Does anyone do their own Conveyancing?

You can sue someone who has professional indemnity insurance :confused:.
You can, but you've provided a good opening for me to share what I've learned (the hard way :eek:) regarding the difference between a tort remedy - against a third party to the contract for professional negligence - and a contract remedy (damages) against the vendor.

Let us assume that you're considering buying a property, because you feel prices are about to boom in a certain town. You expect that the house you're considering buying for $400K will be worth $600K in one year. A building and pest inspection by XYZ Pty Ltd reveals that the property has no problems (other than trivia), and you proceed to purchase for $400K.

One year later, the property is valued at $600K, and you find a buyer. The buyer commissions a B&P inspection from ABC Pty Ltd, which reveals a major problem that XYZ Pty Ltd should have detected, and which is expected to cause the house to have to be demolished within 5 years. You are ultimately able to sell again for your purchase price of $400K, and plan to seek redress against XYZ Pty Ltd, because you know they have professional indemnity insurance.

Presuming the problem is something that XYZ should have detected (ie you can demonstrate negligence), and that they have professional indemnity insurance etc, you'll still get a BIG FAT ZERO, even though you probably perceive that they've "cost" you $200K.

Why? I'll use these two theoretical scenarios for the original contract to purchase, to make my explanation clear (even though the second scenario rarely/never happens):

1) The usual route - you paid XYZ Pty Ltd to do a building and pest inspection for you as the prospective purchaser, and on the basis that there's nothing wrong with the property, you proceed to purchase.

2) You ask the vendor to commission the building inspection, and insert a clause in the sale contract saying something like "The vendor warrants that the building inspection report provided by XYZ Pty Ltd is accurate."

Under the first (usual) scenario, the person against whom you have a cause of action - XYZ Pty Ltd - is a third party to the contract. As such, your remedy is against XYZ as a tort related to their professional negligence. Under tort law, you are entitled to be restored to the position you would be in if XYZ Pty Ltd had not been negligent. Now, you could try arguing that if XYZ had found the fault, you would have negotiated the price down to, say, $250K, and thus try for the $150K "extra" that you paid, but the Court's not going to engage in this kind of speculation, as to how much the price would have been dropped had the fault been found. They'll almost certainly instead argue that what would have happened is that you wouldn't have bought the property, and thus you'll be entitled to be restored to the position you'd be in if you'd never bought, ie make neither a profit nor a loss on the property. Given that you bought for $400K, and sold for $400K, the Court will argue that that's the position you're already in, and thus you'll get zippo. Obviously if values have dropped and you sell for less than $400K, you may get some satisfaction with regard to a deficiency (if it's worthwhile navigating the many obstacles between a cause of action and a judgement ;)).

Under the second scenario, you have a cause of action against the vendor, with whom you had a contract, and as such, you're entitled to be restored to the position that you contracted for, which is to purchase a non-faulty house for $400K. If you'd been successful in getting a clause like this inserted, then you (at least theoretically) have a cause of action against the vendor for the $200K that the structural fault has "cost" you.

Unfortunately the vendor doesn't have a cause of action against XYZ, because again, the action between vendor and XYZ is a tort, not a contract issue, and the structural flaw was already there, it's just that the vendor didn't know about it when they sold the house. If the flaw had been revealed, they would have "lost" this amount a year ago when they sold to you, rather than now (when it's detected). So the Court won't view that the vendor has lost anything in having to pay you the $200K. This is why no smart vendor's solicitor would allow them to accept the insertion of such a warranty clause.

Sorry this is so long; I just wanted people to be aware that your redress against third parties to a contract - building inspectors, solicitors, surveyors, etc - is not as powerful as your "common sense" might suggest. In particular, you can be somewhat assured that their negligence shouldn't cause you to incur an absolute loss, but it can certainly cause you to lose all the profits you thought you'd make, without access to remedy. :(

[We found this out the hard way. Searches revealed a problem with the title that cost us about $150K. Solicitor neglected to tell us search results. Solicitor admitted negligence but argued zero damages because the market - and our renovation - had added more than $150K to the value of the property, so we "lost" nothing. Couldn't believe the law was such an ***, so we paid a second barrister $10K to give us the same advice that the first one gave us, thus resulting in us throwing another $20K away. :eek:]

We thank all our Conveyancing Kit users on this thread for their kind words in doing their own Conveyancing over the years.
Yes, you can do it yourself, it's a simple, safe & legal procedure, saving you hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Individuals have been using our Conveyancing Kits for 34 years, in that time their has been no kit user taken to the courts for negligence.

Unfortunately the Legal Profession like to put the fear factor into the process by saying that you are not covered by Professional Indemnity Insurance, that is true, but any mistake made will normally cost you a lot of money in legal fees to rectify.

If you are buying Torrens Title and do not understand the Contract seek legal advice before signing the Contract. If you are selling Torrens Title it is guaranteed by the State Government.

Torrens Title has been around since 1858. This has alleviated the cumbersome process of Conveyancing, making it a simple, safe & legal procedure for the individual to do.

If you do have the time, an average of 4 to 7 hours over the period of the Contract, it is a rewarding experience as attested to by our Kit users.:)

Mark Notary
Managing Director

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to do your own conveyancing -

1. the usual processes are explained well in kits

2. the issues are:
a. whether contract clauses need to be renegotiated
b. issues with the title eg easements and covenants
c. understanding searches if they come back as anything other than "not affected" and your rights if any

3. do not expect the other party's conveyancer to do things for you

Torrens Title (Real Property) Conveyancing can be simple, if you know where the minefields are.

Well thanks to Canberran, i've gone it alone.
In my case the whole process is straight forward.

Receive Crown Lease, sign then get stamped by the Revenue Office. (Stamp Duty not applic as it was paid a year ago), then drop crown lease off to developer's solicitors. (1hr of my time)

Settlement Day: Give balance to developers solicitors, and receive completed crown lease. Sign form to release deposit to developers. (~2hrs)

Fill out form to register crown lease, then submit. (<1hr + $93)

All up, less than 4hrs of my time +$93. Sure beats the $1200 i was quoted by some solicitor to get his lacky to do the running around.

Thanks again Canberran.

Hello

I am a property journalist and I am writing a feature on DIY conveyancy - the pros and cons, state difference etc etc. I am looking to interview someone who has undertaken DIY conveyance and will talk to me about their experiences and offer advice to others. It can be positive or negative and it will involve a ten minute phone interview. Thanks, Mollie

Hello

I am a property journalist and I am writing a feature on DIY conveyancy - the pros and cons, state difference etc etc. I am looking to interview someone who has undertaken DIY conveyance and will talk to me about their experiences and offer advice to others. It can be positive or negative and it will involve a ten minute phone interview. Thanks, Mollie
Mollie what IP experience do you have and what publication will the article be in?

Back