Do you wait untill tax time ?

Hey eveyone,
I was thinking about having my tax reduced each pay rather than waiting untill tax time to get my refund back.. Im not sure what that process is called ?

What do most people do ?
Is it better to do it this way or just personal preferance ?

Thanks

i'm waiting till the end of fy this time.
when i speak to my accountant then, i'll discuss whether an ITVW is appropriate for our circumstances...

Nope have the Income Tax Varation because I need the extra cash flow.

How does this work in terms of accuracy?
I mean that, just say you got 2 airconditioners installed at a total cost of $1500.00, at the end of the year, would you see your accountant and spread that throughout the year? [aircon's will go on depreciation] but the labour cost is 100% tax deductible.

I mean that, just say you got 2 airconditioners installed at a total cost of $1500.00, at the end of the year, would you see your accountant and spread that throughout the year? [aircon's will go on depreciation] but the labour cost is 100% tax deductible.

You just make a calculated best guess and adjust at tax time. As long as it's reasonably close it's fine (10%-15% I'm guessing, don't quote me on that).

I've got my first one in place. Am enjoying the bigger pay packets in my offset account although tax time won't be as fun anymore.

Currently waiting until tax time but I think I'll change that as it's far better to have the cash sitting in my offset building all year rather than the ATO having it.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Incorrect. The cost in installing an air conditioner is added to the cost of the unit and depreciated / pooled.

PAYG variations are about one thing - cash flow. If you need more cash flow during the year to pay for IPs or to sustain your lifestyle - get one. Otherwise don't bother because they are difficult. You have to be careful though. If you end up paying tax because you underestimated your income, they may deny you lodging another one next year. Also one of my clients lodged one and underestimated his income by $20,000 and got hit with a $1800 underestimation penalty.

It is best to revisit your calculations in April to see if your estimates will stand. If you are likely to end up paying tax, you can request your pay office increase the amount of tax being withheld.

Hey eveyone,
I was thinking about having my tax reduced each pay rather than waiting untill tax time to get my refund back.. Im not sure what that process is called ?
Thanks

Hi Bez,

I've been considering this too and am a little confused about it all. Currently I am living in the IP for FHOG reasons however I did have this page bookmarked to look at closer to the date it will be rented out:

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.asp?doc=/content/00096490.htm

The one thing I am confused about is who exactly organises for the tax to be adjusted? Assuming you are not self employed, does the ATO contact your payroll office or is this something you need to organise? Hoping to get this fully understood by the time we move out so great question! :)

Hope it helps!

We wait until tax time - hubby's pay is up and down like a rollercoaster, depending on what work he does and when he works, so an ITWV would be a nightmare to calculate. Besides, I just love the big fat 5-figure refund cheques at tax time!!! :D

Cheers
LynnH

The one thing I am confused about is who exactly organises for the tax to be adjusted? Assuming you are not self employed, does the ATO contact your payroll office or is this something you need to organise? Hoping to get this fully understood by the time we move out so great question! :)

You apply directly (or via your tax agent) to the ATO to have your tax varied.

The ATO then access your application and forward a written notice direct to your pay master to deduct x% from your paye each pay period.

The ATO also sends you a written confirmation of the above for your records.

Hope this helps.

You fill out the form and send it to the ATO. The ATO then contacts your pay office (you put those details down on the form) and then the pay office adjusts your deductions accordingly.
Alex

I wait till tax time. Its like a bonus.

I see it as benefit of negative gearing. eg. I borrow an extra $1k per month and at the end of the year i have a tax refund of say $8k and use that to supplement the income and spend on non tax deductible stuff. eg. a holiday etc.

Thanks a lot guys, so I guess its a personal preferance thing...
If you need the extra cashflow, then payless less tax is good..
But if you dont need it you can enjoy the big lump sum at tax time :)

If you are desperate for cash, or need it for another investment, complete a tax variation, otherwise use it as a buffer ie a bit of fat in the system.

Unless you are really strapped for cashflow, then end of year.

We do end of year, and the cheques are re-invested back into the portfolio.

Our doodad spending comes after the pay-yourself-first plan throughout the year.

Up until now I've just waited until tax time and got the big fat refund cheque. But given its getting to stupid levels I've flagged with my accountant that I want to do a Section 221D ITWV adjustment from now on. In fact, my tax return this year will be testing 6 figures I think, so its probably time to have that cash in my pocket as the year progresses and not months after the financial year lapses and I finally get my return lodged. Which reminds me, its probably time to chase up my accountant on that again...

Cheers,
Michael.

The ATO dont pay you interest for holding your money thats rightfully yours through out the year.

Plus what about all the growth/income you also miss out on from lost investment opportunity.

Its better to get every single dollar working for you as fast and as efficient as you possibly can.

Your real wealth is created from compounding capital growth. The faster you build your asset base, the longer you are in the market. The longer you are in the market the greater your growth rate at the end.

Thats the magic of time and the power it creates on compounding capital growth. 80% of growth is achieved in the final 20% of time.

IMHO you would be far better off gaining your tax back through out the year and using it to cover the holding costs on an additional asset you would not have been able to hold otherwise, thus maximising your asset base even further and increasing your time exposure to the power of compounding capital growth.

Hope this provides further food for thought.

Back