Do you have a wealth creation plan?

Have you set your Wealth Creation strategy?

• Yes, it's written down and I reread it regularly

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I wrote something down a while back - it's around here somewhere...

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I'm planning to get round to it real soon now

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Plan? Who needs a plan, the world changes too fast for this

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
From a question in the chatroom - how many people out there have sat down & written themselves a plan about how they intend to get from where they are to wealth?

Call it a wealth creation plan, investment strategy, goal list or business plan - have you actually put it down on paper?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: We have & it does get revised regularly :)

Hi Acey :p

Is it possible to have another category that says:

Yes, I have a focused and definite plan, but I personally have no need to write it down, as it is firmly imprinted in my brain"?

I agree that a plan is invaluable in any wealth creation strategy... but contend that it does not have to be written down. Id argue that if you ( the generic "you", not you personally :p) are constantly going back to reread and check what you have written down, then it isnt firmly enough implanted in your investment psyche.

Just a thought,

Jamie :D

Hi Acey,

Great question. There have been a lot of similar questions/answers about this topic recently. After trying to reply with some sensible answers I found my own plans were somewhat lacking in details and have since been working on them.

So far I've come up with a bit of a roadmap for the next 10 years split up into 2.5 year intervals. I am estimating the property cycle will come full circle by about the 10th year

Notes :
- This following plan is in the early phases
- I may have to break the plan up into smaller intervals so I can 'see the light at the end of each tunnel'
- Paying off an IP may mean holding the necessary funds in an offset account or paying the mortage off
- The purchase of the remaining 3 IP's will probably not happen in the exact sequence as planned and will depend on availability of suitable IP's at the time. Staggered IP purchases will help with cashflow management.
- I am aiming for 1.5 - 2.0M net worth in IP's at the end of the 10 year period ($50 - $70k gross income)
- After doing some of the initial planning it became evident that acquiring the remaining 3 IP's earlier on will help make the end goal more achievable however if the purchases are staggered I can hopefully buy in all phases of the property cycle (kinda like dollar cost averaging with shares)
- In hindsight, I should have gotton this plan together a couple of years ago and got another 2 IP under my belt by now.
- I will probably need some other ideas to help pay off the IP's in 2.5year periods (quick buy, rennovate & sell - flips ... ???)

THE PLAN (draft 1)

2003(May) to 2005(November)
- Pay off IP1
- Buy 3rd IP

2005(December) to 2008(April)
- Pay off IP2
- Buy 4th IP

2008(May) to 2010(November)
- Pay off IP3
- Buy 5th IP

2010(December) to 2013(April)
- Pay off IP4 with the proceeds of the sale of an existing IP

2013 - May

Anybody else willing to share their plans/ideas or make general comments on this draft1 plan ?

Hi Dave,

To increase rent. I pointed out that the money may he held in an offset account.

My aim is to semi retire in 5 years and fully retire in 10.

Can you suggest another way to produce passive income ?

Originally posted by WillG
- I will probably need some other ideas to help pay off the IP's in 2.5year periods (quick buy, rennovate & sell - flips ... ???)

Hi

A plan hmmm

BUY LOW SELL HIGH

Can you remember that or do you want it on paper ? :p

WillG, having a closer look at your post, most of it is concerned about your goal which is to own some IPs unencumbered, but really your plan should be mostly concerned with how you are going to pay off the properties. That's the most important aspect of your plan. From the above comment you are suggesting that you will become a trader of properties in order to pay the ones you want to hold off quicker.

So basically you will trade properties in order to buy and hold some. If that is correct then you should be more concerned with the trading aspect than the buy and hold aspect of your plan because that's the vehicle you are going to use to reach your goal. ;)

Regards

Investor :)

Hi WillG,

I agree with Investor - paying off an Ip every 2.5 years is the part of your plan that will need the most work. I suppose it depends on the properties - $50k rural property - maybe you could pay off qucikly.
However, paying off, say, a $300k property in such a short space of time is a big ask. Sorry no answers for you - wish I could make that sort of money myself.

Thanks for sharing your plan with us.
Good Luck.
Lily

Originally posted by Jamie
Hi Acey :p

Is it possible to have another category that says:

Yes, I have a focused and definite plan, but I personally have no need to write it down, as it is firmly imprinted in my brain"?

Just a thought,

Jamie :D

Sorry Jamie,

I can't go back & add a new category to the poll :)

Why not write it down anyway - it takes only a few minutes & protects you in case of temporary amnesia (we all have moments when we are tempted to 'break' the PLAN).

Anyone trade shares - how important is it to follow your plan here? I contend it's the same for property :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi AceyDeucy

I have recently returned from the UK having spent 6 months there to show off our newborn :)

Anyway, before heading back (I'm British, but have emigrated to this wonderful country) I was working as a contractor in the IT industry, had been doing so for 7 years, and earned very well. The problem was I had nothing in the bank as savings, other than high equity locked up in my home. I knew this situation was not the best but never made the time to change it (I think most people have the time if they make it a priority). During my 'time-out' in the UK I made a decision not to return to the same way of life when I got back to Au. Since returning I have taken up part-time consultancy that covers bills etc.. and have just completed a first cut of a financial roadmap that will allow me/my family to create a more wealthy environment for our future. I've found that I won't have to work any harder than I used to, just smarter. I also found that investing the time to think about the areas that can be improved is a 'must do' (for me at least), and has made my goals specific and measurable. Below I've cut & pasted the Table of Contents from my plan, just in case anyone is interested in the type of content.

