Do you self-operate / self medicate / use homemade remedies?

Eg: ingrown toenail: get out tweezers/knife, perform 'operation', apply antiseptic & bandaid.

Wash out gummy eyes with salt water instead of store bought ointment?

Use a poultice to draw out a splinter?

I cut myself pretty badly with a knife while slicing an onion. Finger & fingernail cut up pretty badly. Put bandaids on really tightly, took panadol & voltarin, poured wine & applied to myself liberally. Checked next night. Still bleeding :eek: uh-oh. Not infected though - yeah :D! Mat asked if I wanted to get a stitch put in at the drs? No way man, that will hurt heaps:eek:! Applied Bepanthen, put bandaid back on. Applied wine. Checked finger in morning. Not black - all good so far. Not hurting. Will check again tonight, but think it's healing well now :cool:

Over to you....

I'd go to my GP........ (a bulk billing one BTW, where I have already paid thru my tax surcharge....)

The Y-man

Last edited:
I make lots of home remedys, I would have applied a comfrey or calendula salve to your cut. Although if you have a deep cut and after pressure it is still bleeding think I would have gone for a doctors visit for a suture.

I would never buy antiseptic, perhhhh when some normal saline, ie salt water is good enough.

i like the salt water thing too; will probably wash it tonight in some. I'm also thinking of breaking off a bit of Aloe & putting the gel on it in a day to help it heal.

Y-Man, bulk billing drs are really hard to get an appointment with these days, plus I'm a scaredy cat when someone wants to put a needle & stitches into me.

Salt water is gold - use it for sore throats as a gargle. Generally not into self operations exceptions being splinter extraction.

Last edited:
Didn't someone turn blue from too much of that colloidal silver stuff?

Heh heh, the wine's not for coagulation, just for pain relief, but I think that was evident :)

Salt water gargle good, also lemon juice for sore throats. Could swear a good nip of whiskey kills sore throats too.

God I sound like an alcoholic; really, I'm just a humble parent

colloidal silver i've been told in past by naturopaths to use it say a teaspoon in a cup of water for flu

but yes someone did use it topically on his skin which its not meant to be used for and they turned permanently blue but still found a girl who accepted them and married them.

colloidal silver i've been told in past by naturopaths to use it say a teaspoon in a cup of water for flu

but yes someone did use it topically on his skin which its not meant to be used for and they turned permanently blue but still found a girl who accepted them and married them.

I have read up a little on Colloidal Silver, this is a stunt for the guy to make a living.

He makes his own developing solution and rubs it on his skin regularly so that he stays blue. This way he gets paid to appear on talk shows which is his main source of income.

There is a great deal of difference between making something in your kitchen and using something made in a professional situation. It is almost impossible to make quality colloidal silver at home. Virtually all machines sold make the water far too silvery, not recommended at all.

If you needed penicillin would you eat mouldy bread and hope or would you get some from the pharmacy ?

I use Coll Silver for any abrasions, just spray it on. Sore throats, gargle twice a day. When the grandkids visit with the latest belly bug or sniffle I just gargle a couple of times after they have left and it seems to prevent me catching the latest school belly bug.

I haven't had a cold or flu for 10 years since I started using Coll Silver.

I realise that the medical companies hate good quality colloidal silver because it really could decimate their over the counter lollies but I would love to see some Uni or such do controlled studies of Coll silver.

Unlikely to happen as coll silver can't be patented so no funding available.

HTH

Eg: ingrown toenail: get out tweezers/knife, perform 'operation', apply antiseptic & bandaid.

Wash out gummy eyes with salt water instead of store bought ointment?

Use a poultice to draw out a splinter?

I cut myself pretty badly with a knife while slicing an onion. Finger & fingernail cut up pretty badly. Put bandaids on really tightly, took panadol & voltarin, poured wine & applied to myself liberally. Checked next night. Still bleeding :eek: uh-oh. Not infected though - yeah :D! Mat asked if I wanted to get a stitch put in at the drs? No way man, that will hurt heaps:eek:! Applied Bepanthen, put bandaid back on. Applied wine. Checked finger in morning. Not black - all good so far. Not hurting. Will check again tonight, but think it's healing well now :cool:

Over to you....

I thought Voltarin was an anti-inflamatory i.e. I've used it when treating my damaged ankle?

I thought Voltarin was an anti-inflamatory i.e. I've used it when treating my damaged ankle?

Anti-inflammatories have pain killing properties.

Voltarin suppositories are sometimes used instead of Pethidine after C-sections with pain relief reported as being just as effective as Pethidine, but without the 'spaced out' feeling and effectiveness lasting up to 24 hours.

I manage in grown toenails and hairs myself through various means of extraction. I have removed several cysts on my head over the years. Splinters I just use tweezers, or if that doesnt work dig around a bit to get it out. All sorts of remedies for colds.

Brandy works the best I think for strained throats. (I have spoken at a conference for 2 days with a water bottle with diluted brandy in it..... not sure if anyone noticed the alcohol breath, but it was very effective in keeping my voice going)

but if you need stitches, you need to get it done within 24 hours. My son cut his leg badly and I didnt realise it was so bad. But the cut kept opening up for months afterwards. The Drs said nothing they could do at that stage unless we wanted to really cut about 10cm of skin away and then stitch it up. He has a very impressive scar on his knee now.

We use Magnoplasm to draw out splinters etc..though I did hear the homemade version was a sugar and soap poultice?

I keep some Clove oil in the medicine kit for any toothaches as an A/Hrs back-up

To assist with persistent nightime coughing we've put Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottom of the kids feet at bedtime, then covered with socks....seemed to work :confused:

I've heard that Vodka is good for treating athlete's foot? Or maybe it was just a good excuse to buy some Vodka?

But mostly....it's a trip to the GP

Splinters etc happy to remove myself.
PennyK - I haven't tried that before may have to do so as I often MC outdoor events. Been using teaspoons of honey so far - often works but a bit inconvenient! :)

Soon as either myself or hubby look like we're getting a cold/sore throat/crook at all, it's several bottles of water plus a few mugs of warm water, lemon juice and honey. Unless it's proper flu it works.

It wasn't until I married my medico-trained missus in my mid 20s that I discovered that Panadol controlled flu-fever, so I'm pretty much a hopeless case to be honest. But Betadine and band-aids are God's gift for small injuries I can tell you, and eating 50% by volume of random vegetables every meal of the day (another stricture of she who must be obeyed) has got to be worthwhile (I'm told). After red wine, a vitamin pill before bedtime will guarantee no hangover (assuming you stop drinking before you pass out and miss taking the vitamins, which really hurts).

Back