dodgy builder and his contract - Universal Properties

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a townhouse in Doonside in NSW and 1st Feb is the last day to deposit the 10% which we owe the builder. The solicitor just informed us today that the builder has decided to delete some inclusions from the list and also going to charge land tax and strata insurance.
Is this the usual for purchasing a new townhouse ? I am really confused as this is my first property.

I've got friends who bought vacant land and townhouses (not brand new) and none of them paid land tax. Now I have been told by the builder and realestate agent that we need to pay for it.
Please let me know if this is normal I'm running out of time as I need to pay or withdraw by Tuesday 1st of Feb.

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a townhouse in Doonside in NSW and 1st Feb is the last day to deposit the 10% which we owe the builder. The solicitor just informed us today that the builder has decided to delete some inclusions from the list and also going to charge land tax and strata insurance.
Is this the usual for purchasing a new townhouse ? I am really confused as this is my first property.

I've got friends who bought vacant land and townhouses (not brand new) and none of them paid land tax. Now I have been told by the builder and realestate agent that we need to pay for it.
Please let me know if this is normal I'm running out of time as I need to pay or withdraw by Tuesday 1st of Feb.

Your solicitor is the one to give you the advise and it is poor on their behalf that you were informed of the situation but not what the implications are.

If the offer and acceptance was in writing, then advise your solicitor of same.

The inclusions are detailed on the contract of sale that was forwarded to you. If you are not happy with the removal of an noted inclusion, then say so and have their replacements priced up so that you have a figure to argue with.

The land tax again should have been noted on the contract so go and have read.

If your current solicitor is unable to assist and/or you are not comfortable with them, get a new one straight away. Escpecially if there has been changes to the contract of sale offered and be prepared to walk away.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

All sounds to hard, as was previously mentioned your solicitor should be the one looking at the fine print of these types of deals, be prepared to walk away. 0.25% is nothing compared to the potential pain that could come your way if things do not work out.

If you do not like the answers you are getting from your solicitor etc, seek other peoples help.

Ian

Last edited:
Have you signed a contract yet or not? :confused:

Same question i was going to ask.

Ask the advise of a 2nd solicitor! in the end long run losing 0.25% is much better then having to deal with this builder for the next 6-9 month - it's only being day one and your having problem already!

Michael

Back