Do your friends/family invest in property?

Do your friends/family invest?

• Yes, 1 or more friends.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Yes, 1 or more family.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Yes, some friends and family.

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 45 34.1%

• Total voters
Now that you mention it, last month my ex from over a year ago called me to chat about property investing. She wanted to get started (high income earner). Poor girl, our dates use to consist of property inspections almost every weekend.

I was confused a little as to why she rang, as her dad has about 5 IPs on a low income, so he must be doing something right with his strategy. Then he contacted me to go sailing and asked me if I could manage a subdivision for him.

Well there you go, life never seizes to amaze.

Last edited:
Poor girl, our dates use to consist of property inspections almost every weekend.

:D Sounds like now-hubby and I when we were younger. Our 'dates' were property inspections/fixing up property and any trips away were only to places were the IPs were so the expenses were tax deductible ;). Ah, the romance of it all!

:D Sounds like now-hubby and I when we were younger. Our 'dates' were property inspections/fixing up property and any trips away were only to places were the IPs were so the expenses were tax deductible ;). Ah, the romance of it all!

Have a sister in her mid-20s by chance? :p

All the women in my circle of contacts live the high roller lifestyles, high earners with no savings :/

To be fair, they are a catch in ways, high culture, well travelled, good looking, heavily involved in community service, etc. Just REALLY high maintenance.

My sister Did, but cashed out in order to start a family.

My parents are very traditional, buy a house, pay it off (still paying it off):(

When my dad had plenty of money from his business, he bought in Singapore, the UK and Australia. Lost it all. Long story. I was in my teens when it happened, so only heard bits and pieces of the whole story. No one talks about it now.

My aunt is a moderate-high income earner in Singapore, and has a couple of three properties there, with one in Sydney and one JV in Melbourne. Looking to move back to Sydney once she is done with work. She is more of an emotional buyer, but so far has worked out well for her.

She bounce ideas off me once in a while as no one else she knows invest in property. Once said to me why would anyone need 5-6 properties, and I told her for 'Financial Freedom'. Like I said, more of an emotional buyer with no real strategy in mind.

My wife and I got two properties. Just renovated both to increase rent. We just had a second child so no property buying for a while to come.

Regards,

Daniel

And yet I get in trouble for buying a new broom for my wife as a mother's day present!

Both family and friends invest in property, though only parents and a couple close friends.

My mother has only just got back into IP's after selling out their properties back in the late 90's (what a boom to miss...), and a number of friends have taken up property investing after talking (read: continual badgering) to me about "how it all works".

Have a sister in her mid-20s by chance? :p

All the women in my circle of contacts live the high roller lifestyles, high earners with no savings :/

To be fair, they are a catch in ways, high culture, well travelled, good looking, heavily involved in community service, etc. Just REALLY high maintenance.

:D Sorry, all siblings are now taken.

I'll keep an eye out for you though ;) - although sadly I think young, very attractive, all-things-real-estate loving, non-high maintenance girls are hard to find these days.

My husband still doesn't know how lucky he was (and still is)! Think I'll go and remind him... again.

:D Sorry, all siblings are now taken.

I'll keep an eye out for you though ;) - although sadly I think young, very attractive, all-things-real-estate loving, non-high maintenance girls are hard to find these days.

My husband still doesn't know how lucky he was (and still is)! Think I'll go and remind him... again.

LOL now you're starting to sound like my friends...
I had found one. Almost there. Surely there is another.
Is it so much to ask ;)

Last edited:
My parents dabbled in property investment when I was a kid, but my mum's main means of investment is now the stock market (and has been for at least the last 15 years) (my dad passed away a few years back). My in-laws have one investment property. One of my step-siblings has just sold his investment property, to pay for IVF and the resulting child. None of my friends have invested in property outside their own homes.

We don't tend to talk about property at all when we're with family or friends.... it just isn't a common topic of interest.

I dont know any property investors

When I say investor I'm talking about people who look outside of the suburb next door to invest in (sometimes there is nothing wrong with this!)

Generally I find that most people arnt interested in property investing or that they believe investing is buying a PPOR (it's not free from emotion)

I used to talk about it a bit but now prefer not to as people look at you like you have ten heads when you explain how Melbourne has the lowest rental yields in Australia.
I've tried to get in a few mates ears and one of them is pretty keen to buy soon. It was funny when he informed me he was going to seek the advice of a 'professional property investor' ! He thought it was great because the service was free of charge. I then told him how they make there money on commission by stitching nuffers up who want to get into investing

However most put it in the too hard basket and they just want a ppor first.

Oh I also hate talking to people about property because a lot of people think they know it all when all they really know is what's going on in their little part if the world and are ignorant to other opportunities

Nope nope and nope. Mother was a REA and had a few when young and richer, but the divorce lawyer sucked all of them up several decades ago and there has been none since.

We have friends who like PPOR property renos, not investing, but OMG getting excited about the overcapitalizing they sometimes do is difficult to tip toe around without sounding like an obnoxious git. We tend to downplay/not mention property investments much because we find still so many people think that equals rich person and look at us in a whole new light, and others suddenly want stuff. :(

NO

Our way of life: living frugally, having aspirations of financial freedom and actioning our plan are not well received among family. Investing is also a foreign concept to some of our friends who are living in the now. Interestingly while our friends don't partake they also do not put us down, like family do.

I have a few work colleagues who have IPs or are starting out. On rare occasions we happen to catch up by chance in the staffroom and talk about where we are at and how things are going. It is almost a secretive conversation - it only happens if others are not in earshot. Reasons being consideration of others in less fortunate financial situations and those who have no interest in investing.

Interesting thread.

I have one friend, a couple, who buy and renovate PPORs and then sell. Making pretty hefty profits.

Sadly, I don't have one female friend (and I know plenty of single ones) that invests in property. Which is pretty troubling really, as I worry about their financial futures. It's a subject I feel very passionate about and hope to contribute to one day...

Anyways, I am only a couple of years into property investing myself but I'm sure I might have got involved earlier if I had people around me doing it.

My dad's a keen share investor, and my brother has recently got the bug and bought his second IP so who knows.

At 55 my brother has just purchased a waterfront "weekender" for his 1st investment property.Says it worked for him,paid cash.............

Parents have a couple of properties each, but not really taking property investing seriously. Extended family on one side of the family think we are risking too much with these properties and tell us we should put money in the bank. Hence we don't discuss with them anymore about it.

Not many friends / colleagues invest in property either. There are a few gunna's, but from what I have seen that is about as far as they go. It is generally not talked about. That is why I spend time on this forum getting ideas from people and it helps to keep me motivated from time to time.

For my own records, as it stands, just under 1/3 of us have answered "no".
And, given that the folk here would represent a very small percentage of the population as well; it makes me scratch my head how all the media twits (and FHB's) can keep on coming out with the lines that us "greedy LL's are wrecking it for the affordability of housing, neg gearing has to go", and so forth.

I tell ya; we are wrecking this Country, so can you all now sell your IP's and STOP!!

:rolleyes:

I have one friend and one sister who does only. The friend got into it mostly on advice from me. I've passed info on to a few other people who have asked questions but they have never run with it. Most of the people around me seem to be be struggling just to stay afloat. not sure how I made the break but thank god we have and not stopped with one IP.

one rarely seen school friend invests in comm.

friends I have made through my services do, though.

no family at all. my sisters husband had a place, but managed it himself and got done over by a tenant with the knowhow and now is wary of anything that requires him to open his wallet.

shame really, he's a doctor on good money. sanj and I could make him a fortune.

Back