depreciation on new stuff in old house

I am planning on becoming an investor and would like some advice on claiming depreciation on renovated kitchens, bathrooms, carpets etc in an old house. I have been viewing only newish units, attempting to get value out of depreciation. But what if I've found a 30 year old house that has been renovated extensively. Am I still able to claim depreciation as if it were a new property?

Any thoughts greatfully accepted.
WHEELS

Most houses will have things that can be depreciated. Get a depreciation schedule done by a quantity surveyor. You will be surprised how much you are able to claim.

Hi Wheels,
Yes, you can claim depreciation on a renovation done by a previous owner. The reno must have been carried out after Feb 26, 1992. Getting a fix on the date can be tricky. If it was a major structural exercise, especially if the footprint of the building was altered, there would (in the vast majority of cases) have been a BA or DA submitted to council. This doesn't often happen with kitchen,bathroom renos. You will need to ascertain the date as you will provide this to the QS. Neighbours can help and often the RE agent you bought the place through will be able to put you in touch with previous owners.
Scott

Back