Basically the document covers :-

Past earnings, future projected earnings (conservative and optimistic);

Where we are at with our mortgage, along with an analysis of 'what ifs' - which outlines the savings in interest payments through increased contributions;

Where we are at with Super (One of my funds has been left to 'rot' with BT for years and has lost >30% of it's value !!).

It then goes into the more interesting stuff, like how to build a propoerty portfolio, the rationale for the type of investments I am most interested in, along with a projection for buying IPs (pace). This varies over time, and ventures into higher risk territories as I gain experience.

I then look at our plan for starting up our own business (which my wife is currently gaining industry experience), and investing in shares (which I believe is a good diversification stratgey, but predict I will not be ready for this until Year 3).

Finally I've added an action plan - a short-term plan (what needs to happen in the next 3 months, so that I can get to that first IP), and a longer-term projection, which shows the high-level timing for the above topics.

For me this has helped crystallise what needs to be done, and has been a great way of outline my thoughts for my wife (it gets things down in a sensible way, rather than my cluttered ramblings !), and, now that it's down on paper, will act as my self-measurement. The document is rather comprehensive, and is a living document - I would be very disappointed if I find in 6-months time that it is a legacy of 'what could I have done'.

I'd encourage all out there that has NOT YET STARTED to at least make a few bullet points outlining their goals along with a timeline so that they can measure their progress against short term goals. Most of us have read that they should write things down, but this is often not done (I suspect), which may well be a prediction of how they will fare in the future. For what it's worth, here is my TOC (hope it helps someone...)

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 ABOUT THIS DOCUMENT 4
1.1 PURPOSE 4
1.2 DOCUMENT AUDIENCE 4
2 INTRODUCTION 5
3 HISTORICAL FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE 7
3.1 OVERVIEW 7
3.2 JULY 1999 – JUNE 2000 8
3.2.1 Profit & Loss July 1999 to June 2000 8
3.2.2 Balance Sheet at June 2000 9
3.3 JULY 2000 – JUNE 2001 10
3.3.1 Profit & Loss July 2000 to June 2001 10
3.3.2 Balance Sheet at June 2001 11
3.4 JULY 2001 – JUNE 2002 12
3.4.1 Profit & Loss July 2001 to June 2002 12
3.4.2 Balance Sheet at June 2002 13
4 CURRENT FINANCIAL POSITION & FUTURE PROJECTIONS 14
4.1 OVERVIEW 14
4.2 JULY 2002 – MAY 2003 15
4.2.1 Profit & Loss July 2002 to June 2003 16
4.2.2 Balance Sheet at April 2003 17
4.3 JULY 2003 – JUNE 2004 PROJECTIONS 18
4.3.1 Conservative estimates 19
4.3.2 Optimistic estimates 19
4.3.3 Budget – Outgoing Expenses 20
5 FINANCIAL GOALS 21
5.1 OVERALL GOALS 21
6 FINANCIAL STRATEGY 22
6.1 THE ‘DAY JOB’ 22
6.2 THE MORTGAGE 23
6.2.1 Overview 23
6.2.2 ‘Do-Nothing’ Scenario 23
6.2.3 10 Year Clearance 23
6.2.4 Alternative Scenarios 24
6.2.5 Additional Mechanisms for Reducing Mortgage Duration 24
6.3 PROPERTY INVESTMENT STRATEGY 28
6.3.1 Overview 28
6.3.2 Education 29
6.3.3 Preferred Investment Type 30
6.3.4 Securing & Retaining Tenants 31
6.3.5 Location - State Vs Suburb 32
6.3.6 Target Number of Properties 33
6.3.7 Raising $s 33
6.3.8 In Whose Name ? 34
6.3.9 Fixed Vs Variable Interest 35
6.3.10 Tax structure 35
6.3.11 Blaker’s Road Options 35
6.4 SUPERANNUATION 37
6.4.1 Overview 37
6.4.2 Dave’s BT Funds 37
6.4.3 Dave’s Zurich Funds 38
6.4.4 Karen’s Zurich Funds 38
6.4.5 How to Manage Super in the Future 39
6.5 BUILDING CASH RESERVES 40
6.6 BUSINESS START-UP 41
6.7 SHARE INVESTMENT STRATEGY 42
7 SUMMARY 43
8 ACTION PLAN 44
8.1 HIGH-LEVEL PLAN – LONG TERM 44
8.2 HIGH-LEVEL PLAN – SHORT TERM 46
9 DOCUMENT CONTROL AND APPROVAL 48
9.1 VERSION CONTROL 48
9.2 REFERENCE DOCUMENTS 48

Hi Investor & Lilly,

I agree somewhat with what you have said in reply to my 'first draft' post. Remember it is a 'first draft'.

Would you care to share some of the ideas from your plans ?

Cheers

Back