DeRoos NZ proposal

G'day all,

As a recent graduate (read sucker) of a DeRoos seminar in Sydney last September, I am now on their mailing list and have received a proposal to participate in an property investment syndicate which is to invest in two commercial properties in NZ (1 Auckland and 1 Queenstown).

I say "sucker" above not because I thought the material covered in his seminar to be irrelevant / untrue or intended to mislead, more that the cost of the thing was far more than it was worth. I just didn't get the value out of it that I think it should have supplied for that amount of money. I know there are some on this forum who have already highlighted the pitfalls of such seminars for newbies. However I joined the forum in February. Back to the proposal.

It claims that NZ is a "Hot Spot" for IP's at the moment and for the forseeable future (I dont have any real disputes with this, but I will still do some of my own DD). It proposes to buy a 10 storey office block in downtown Auckland and a 25 acre block for retail development in Queenstown (allegedly to be the biggest in the region).

The proposal claims that investors will receive a 15% return (5% initially until cashflow allows the rest) with a potential for up to 29-34% in the nex few years.

I could go on with the entire 42 pages of hype, but this forum is not suitable for that length of post.

It comes complete with an official looking letter from CB Richard Ellis (Wellington) supporting the projections, and a similar letter of support from a Christchurch quantity surveyor/project manager for the construction costs of the Queenstown commercial complex.

I would like to investigate it further (a lot further), I would like to pass some figures by my accountant, Lender and possibly even ring some NZ RE agents. But they want a hasty commitment - with FUNDS TRANSFER, by 6 March (I received it Friday 28th) with the expected "time is running out - we must hurry" approach.

Although the name behind it (DeRoos) does give some form of credibility in terms of Know how and experience, I believe I've been stung by him once in the form of an expensive seminar and I am NOT going to commit anything to these guys without first investigating it fully. The old saying that "the opportunity of a lifetime comes about once a week" is sounding very true to me.

I was wondering if anyone has received the package or has heard of Montpellier, Gardez etc before. Looking forward to your views.

Cheers

Pedro

Committing funds to a venture before you've had a chance to do your due dilligence is a recipe for disaster.

Unless you can validate that this deal has potential (and not just rely on the "name" of one of the organisers) - within the next couple of days (which I think unlikely) - I'd be inclined to walk away. That is unless you are in the position of being able to take a risk !

Just my opinion.

Agree Totally Sim.

Thats pretty much what I said. Just wondering if anyone else has received the same proposal.

Pedro

Luckily Im pretty good at avoiding snail mail spam so I havent received anything from DeRoo's.

The proposal claims that investors will receive a 15% return (5% initially until cashflow allows the rest) with a potential for up to 29-34% in the nex few years.

So thats 29-34% CASHFLOW ie yield within the next few yrs..... that sounds good if they deliver on these promises.

Other things to consider... how is you capital protected ? is there capital appreciation (or depreciation) ? how liquid is the investment ? is there a timeframe for the project w/ return of capital ?

Just my thoughts.... albeit quick ones....

PS I dont mean to sound overly negative... just do some investigation, it could be the deal of the century

PS. I moved this to Caveat Emptor because I think it is the right place to discuss deals like this !

I think a good poker adage applies here: "If you look
around the table and can't see the sucker, it's probably
you!" :)

I've read some Terry Ryder books recently, and I'm
pretty sure what he'd have to say about this deal from
the sound of it...

G'day Pedro,

Just a few extra thoughts.

I know many forum readers/posters like to control their investments (thus won't buy one or two units, but WILL buy a whole block). This proposed investment removes "control" from you as soon as you sign up. Therefore your profits are in the hands of "someone else".

Sounds good, %age wise, but what can I do as an investor to ensure it meets those goals? Answer, diddley.

Could be a good deal for someone, though.

Sorry, I can't help either with your original question

Regards,

I also received a copy of the "prospectus", sent by special courier from Auckland. Flashy on pictures, on thorough reading it doesn't give anywhere near enough detail to justify tipping in the minimum required $50k, specially with the 'hurry now' sort of hype.

With some friends I have a loose association where we supply mezzanine finance for various projects but anything that needs our assistance has to give considerably more data than supplied here.

It's not just good enough to be well known in the industry, you are really only as good as your last deal. There is no track record on this type of investment, it may well be the best thing since sliced bread but it won't be getting any of my money.

Hey Pedro,

you mentioned a 42 page document full of hype - is this a prospectus/product disclosure statement/Info memorandum?

Wouldn't they need one to raise money IN AUSTRALIA for a pooled investment even if it is in NZ???

Thanks for all the replies.

I was sceptical of this venture and did not see a possible investment. I agree that in a "joint" venture such as this you surrender all control of the investment so one is at the mercy of the holding company.

Les, I never chew on anything I cant pronounce . . . :D

Nigel, The document is an office printed booklet with spiral binding and looks "home made". I also assumed that any prospectus would need the approval of the ASIC here in OZ, It doesnt appear to be the case

Cheers

Pedro

These returns are pretty poor.

If you had $50,000 you could use this as a deposit on your own property and make a much better return with much more control overit.

Reply Received

Sorry Jas,

Yes I did get a reply. see below

Basically they want me to do the research. I dont have the time to go find the info and then wade through them to interpret the contents. A simple yes or no would have done.

I just wont invest in it.

Dear Mr. Delgado,

Thank you for your email.

I would refer you to section 700(4) of the Corporations Act 2001 - Coverage Of The Fundraising Rules, and also Chapter 6.D of the Corporations Act 2001. These two sections should aid you in answering your question.

Also;
Policy Statement 72 - Foreign securities prospectus relief.

which deals relief for foreign securities prospectuses, and;
Policy Statement 151 - Fundraising: Discretionary powers.

Which will provide detail on parts of policy statements that might have been superseded since the Financial Services Reform Act came in.

Yours sincerely,

Alister Dunne
Customer Service Officer
ASIC Info Line
1300 300 630

Back