Does anyone not care about/have a dream house?

When I bought my PPOR it was a dream house.It has 4 bedrooms,2.5 baths,livingroom, diningroom,den,laundryroom and a 2 car garage.
I can't wait to leave this place!!!!

Next year Rob and I will be living in a studio apartment. His 16 year old son will be living in one in the same property.
Priorities certainly do change as you get older.
Went scouting for deals yesterday(for studio apt IP property) and had a great time. When you say you want 10-12 mattress sets, dishwashers,stoves etc the sales people sure do pay attention.

It was my birthday so we took advantage of the "eat free on your birthday"at a couple of restaurants.
(went to Boomerangs, which is a restaurant that trys to be Aussie. We asked for a pavlova....what's that?.....we told them only the national dessert...we would email it to them)
We have more fun trying to save money rather than spend it.

I can't wait to leave this place!!!!

Next year Rob and I will be living in a studio apartment

Good one!

We've taken a different route also. It's not so much living in your dream house as much as "living the dream". We've recently set up in a couple of pads. Our art deco apartment in east suburbs of Sydney offers us proximity to the beaches, CBD, centennial park etc. As we tire of the big smoke we also spend 2 to 3 days a week at our cottage in the upper Blue mountains. None of these on their own are "dream homes", yet together they provide all we need to enjoy life in Sydney and its surrounds and a great lifestyle.

Both these were IP's in the past, with significant depreciation already paid back to us, as I said before, property pays you back over and over again.

whilst I can afford it now, i can't be bothered buying a PPOR just yet, and quite happy renting whilst I do my IP thingy.

I don't subscribe to the living frugally mentality...my investments make good money and I'm sure as hell going to reward myself for all the blood, sweat and tears I put into my investments; i drive a nice car, my rent is expensive and I live in an apartment with great views, i have nice furniture and when I buy my PPOR it will be absolute waterfront with a pontoon, jetty, harbour views and a boat to match....

why???

because I deserve it!

I kind of already have a dream life....like Sue the bigger mansion type houses evoke no emotional yearnings or desire....(I am very happy that people like them and want to have them as a part of their lifestyle).

Contrast is good.

My, (our) home will be 3 b/r and have a verandah, overlook distant hills, trees, (and there will be willow trees), a creek, lucerne, the dogs, horses and some sheep..

The sea will be within an hour's travelling time and a regional city too. Where? We aren't sure yet, having fun exploring still and yet to decide, but each of us has the picture in our minds and we will know the place when we see it.

The house itself will have an attic, it will be the office-computer and library room, lots of good and clever light in the house, as eco friendly as we can possibly muster....I love timber, the look and the smell so we will see what we can arrange there...so a "dream home" would be an extension of our lifestyle now....incorporating a closer city and sea and creek water...mind you the dream home/life now is pretty hot stuff, we are very fortunate people.

Lucky buggars. :)

For me I would rather live the 10 working years of my life without spending money however I have a dream house I am eventually going to build. The thing you have to remeber is you cant take money with you so you might as well as enjoy it at some time in your life. I want to sell of a couple of my investment properties once I am about 35 and build the house of my dreams.

Even if the house you live in isnt giving you an income, it is still appreciating in value.

There aren't many 'lifestyle' purchases that are good investments. A dream home is a lot better than all those depreciating lifestyle purchases, car, plasma TV, etc. So make a dream house higher priority than those other lifestyle purchases.

I think it is easy to confuse your individual "dream Home" with the dream home the media seems to be constantly selling to us. It seems the images are usually waterfront, very new with an imposing street frontage, and surrounded by all the latest in boats, cars etc.

A dream home can be as simple as a little hut on a few acres, an inner city pad close to all the action, a rambling old home, a European Castle with a title to match ;) . There is no implication that just because you have a dream home in mind that you are after something large or showy.

Hi sue,

I think everyones idea of a 'dream home' is very different. my wife and i are currently just focusing on our IPs and share investments to acheive our financial goals ASAP. Therefore our current PPOR (which we own outright) is a bit of a 'dog box' in suburban canberra not a 'dream home' but we are happy to stay living in it for the next 5-8 years (no kids just a dog to take car of) at which time we would like to buy another established house in the Inner North of canberra. For us it is more about the 'dream lifestyle' rather than the 'dream home' (ie. modest sized home of say 17-20 squares in leafy inner north area appeals to us, rather than a 30+ square mcmansion in the 'newer' outer suburbs.)

To put this in perspective our current 'dog box' is 12 squares! But its ours!

jase

Hi Jase
Our 50 yo conite home (before we extended) was just a whisker under 10 squares; not fun with two kids. It is now 17 squares with four kids which I think makes it smaller:rolleyes: So I don't dream of a dream home, just an ensuite and a soundproof rumpus room.

For interest sake, we had to sell my husbands car to buy the house on one acre (farm zone) for 68k about 13 years ago. Had it recently revalued for $315k with some repair work still unfinished. So sometimes those old dog boxes can built up a nice little equity. Cannot subdivide (asked council repeatedly with the same response "not in your lifetime") so we will eventually have to move on.

People often ask me why I haven't got Daryl to build us a new home, as they feel that being builders it would be an obvious thing to do. What they don't realize is that many builders earn just an average wage at the end of the day and I would prefer my little mortgage to a large one! There is not much of the original building left anyway. Good luck with your investing.

