Different traits for different states

Am settling on a Melbourne property this week and was surprised to learn that even though land tax is levied at 31 December, the cost is pro-rated with the purchaser. (ie. I have a land tax component for settlement in the following February.)

This is definitely not the case in WA where land tax is fully liable to the owner as at midnight 30 June of the relevant year.

Whilst no big deal to me personally, I am constantly amazed at how every facet of life seems to differ between each state of Australia.

One example is the school system (including entry, curriculum and years), as well as stamp duty, land tax, contracts of sale etc …….. it almost seems like each state is a separate little country within Australia.

I can understand that it has evolved this way because each state government can change, but given the relatively small size of Australia, why should everything be so different given we are living in the same country..??

Anyone care to shed some light?

Joe D

Australia is indeed a federation of individual states, who by choice give over powers for certain things to the Federal government.

The rebel in me likes this, the pragmatist hates it.

Inefficiencies like this can make a bi difference to property investment eh?

TB

i think you will find that the majority on the forum thinks there should be no such thing as a state governement - a waste of money and only causes more bickering between levels of government.

Back