developing 5 units Canada bay council nsw

first time developing, 5 units Canada bay council nsw cost?

Hi all,

This is our first project so any help are much appreciated :).

We have approached town planner and architect and was advised to do pre DA.

Cost
Architect 40k
Surveyor 2k
Town planner 2-4k..

quote from one of builder was $3500/square meter to build unit including landscaping.

Before we go ahead with preDA would like to know how much everything cost.

Does the price seem right? Also how much am I expecting to pay for basement parking and lift?

Also any suggestion for town planner, architect, builder for Canada bay council. Went to duty planner a few time but didn't get any luck.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
STOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Whatever you do, do NOT do a PRE-DA meeting.

Firstly a Pre-DA meeting will not tell you anything if you are trying to do anything outside the current DCP controls. Secondly, they will only tell you what your architect will already know. Thirdly, lets say you try for a 6th unit, if they say no in the Pre-DA yet it does comply with most DCP controls they will use the excuse of the Pre-DA to cover themselves and reject your DA where it could have otherwise been approved.

Use an architect who has done work recently with Canada Bay council recently. They will know who the contacts are and can make an informal meeting with the relevant planner at council. These informal meetings are more valuable as the planner is much more comfortable telling you what you can squeeze as they are not on record.

If you have been advised to complete a Pre-DA its because either your architect or planner have not dealt with Canada Bay council.

If you have not seen any recent develpments in the council that are similiar to yours its worth trawling around the Application Enquiry to find developments and see who the architect was.

See the below link:

http://masterview.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/Modules/ApplicationMaster/default.aspx?page=search

Firstly you will save yourself the money from the Pre-DA and you will have an architect who has recently dealt with council.

Remember, it is who you know, if you architect knows the planners/councilors it will make your life much easier.

Hi belvoir,

Would that also be the case if the town planner that I talk to have worked in Canada bay council before. Also the architect that I talked to was referred by the town planner.

The recommended me to do pre DA cause my land size didn't meet the requirement.

Thank you

STOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Whatever you do, do NOT do a PRE-DA meeting.

Firstly a Pre-DA meeting will not tell you anything if you are trying to do anything outside the current DCP controls. Secondly, they will only tell you what your architect will already know. Thirdly, lets say you try for a 6th unit, if they say no in the Pre-DA yet it does comply with most DCP controls they will use the excuse of the Pre-DA to cover themselves and reject your DA where it could have otherwise been approved.

Use an architect who has done work recently with Canada Bay council recently. They will know who the contacts are and can make an informal meeting with the relevant planner at council. These informal meetings are more valuable as the planner is much more comfortable telling you what you can squeeze as they are not on record.

If you have been advised to complete a Pre-DA its because either your architect or planner have not dealt with Canada Bay council.

If you have not seen any recent develpments in the council that are similiar to yours its worth trawling around the Application Enquiry to find developments and see who the architect was.

See the below link:

http://masterview.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/Modules/ApplicationMaster/default.aspx?page=search

Firstly you will save yourself the money from the Pre-DA and you will have an architect who has recently dealt with council.

Remember, it is who you know, if you architect knows the planners/councilors it will make your life much easier.

Great info.

Hi belvoir,

Would that also be the case if the town planner that I talk to have worked in Canada bay council before. Also the architect that I talked to was referred by the town planner.

The recommended me to do pre DA cause my land size didn't meet the requirement.

Thank you

Has a similar size site been developed before? If so how recent and who was the architect?

Yes similar size develop before, stupid 2005/2007. A few actually. I've also been on the link that belvoir also recommended because it was advice by duty planner to look up that. But couldn't find the architect or town planner.

Before I talked to architect,I thought the only important person to convince the council was town planner but seem like architect do a of work. So is the price given sound right?

I am in Strathfield council, we did pre-da and in the process of submitting full DA. We are trying to get an approval for dual occupancy(two independent houses on one title), corner block, so one at the front and one at the back with each one has its own entrance. We are 8 sqm short of minimum required as per council requirements, Planner is going to do a report saying why it's okay to still give approval(corner block, existing driveway to busy road etc) with out setting a precedent.
We are using Glendenning as planner and my architect is good guy but very slow, he said he did(& doing) lot of projects with Canada Bay.

Back