Do buyers normally go along during inspections?

Hi guys

We are currently in the process of arranging our building and pest inspections. Got an email from the REA yesterday, she asked us to give her mobile number to the inspection companies, and then she would liase with them to do the inspection. Are we able to go along and speak with the building inspector? There are a few areas of concern that we really want to discuss. I read another forum that had a reccomendation for a good company, they said that the inspector was really thorough and explained it in layman's terms. But when I read info on company websites, they talk about meeting with the REA or seller.

Also... is it worthwhile getting a seperate building inspection from pest inspection, or some companies appear to do both. How can I check their registrations?

Thanks!

Be careful about having too much interaction between the B&P inspector and vendor/agent. They are meant to be working for you, not the other metioned parties.

Attending the inspection with the B&P inspector - without following them around everywhere and getting in the way - is recommended.

I think it's good to go along. There are things they write in the report to cover themselves and sometimes these may be minor things. But whewn you read the report it sounds terrible.

Don't have the agent go so you can find what "really" needs doing as opposed to ALL the stuff they write down. You can then use this as a negotiation tool when discussing price. You don't want the agent saying to the vendor (their client) "but the inspector said it's only minor" etc.

From my experience, the agents usually arrange access for the P&B inspections - that means attending the premises (as the owner's representative) as they haven't completed the sale until the sale is unconditional. I have yet to see a buyer attend these inspections however if you have concerns bring those to the attention of the inspector eg I want you to check the eaves as I thought there were some water marks or the room next to the bath smells particularly damp etc.

I always attend to get the feedback first hand, and place issues in perspective, if not able to do this then have a chat directly with the inspector. The way some of the reports are written it seems like you are buying a wreck when in reality the property could be close to average for it's age.

I have to say, we only attended our first building inspection with the most recent property we bought (property number 10 in total). Having gone around the property with the building inspector, heard what he had to say, and picked his brains about how to resolve issues - there's no way I'd miss another one. It was an invaluable hour or so. Wish I'd worked this out sooner. :rolleyes:

An all in one inspection is pretty much the norm.

Many buyers attend the Building and Pest inspection and sometimes it can be in the sellers advantage because the reports can read worse than what things actually are and the inspector can explain things once they have finished.

Let them do their thing first then, do a walk around with them to go over what they found.

Back