Definition of insanity

Perfect example:
DH said he would buy me an eternity ring for our 10yr anniversary so am I looking at jewellry websites?!?!? No :rolleyes: On bloody Somersoft and RE pages as per usual.

Someone shoot me.:D

However why is jewellery so darn expensive here?

So far USA seems to have much better pricing and options.

Diamonds are nice, but I'd rather save the money to do something more useful with.

Just say, hey, instead of this ring, how about this house? :D

Diamonds are nice, but I'd rather save the money to do something more useful with.

Just say, hey, instead of this ring, how about this house? :D

I know! Nothing says eternity like a mortgage :D

It's so hard not to be practical BUT after 10yrs marriage, 3 kids, and 16yrs together I've missed all the traditional events/dates that you give an eternity ring.

So I shall graciously accept and look at rings. It's almost as overwhelming trying to pick one as an IP!

Did she hang up on you,or put you on hold?..

Don't be silly; he's a financially astute investor on SS - he sent a text.

Their phones are with the same company, so the texts are free to same phone as well. ;)

Back to topic; send your husband around to my place so I can smack some sense into him. :D

I know! Nothing says eternity like a mortgage :D

It's so hard not to be practical BUT after 10yrs marriage, 3 kids, and 16yrs together I've missed all the traditional events/dates that you give an eternity ring.

So I shall graciously accept and look at rings. It's almost as overwhelming trying to pick one as an IP!

Just putting this out there, but depending on how much you guys want to spend, you may find it economically viable to do an actuaql trip the US and buy a ring there. My wife and I have a tradition - her good jewellery comes from 5th Avenue in New York, but we only buy it when we're actually there!

Bought my 3 ruby and 2 diamond eternity ring at a pawn shop - same time I got my three diamond wedding ring and huge engagement rock. All up cost around $400 12 years ago.

Just put them aside until the time was right.

Might even be worth buying something second hand and having it remade ... or do you have some jewellery you don't wear that can be remade? I had a gorgeous ring made, a large dark sapphire and three small diamonds, from a ring and earring that I never wore or was missing it's partner.

I think we all need to treat ourselves occasionally, otherwise what is the point of all this?

Anyway, I agree with the above suggestion to go to America for the purchase. It is not only cheaper, but the selection is so much better over there so you are sure to find something you like.

Just putting this out there, but depending on how much you guys want to spend, you may find it economically viable to do an actuaql trip the US and buy a ring there. My wife and I have a tradition - her good jewellery comes from 5th Avenue in New York, but we only buy it when we're actually there!

My BIL is in Afghanistan with the army at the moment. He's buying up every piece of jewellery he can get his hands on with the hopes of flogging them off when he gets back to Adelaide in a couple of months. He reckons diamonds are about half the price over there as they are here.

He reckons diamonds are about half the price over there as they are here.
Just tell him to be very very carefull the fakes diamonds that are out there these days will even scan up as real but they are fakes,i was looking at some the other day from Vietnam that someone I know bring in along with several other trypes of rocks and they are very hard to pick,i have some old playboy mags from the early 70's-80's that I read and a one carat diamond in those old mags back then were above 5k back then,over time with inflation a good upfront diamond is still only 5k or less,5 k into property back in the 80's would be very different today..imho..

Jewellery is very overpriced in Australia and the standard for most jewellery is 9 karat gold which is actually illegal to sell as "gold" in most places in the world as only 37% of it is acutally gold. 14 karat gold is 60% gold.

We have the same issue with diamonds here, with most big retail chains selling very sub-par stones and not providing certificates from reputable grading labs.

The Middle East, parts of Europe and the US are all much better places to buy. Let me know if you need any help choosing as I have completed a certificate to be a gemstone consultant and hope to have my own store in the future :)

Just tell him to be very very carefull the fakes diamonds that are out there these days will even scan up as real but they are fakes,i was looking at some the other day from Vietnam that someone I know bring in along with several other trypes of rocks and they are very hard to pick,i have some old playboy mags from the early 70's-80's that I read and a one carat diamond in those old mags back then were above 5k back then,over time with inflation a good upfront diamond is still only 5k or less,5 k into property back in the 80's would be very different today..imho..

Nah, I'm happy to let him learn the hard way.

Wait, what? There is text in playboy mags?

I've been married 14 years now and I think I'm over the eternity ring thing now. I'm wearing my grandmas eternity ring who passed away just before I met my husband. My grandma bought it herself, gave up on waiting for grand dad to buy one. I had a grand plan many years ago to get one when the economy was bad, thinking jewelry would get cheaper but learnt the hard way gold goes up when economy is bad. :rolleyes::D I'm not the only silly one. My friend who is a jeweler decided to work from home as well as full time when economy was bad but he found it unprofitable as gold was so expensive.
It doesn't happen to me much anymore but I used to often find broken jewellery at parks, etc. Plus I've lost a few gold and diamond earrings so have a collection of odd pieces I may melt down and design a ring one day.
My friends sister was camping and doing something on top of her four wheel drive. She jumped down and her ring got stuck on roof rack and sliced her finger off. I'm still a bit horrified so I may even go for an eternity necklace pendant instead!

Perfect example:
DH said he would buy me an eternity ring for our 10yr anniversary so am I looking at jewellry websites?!?!? No :rolleyes: On bloody Somersoft and RE pages as per usual.

Someone shoot me.:D

However why is jewellery so darn expensive here?

So far USA seems to have much better pricing and options.

Hi WM
Search for forum, there was a post some time ago regarding engagement rings, huge thread and there were some great links on where to go for your diamonds.

I have a friend who purchased from US and saved a fortune.

MTR

My friends sister was camping and doing something on top of her four wheel drive. She jumped down and her ring got stuck on roof rack and sliced her finger off. I'm still a bit horrified so I may even go for an eternity necklace pendant instead!

This very nearly happened to Mrs D. Jumped off a boat into the water, almost lost engagement ring, wedding ring, and a finger. Managed to salvage and repair all of them though.

This very nearly happened to Mrs D. Jumped off a boat into the water, almost lost engagement ring, wedding ring, and a finger. Managed to salvage and repair all of them though.

She had a couple of operations but were unsuccessful so only a stubb is left, no finger, no need for rings anymore. My hubby can't wear rings in his industry, too dangerous.

Back