:58

The company planning a major natural gas project in Darwin has announced it has already sold its total projected liquefied natural gas (LNG) output.

Inpex says it has sold the remainder of its LNG output from its proposed $20 billion Ichthys project to a consortium of five Japanese companies...."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-06/20111206-inpex-lng-gas-sale-deal/3715866

"Over-budget Ichthys gas deal gets Total support from backers by: Rick Wallace, Tokyo Correspondent From: The Australian December 06, 2011 12:00AM

INPEX's junior partner in the giant Ichthys LNG project, Total, has indicated the project will go ahead despite the cost blowout from $20 billion to $30bn.
The chief executive of Total, which has 24 per cent of the project, visited Tokyo last week for talks with Inpex and potential customers. Christophe de Margerie told reporters he expected the project to proceed once the final investment decision was made in the next few weeks.

The Frenchman's bullish talk on the West Australian/Northern Territory gas venture will be welcome news in Australia as a sliver of uncertainty has emerged recently with the rumours of cost blowouts and Inpex delaying the scheduled final decision on investing by a few weeks because of the "holiday season".

Mr de Margerie said even with the 50 per cent cost increase, Ichthys remained "a very profitable project" thanks to soaring LNG demand in Asia and a larger-than-expected LNG reserve.

..."Especially today, after the Fukushima incident, there is strong additional demand for LNG," he said.

"It's very important that Ichthys starts producing on time to face with the additional demand."

Mr de Margerie said Total wanted to increase its stake in the project to 30 per cent...."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ort-from-backers/story-e6frg9df-1226214542251

What I don't understand is this: The NT News has just told that the 2700 worker camp has just been approved for Howard Springs, I actually live in HS too by the way. All good, but weird they would say that before the apparent final decision has been made..

Anyhow, I don't really see how this could affect house prices here in Darwin because the workers will have FREE accommodation at the workers camp and will be fly in/fly out. ?

BUT, investor2009, all those cashed up workers will want to invest their hard earned dollars and negative gear to pay less tax. Where? Why Darwin of course. Nice and close to keep an eye on it.. Too easy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-...s-inpex-countdown-goes-on-/3761804?section=nt

""Even though we don't have a final investment decision in place, work is taking place, jobs are being created," he said.

Mr Henderson says the workers village would bring plenty of opportunities.

"That is going to create over 300 jobs in the construction phase, over 150 jobs to run the village and, of course, there are going to be spin-off opportunities for suppliers to supply goods to the village," he said.

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/NaturalGas/6829252

BUT, investor2009, all those cashed up workers will want to invest their hard earned dollars and negative gear to pay less tax. Where? Why Darwin of course. Nice and close to keep an eye on it.. Too easy.

Not necessarily. I work FIFO and many I work with have the opposite attitude. Invest back home as you know it better. If they are FIFO, they will be working 1, 2, 3, or 4 weeks of 10-12 hour days and then flown straight home, so it's better if the property is back home.

Not necessarily. I work FIFO and many I work with have the opposite attitude. Invest back home as you know it better. If they are FIFO, they will be working 1, 2, 3, or 4 weeks of 10-12 hour days and then flown straight home, so it's better if the property is back home.

+1

This project is good for Australia, not just Darwin

I know when I was working FIFO I very rarely saw anything outside the camp and construction site.

Last edited:
Back