Gosh, my dream house would be a 200 y.o. villa carved into a sunny hillside somewhere in Tuscany complete with vineyard, olive grove, herd of goats for world-famous homemade Quintets Goat Cheese, a large kitchen to make Jamie Oliver drool and a Maserati in the driveway (sorry Peter 14.7!) with a zippy Vespa for trips into the local markets. The summer cottage would be in Santorini somewhere or perhaps Dijon in France or one of those castles along the Loire river (Yay...GoAnna!). Either one...I'm not fussed. :rolleyes:

Oh....did we say dream house or "Yeah...as if" house???

We're hunting for a PPOR now and my dream house is anything with 3-4 bedrooms, dirt for 20sqm garden and either improvable, income-able or dividable. It confuses the agents a bit because we start looking at a WIDE range of properties.

I like JFisher's "all I want is an ensuite and a soundproof rumpus". Hah!!!:eek: We've got kids; gotta remember that.

We've looked at little 3 bedroom cottages cuz they were cheap out to 1150sqm blocks with reno-ed home and pool. The novelty of looking with a owner-occupier hat instead of an IP hat is starting to wear thin, though. Even though we're renting at a very good price, we're gonna get something that will put us in a good position tomorrow.

I'll always be living in my second, third, fourth level dream house. Wants are infinite. I mean, if I had unlimited money to buy a dream home you don't think I'll buy an island in Italy with my own airstrip? On the other hand, it's always nice to have a bigger goal in mind.
Alex

I agree with what some of the others have written. You don't know how long you have to live - so I personally think if can have your financial security and dream house why not.

I love what Quintets wrote :D

My dream house - A 2 storey blue stone or log/wood house with a wide wrap around veranda, spa on the deck out the back, 2 bedrooms upstairs, main with walk in wardrobe & 2 ensuites, 2 bedrooms and a study down stairs and another 2 bathrooms. All this on acreage with trees, pond which I can swim in in Summer, my own vegie & rose garden and a couple of dogs, cat and definetly a horse.

I'd also build a couple of self contained cottages on in it with enclosed yards so I could rent them out to sick people who need to get away from their illness for a few days or anyone who just needs a break and they could bring their pets with them. All this would be in the country but close enough proximity to a hospital & shopping facilities but far enough out that you get to get up to the peace of the country sounds - maybe Warburton/ Belgrave even Macedon way?

Kate

Dream house...?

As some others have posted I have also had to convince my wife that we do the hard yards now and it will pay off later. Recently we have purchased our 2nd IP in Wynnum.

Both of the houses we have purchased are bigger and better than the one we live in, which has been a bone of contention ...good rent though.
I expect that we will sell our PPOR this year and buy something bigger and better but it won't be my dream house.

I expect my dream house will be something I purchase when we retire in about 20 years time after selling off a few IP's. Acreage, lowset, quiet and peaceful....with few phone calls to my PM to see how the other rentals ae going!

i used to think that until i had kids and ended up spending alot more time at home. i know its not as good investment as i could get by moving to a cheaper suburb but we paid 1m cash (no loan) 18 months ago but i love it and more importantly so does my wife. It hasnt been too bad an investment as the bank valued it at 1.3 so thats ok in my books. look i drive a $2k 10 year car so I know what your saying but in the end you are dead and theres no enjoying your chingching when your 6ft under, only your kids will find out what its like to blow your hardearned. if i have money now i plan how i will enjoy it not look at how much im making
im spending 300k on a reno so theres more lifetsyle waste!!!no ferrari though....i'll leave that to my midlife crisis

In my dream world:

My house is in Points Piper overlooking the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge . It was on the market 12 years ago for $22 million.

I will have a daily house cleaning service. ( Weekdays only )

My house content will all be rented. And parked in my garage is a rented car as well.

Ah, it is nice to dream.:)

Jocker 10

Dream House,

Yep look's like pic1 and 2

Attachments

• anchor1 (Medium).jpg
    anchor1 (Medium).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 56
  • profile1.jpg
    profile1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 53
well my ultimate dream is to have a big house, specifically the 5 b/r 2-storey Leura made by Clarendon Homes. Costs around $300k to build (probably more).

Everyone has their own dreams, goals, etc however I for one want a big house. I guess every man's home is his castle. Each to their own I guess.

Unfortunately, at this stage she look's like pic's 3 and 4.

She'll get there.

BB

I swear when I first seen those photos I had to take a second look my fiance's parents in weipa are building a cat as well I reckon the bloody thing looks so damn similar I will have to get you there email address I am sure he would like to chat about his boat wich is in the same stage's as you are

There is the 'dream' home and then there is the "DREAM". The "DREAM" home would consist of a large sprawling home with 6 bedrooms, just as many bathrooms, bar, media room, huge chefs kitchen, 10 car garage, pool, outdoor kitchen, lots of land and views, animals etc... (this house would require lots of cleaning and lots of money to build/buy)
Then there is the 'dream' home which when i consider it, is not much different from what i currently have. Currently have 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. 'dream' home can have 5 bed, study, 2 bath, 3 car and i will be super content.
So long as i have a comfortable home that is not falling down then i will be happy to invest the rest of my money in good food, good wine and good company :D

Back