Depreciation and date of construction

I'm looking at purchasing my first IP and have seen a potential. I'd prefer to purchase something post '85 for the building depreciation benefits and the agent checked with the owners who said it was built 18-20 years ago which puts construction at around 1989. Is there a more accurate way to confirm this, other than relying on what the owners say?
Thanks so much

Phone the electricity meter number and/or address through to your electricity provider and they will tell you when the place was originally commissioned and connected to the power grid.

From memory I think its Energex in Qld but you being a local will know.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rixter
Tks for your reply. I would have thought that Energex wouldnt be able to tell me anything about a property that's not mine, due to privacy. Also, am I correct that the date of construction for depreciation purposes is when construction first started.

Hi Rixter
Tks for your reply. I would have thought that Energex wouldnt be able to tell me anything about a property that's not mine, due to privacy.

I had no problem, just explained the situation of what I was wanting to do. I have done it for quite a few properties I have in Brisbane.

Hope this helps.

Back