Documentary: India's Daughter

Hi All,

Wonder if you watched four corners last Monday. India's Daughter was aired. The documentary has been banned in India. It is based on the case of 23 year old Jyoti who was brutally raped and then died of the injuries.

Here is the full documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufawmkd1MuM

Also watch: http://www.ted.com/talks/khalida_brohi_how_i_work_to_protect_women_from_honor_killings#t-29722

Further cases of domestic violence and murders are alarming with 7 in NSW alone in year 2015.

Too saddening and horrifying. Look forward to a revolution given I come from South Asian background.

Thoughts? Comments?

I just watched it then ! Remember hearing about it.

So very sad, waste of a life and India's attitude to women appalling .....

Hopefully the tide begins to turn

Thanks for the input Vicki. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh - all treat women this way. The same attitude exists in the Middle East...It is appalling indeed.

I believe this woman's passing will bring good - I hope anyway. Also I watched the interview for the lady who made it. She had herself been raped and hence she wanted to see what causes rapists....Treat the cause not the symptom.

Did anybody else watch it? What were your thoughts?

New research from Karolinska Institute and Oxford University looks at genetic link in sex crimes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32221589

Plenty of Neanderthals everywhere, not just in India.

Last month marked the 29th anniversary of the shocking death of Anita Cobby who was abducted, tortured and then brutally killed. At the time, the press restrained themselves from reporting the exact nature of her injuries. The animals who committed the crime are still locked up - one of the perpetrators has turned to religion in an attempt to improve his chances at parole. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ce-against-women/story-e6freon6-1227183663420

One of my university lecturers lost his daughter to the infamous husband and wife rapist-killers, the Birnies. I have never seen a more broken man.

I despair for the world we live in......

Hi Ali
When looking at what 4 Corners was about this week, I consciously chose to not watch it. I expect it would make me too angry.

Yes, same here. I avoided seeing it because it was way too depressing. Interviewing criminals is more 60 Minutes than ABC.

Thanks to the OPs link I watched bits of the Youtube video. To me, it was neither education nor entertainment. Perhaps they ie. the authorities should show it to parolees or other people who might benefit from it.

I found it sad, and horrific for the family of the victim. However show like this raise awareness and the reaction of the Indian women, to have the courage to say no more publicly, can only help to change attitudes. The shame is the doco is banned in India

Some interesting statistics here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_s..._country_comparison_-_United_Nations_2012.png

What I don't understand is why the incidence of reported rape in Sweden is 42 times higher than in Canada and double that of the USA.

According to Wiki's stats, the incidence of rape has fallen greatly in Australia. But we are still behind India, it would seem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

Australia[edit]

In Australia the reported rape rate per 100,000 people is relatively high, although it is in a decreasing trend, coming down from 91.6 in the year 2003 [30] to 28.6 in 2010.[31] This stands in contrast to reported rape rate of 1.2 per 100,000 in Japan, 1.8 per 100,000 in India, 4.6 rapes per 100,000 in Bahrain, 12.3 per 100,000 in Mexico, 24.1 per 100,000 in United Kingdom, 28.6 per 100,000 in United States, 66.5 per 100,000 in Sweden, and world's highest rate of 114.9 rapes per 100,000 in South Africa.[30][31] .[33]

However show like this raise awareness and the reaction of the Indian women, to have the courage to say no more publicly, can only help to change attitudes. The shame is the doco is banned in India

There were men out in the streets demanding changes too.

Cassandra - the difference is in the reporting. Probably Australia is ahead in the reporting because women who are raped aren't shamed and blamed as much as they are in some other countries or cultures. In general, the police are supportive of women and are continually becoming more so.

Angel - if you can handle this forum, you probably would be ok to see the doco. (But it's ok not to watch it.)

I was a bit skeptical to watch that it would be depressing. More than depressing, it generated compassion for the victims. Her parents have amazing strength. It made me cry part way at her mother's helplessness, especially because I understand the language. The maker of the doco was raped herself; Her aim was to look into the mind of the rapist and the social & cultural factors that instigate rape. The aim was to show this documentary to rapists as well as in the communities/slums who build up these rapists. Un order to push for mindset changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d673PcRg1IA

I think it was great in the sense it brought out the young to protest. It managed to push the government to shift the laws. It's a start. The educated & young in these countries (like India, Pakistan) are very well connected to the west through the internet. And although the entire internal mental landscape may not shift, it's slowly changing.

I think it's important for the locals & the world to see what is happening and what is 'normal' in order to challenge the status quo. Change is impossible if you're living in a dynamic and that's ALL you've experienced and don't know any different, just how these rapists don't know any different and don't have a better direction. It will certainly help children/young people who are at risk of going that way (and have the mind in process to go that way), stop and think for a moment it's incorrect.

Change is not easy. Shifting cultural norms is not easy. Takes A LOT of courage to say, hey our earlier generations and our current generation have been treading on the wrong path and this should change. And hey this path doesn't empower us to lead a good life, we must change! This applies to child abuse, power struggles in families, domestic violence, rape, mental/physical/psychological/financial abuse. Perceptions need to heal. If you don't see any different, you don't learn any different and therefore don't behave any different. Though, I'd hope there is a glimmer of hope that people are willing to change & bring the change.

Also, in NSW, 7 women have been murdered this year alone by their partners/ex-partners. It's a huge problem here to in Australia. Albeit we live in a much better society here.

I watched it and of course was disgusted.

What disgusted me most apart from the attitude of the perpetrator of the crime were the comments from one of the "well educated" Defence Lawyers who said something along the lines ...." if my daughter enagaged in pre-marital activities I would take her to some farm and douse her in petrol and set her alight ...."

What hope does this society have if even the well educated condone honour killings?

In Australia the reported rape rate per 100,000 people is relatively high, although it is in a decreasing trend, coming down from 91.6 in the year 2003 [30] to 28.6 in 2010.[31] This stands in contrast to reported rape rate of 1.2 per 100,000 in Japan, 1.8 per 100,000 in India, 4.6 rapes per 100,000 in Bahrain, 12.3 per 100,000 in Mexico, 24.1 per 100,000 in United Kingdom, 28.6 per 100,000 in United States, 66.5 per 100,000 in Sweden, and world's highest rate of 114.9 rapes per 100,000 in South Africa.[30][31] .[33]

Believe me, as and Austarlian person "in the know" - when growing up 3 out of 4 of my immediate female family had been molested by males "known" to the family ... but none was reported (I was the 1).

It happens a lot more than reported and is usually dealt "in house"

There was another story on Four Corners called "Without Consent" aired in 2012. It was outrageous. About forced marriages. There were 2 of 4 Afghan origin sisters who featured where one of them was doing her PhD at the time. It was really inspiring and saddening at the same time.

It's a must watch. It made me way too upset about the treatment of these young women. Only they can change this with the change they are bringing in their own mindsets.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/03/29/3466537.htm

Plenty of Neanderthals everywhere, not just in India.

http://www.neanderthal-man.com/genocide.html

Sorry this comment is just way too ironic. Humans mass murdered all Neanderthals. Just like humans are mass murdering many other great apes.

It's just ironic that you insult some humans by using the name of one of our kinds many victims. Considering humans committed genocide of the Neanderthals the greater insult would have simply been to call the rapist human.

Humans are generally a pretty evil bunch unfortunately.

Back