Direct shares

Disclosure 2...Anyone dumb enough to take share advice on the internet deserves to lose all their money.

TC is spot on here. Monkey, I'd like you to do an experiment for me. Go into the middle of Canberra during lunchtime, so there are lots of people walking around. Then I want you to look around and ask yourself 'Would I walk up to any one of these people and ask them for stock tips?' I'm gonna guess that the answer would be 'No way!'.

You might be wondering what that has to do with this thread...

Well, the internet is a public space, only it is worldwide and anonymous. If you wouldn't walk up to a complete stranger on the street and ask for stock tips, why do it on the internet - which is exactly the same thing.

I understand what you mean. I didn't choose them because they're a property company, just like the numbers. Analysed the company well, confident that they're stable. Diversification wasn't my aim, just using them to learn a bit and generate above- bank return (7% so far). If I lose the money it won't matter, not a relatively substantial amount, just testing some value investing principles.
And of course you can call me bill, william's not my real name anyway(it's a pun on how much wealth I want to Accumulate. A long way to go!)

Mr. Fabulous;960888 Well said:
Its a witty point, but of course it applies to pretty much every question asked here. From teeth filings to bathroom tap selection.

Like shares, these too require one to take a risk and spend money.

It is precisely the fact that SS is (1) largely anonymous and (2) has a sufficient number of broadly sensible and informed people that make it a worthwhile place to seek views (not advice).

And of course some people's views are more useful than others.

cheers!

hmm.. I made about 6% in 6 months playing around with UOS, but would have made 15% on it if I had just bought and waited until now to sell instead of flitting in and out. I'll try to follow buffet's instructions more carefully next time ;)

Depends on your strategy. You're probably better paying it off your mortgage for a low risk tax free return. That said I like LICs like AFI, ARG etc and the ETFs mentioned previously especially if you are gearing it- you would be looking for a "steady" return that direct shares struggle to provide.

Depends on your strategy. You're probably better paying it off your mortgage for a low risk tax free return. That said I like LICs like AFI, ARG etc and the ETFs mentioned previously especially if you are gearing it- you would be looking for a "steady" return that direct shares struggle to provide.

best 'opinion' in my opinion:p

when one is looking at research, one needs to give consideration to the 'purpose' of that research.

Some brokers have bigger 'sell' side divisions than others. The greater the 'sell side' division, the less you can rely on the 'recommendation' (however i still consider the financial forecasting, just not the recommendaton).

For those out of the loop, 'sell side' is used by brokers to churn trading of accounts. Its used to update 'stories', get in, get out etc etc.

CBA

ANZ

WBC

The banks have had a good run of late

BHP

RIO

Miners, as we know, are going through some turbulence

Interesting to look back, updates now on the miners and banks above

Telstra's shareprice has fallen a lot in last two weeks (alomg with the banks)

Attachments

• TLS.JPG
    TLS.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 42
I wondered if there were any opinions regarding the Telstra share buy back?

I sold out of tls 2 days ago. Lucky I did as it's kept dropping.

I didn't like the buy back. Who knows what the buy back price is going to be and you have to offer a 6 - 14 % discount and there may be a scaleback.

I know the sale price above $2.33 will be a fully franked dividend and there may be tax advantages, but nay, its not for me. I can reivest after the buy back is over and hold for the Feruary divi.

Some slightly unfair comments. I did post this in the Coffee Lounge, which I thought allowed for banter of this type.

People can of course choose to reply or not.

Lectures on the villainy of profiting (or losing) from "free advice" probably unnecessary!

(but monkeys have thick skin - and hair)

cheers!

Dont worry, public forum people can voice their comments and criticism
take what is good, discard what is bad, ignore the people who you don't want to deal with and you be very happy.

your purpose is to research and collect information that benefit you don't engage in useless argument :)

you can also head over to http://www.aussiestockforums.com/ which is more shares focus

I wondered if there were any opinions regarding the Telstra share buy back?

The only good part from the paperwork that came in the po-box today is annual general meeting is in Brisbane on 14th October at the Brisbane
Convention Centre,,23.3B income,Net Profit after Tax $4.3b,$3.7 billion to Shareholders up 29.5%..

At least when you ask a question to the board at the "AGM"and as some investors get fired up prior on the free beer tea ect too much sugar,the
security ask you to leave in a gentle way,and show you to the door:)...

Back