Debt allocation after subdivision

Hi

My first post after lurking as a guest for a long time

I have an 809 Sqm block in Brisbane that is on 2 405 Sqm lots. Currently it's my PPR.

My plan is to demolish the existing residence & build 2 new houses, one investment purposes & one for my new PPR

My existing debt is equal to the value of one of the 405sqm lots, say $300k. equity is therefore $300k which implies that I own the other lot own outright.

Assuming I build one house on one of the lots for investment purposes, for taxation purposes can I claim the build cost + 100% of the outstanding debt (300k)? I would expect total debt to be circa 90% LVR

Would the process be more straightforward if I got an separate loan solely for the investment property?

Cheers

No you cant. The current debt relates to the whole land and the house. You will have to apportion it, taking into account the house and the size of the blocks.

The original cost of the land must also be apportioned for income tax and a simple 50/50 may not be correct. If they are side by side maybe. Would value of land be same if front faces a road and rear has a river view ?? If one lot has a easement etc....

And you apportion the loan too...Maybe on same basis ? Maybe 50/50

Then apportion or directly allocate costs for the build to each site.
The one you keep is then non-deductible.
The one you keep - NO you don't claim the cost to build as a deduction. QS report will give deductions. The costs are part of the new CGT costs.

Back