Diversified Property Investments

What other ways do you use to invest in property?

• Direct Commercial Property (Office/Retail/Industrial)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Listed Property Trusts

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Unlisted Property Trusts

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Public Property Syndicates

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Private Property Syndicates

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 41 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would think that most property investors on this forum would have a focus on residential property.

Has anyone ventured into commerial property (office/retail/industrial)?

What about the use of property trusts and syndicates?

I'm particluarly wondering what sort of commercial property investments people may be involved in directly (as opposed to via listed trusts or syndicates), what sort of minimum amounts are needed to invest in this sector, and what would be considered a safer or conservative way for an investor to enter this market and get some experience?

Any votes/thoughts/comments appreciated.

GSJ

Last edited:
We use a mix of all, except direct ownership.

A purchase of a minimum bundle of a listed trust is $500 + brokerage. They have the highest liquidity (can sell pretty much on any trading day), but tend to have slightly lower yield.

Unlisted trusts have higher minimum entry - typically in the $10,000 mark. They tend to have higher performance than listed trusts, but are generally illiquid.

We also make use of property trust funds (a managed investment of a mix of listed and unlisted trusts) which are available through the big platform "resellers" - minimums for entry typically range between $2,000 to $5,000. They also have the advantage of being relatively liquid, requiring between 1~7 week's notice to get your money out. On the down side, there is less visibiity to the exact activities of each of the component trusts.

It is a low cost entry into owning part of a large commercial/industrial building - a recent purchase by one of the trusts we have money in, was a $41m building leased to 2010, currently rent at $4.5m pa (ex GST). I wouldn't pull off a deal like that on my own!

Cheers,

The Y-man

We use direct ownership only. Controlling the dirt is everything for us.

Our business plan clearly states that we will not purchase residential titles, and for the last two years this policy has served us very well indeed.

So far the four industrial titles our group has purchased (one strata and three green) have all been cashflow positive and produced excellent growth.

The first industrial property was a purchase and forget. Everything was done, with a 10 year lease in place and the tenant merrily going about their business. This was deemed to be most appropriate for us whilst we learnt the lingo and different business terminology / conditions.

We have since become braver and the last three titles were all very distressed, with a majority of the property's value tied up in the land component. The rat bag tenants were evicted, the property's cleaned up and new long term leases were negotiated and signed up with quality national Lessees. They pay for everything - all outgoings, all consumables, all renovations, all repairs, and the nett rent prior to GST is more than our 106% loan costs.

Our next step will most likely be a commercial office block in the city, although we've heard some negative stories, so until they are eliminated or verified, we'll stick to what we know. If it all gets too hard we'll remain in some of the prime industrial titles that large firms seem to want to tie up for the longer term. WA's mining and oil and gas sector's current upswing is certainly helping most Lessor's sign up long leases on very favourable terms.

thanks for letting us know your strategy, dazzling. an interesting glimpse and makes one want to hear more. was it hard work bringing the rundown commercials back up to scratch? what was involved?

Well currently being in the "saving" stage of investment, and hence not owning any property yet, I can see myself in the future diversifying into light-industrial real estate.

I understand it is a very different ball game to residential real estate, and the risks are different, (higher vacancy rates, for instance, and the way business perform with respect to the economy, etc.), but the returns can be higher, and the tenants pay most of the out-goings. Plus, I feel comfortable with the idea of direct ownership, and I feel physically comfortable with this sort of property, unlike retail, for instance.

Direct Commercial IP's

Only 2 votes here for people involved in direct commercial IP's so far.

Dazzling, I think we are a bit "thin on the ground" in this forum with regards to knowledge/experience in commercial property, so I appreciate your contributions. You speak of "our group" - do you mean your family or your trust or structure or business, or are you investing with other individuals or businesses in partnership? Is it as joint venture/syndicate? Also, curious as to what sort of ball-park figure your group is spending on these industrial properties - the image I get is of huge sprawling complexes on large amounts of land in outer suburbs, costing millions?

I feel that residential property is an excellent base or foundation upon which to build wealth, particularly given the high leverage that is possible in this sector (eg. 95% LVR) and the high capital growth potential for well-selected properties in good suburbs/positions, purchased at a good time in the cycle.

Having said, commercial properties, whether they are retail, office or industrial offer further pros and cons that can be used as part of a developing property portfolio.

Again, the comments of those with experience in these sectors are appreciated.

Add: For anyone interested, an excellent introductory book on commercial property is "How investing in commercial property really works" by Martin Roth and Chris Lang.

GSJ

Last edited:
I have 3 commercial properties all retail and all have residential units upstairs, which helped me convince my bank that investment loans were more appropiate than a commercial loans, 1% in my pocket :)
All properties are cash pos with low vacancies in regional citys.
My plan is to replace my income in the future with a passive one, so at the moment i am looking for a residential IP in melb with CG potential so one day i can reduce the loans on the best income producing IPs

Yield vs Capital Growth

Emu, wow you have 3 commercial properties! Sounds like they have been giving you some positive cash flow, I'm curious though as to how they have done in terms of capital growth?

What do you think is the impact of having a residential unit above the retail shop (apart from getting a cheaper interest rate) - has it made the overall property more valuable, or less valuable?

What are your thoughts on investing in commercial property in regional areas? Is it more risky, given that in general the commercial property sector is affected by the performance of the economy, and that you also have to look at the local economy and the performance of various industries within the regional area, or the "regional economy"?

Do you have any suggestions/advice/comments to anyone considering direct commercial property investment as you have? Would you still invest in commercial property in the future?

GSJ

lizzie said:
thanks for letting us know your strategy, dazzling. an interesting glimpse and makes one want to hear more. was it hard work bringing the rundown commercials back up to scratch? what was involved?

They were all industrial sheds constructed in the 60's and 70's. Not flash commercial buildings like what most people have in their minds eye. Very ordinary tin sheds sitting on prime big chunks of dirt close to the CBD.

The work wasn't very difficult, mind numbing in fact, just alot of picking up other people's garbage that had accumulated over many years. Bobcat's and trucks and human hands and backs are great for this, along with rakes and brooms and bins....pretty basic stuff I know but makes a hell of a difference to the outlook of the place. One prop had 88 tonnes of rubbish removed from it. We found messy people absolutely will not pick up their mess. They are simply blind to it. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice 8' high security fence around the perimeter, which was hidden from view.

The difficult bit comes when personally confronting illiterate tradesmen and general scally wags who think that the shed, after being their home for the past 15 years - some even live on site - despite strict council regs banning this, should be theirs for free and no need for paperwork, rent or leases. We found lawyers and letters and PM's completely useless dealing with these people. They tear letters and eviction notices up in your face, usually 'cos they can't read them. They usually get the message when the bobcat and truck have finished with their garbage. It speaks their language.

Negotiating leases was a big challenge, especially when the Directors of the corporations were in Sydney and Melbourne. Writing the 48 page leases up and going head to head with their hoighty solicitors was also a good experience. It gets easier and easier as the deals go through.

Having great tenants commit to a long lease and dealing with responsible people who actually commit to what is written in the lease and are very familiar with contract law is a breathe of fresh air. This is one of the most enjoyable aspects of owning industrial property.

I suppose the other is having the Directors undertake extensive renovations on our properties to modernise them. When they are after large laydown areas, the buildings become secondary to their requirements. If they have 5 x 40' containers and a constant stream of semi's circling the building, truck access and manouverability becomes crucial. Big land helps this and they are forced to pay a premium for this.

Turning a prop. around from a dingy dust covered tin shed to a place that a large corporation is proud to call their head office is certainly satisfying. Having the bank valuers go out there, with fully executed long term leases under their arms is obviously the end of the line. Once you're at that stage, it's usually time to trot off to the bank and do it all again. It is starting to wear a bit thin though, all of this confrontation with rat bags / negotiation / arguing with lawyers / revaluing. This is why we are looking at maybe office blocks in the CBD. Buy something where most of the work is done and the existing tenants are able to read and write properly. Who knows ??

Prices vary a great deal depending on the area and access to major trucking routes. I still think you can pick up a decent standard say, 100sqm office with a 500sqm warehouse in the metro area for the same price as a normal 4x2 in a metro area. These are popular with owner occupiers. This isn't our cup of tea and so haven't explored that too much.

Scale is important I believe to get a decent percentage return, having seen some of the reasonably large deals on offer. Big corporations don't quibble over price too much. If they need it for their operation, they'll pay the price. The rent is just another cost of business, written off against tax. My experience is the Directors are more concerned about getting the right sized place and right position. Once these are sorted, they concentrate back on making revenue for their business - the rent impost is way down their priority list.

PATIENCE v QUICK $

I remember in the late 80's how after the housing boom commercial properties started to boom, precast office showrooms were being built everywhere including a lot around SE melb, and i thought at the time how are they ever going to fill them, its was the same with the housing development at jolimont railway yards, precast townhouses 9m-4.5m, kennels i called them at 180k.
This all shows how wrong i was.
Anyway to answer your question GSJ
91 retail shop + 3br unit 95k now 322k 17kyr
98 retail shop divided + 2br unit= 3 tenants 156k now 280k, 19kyr
02 retail shop double front + 2 2br units 180k now 380k, 23kyr
I have been quite lucky with the location of the shops because their are some close to mine which have been vacant for long periods, but they were quite small (under 50sqmtrs).
I have never had a vacancy of more than 1 week for any of the units, they are sought after by a range of lower income singles, couples who like the privacy and location in the middle of a shopping strip.
At the moment having residential upstairs suits the areas but they are flexable because if things change in the area they could be converted to
offices, which is on the cards for one of them.
More tenants = less risk

I am a history buff, if it's happened before there's a good chance it will happen again, look at where some of the baby boomers are heading (murray region) they are all cashed up and some are buying themselves small businesses. The populations are increasing, areas are growing.

I have always wondered, how many investers who make a huge gain within a boom period say 3yrs, and suffer in the aftermath due to high LVR+stagnant CG+ higher interest rates, just thinking out loud.

I can afford to buy one more IP at this time which will be sacrificed at retirement depending on the yield+CG, thats in 25 yrs.
I am confident that i will be financially independant by that time, and i will keep buying commercial IPs thoughout that time, but only when i can afford to suffer downturns in the market more than most will.

More reading...

Thanks Dazzling and Emu for your replies. Just realised there's 67 pages on commercial property on PI.com, so I'm catching up on some reading.

GSJ

Back