Does anyone still use the Yellow Pages?

My 65yo father, who does caravan, uses it.

He recently needed a tradie and refused to look for one online. Out came the yellow pages...

what does it cost to put your business in there?
and how many bookings would it take to cover the fee? (the profit that is)

Ours goes straight into the recycle bin.

Oh, & when searching online, I don't use the yellow pages either.
I get calls from them every now and then at the workshop to advertise...I say no thanks.

Every now and then we'll get a call from an old Nanna who couldn't find us in the Yellow Pages - to tell us that. But; they found the number?? :confused:

We haven't used a phone book in years at home....all go straight into the recycling bin.

I get calls from them every now and then at the workshop to advertise...I say no thanks.
I once used those Shop a Docket places to advertise. It didn't work well for me (it does for some people)- bu they never stopped calling me back, and they were extremely pushy.

I'm talking about the old fashioned brick of a book, not the online site.

I've just bought a caravan park and am debating whether to continue advertising with Yellow Pages. The rates are extortionate and I'm not convinced of their benefit. The park I've bought is in a fairly major tourist town and there are only 2 parks in town so I reckon most people that aren't tech savvy that are coming here would find there way here without the yellow pages anyway.

Thoughts?

I wander around Australia a lot :) I drive a car and stay in cabins or self contained units (mainly coastal these) so I have stayed in a Lot of parks, 100 or more I guess.

I don't have a smart phone so I use NRMA books, all 3 of them, motels, parks and B&Bs. I also stop at a lot of tourist info places and get cartoscope maps if possible as well as having the NRMA ones with me. Cartoscope have a small street map of most towns so it is quite good to find places IMO.

If it is too hard to find then I stay at the one I can find, good directions get me there to have a look.

Keep the streetscape neat and tidy at the entrance, I have noticed that I am not the only car that will stop outside and have look first before going in for an inspection, I see the same cars/fourbies outside the next park if the first one is a dump.

If I am staying in the one place for a few nights I would use the net before leaving home. The number of accommodation sites have increased dramatically where there used to be Wotif and a couple of others now there are a dozen or more offering listings.

Where possible I try to book direct with the site to save booking fees, these mount up over 10 or 15 bookings so you need your own site and booking software IMO.

If these aren't already set up I can give a link for one that works well for me.

I use both google and yellow pages. I'm a big fan of supporting small local business and google doesn't always show everything.

It's worth paying $100 a year or whatever it is to at least have a mention in the yellow pages

Its $650 a year for each country region in the state, and there are five of them, plus its about $3.5k to be in the capital city white pages. Then more for the yellow pages website. I google searched caravan parks in the town and the parks own website came up first, followed by a few accommodation websites and the yellow pages was on page 2.

I think its a ripoff but will probably keep the city listing.

I haven't looked at one of the big ones for years! I do get a smaller version with just locals businesses in it and do consult that occasionally.

Surely if someone wanted accommodation + 'your suburb' that wouldn't be in their phone book anyway so they'd have to search for it either on the net or via the operator.

This is a PERFECT example of a company that is stuck in the past.

It approached a few of my folks' businesses last year to get a listing, at $2,000 a listing.

As an example of people stuck in the past, my folks' 68 year old secretary actually thought it was an awesome deal. Maybe she is one of the few people left who still use Yellow Pages (no she doesn't know how to operate an iphone or s4).

I kindly suggested you'd get more value by doing a gumtree listing, which is free.

When I had my first business at the tender age of 22 one of the first things I did was contact the yellowpages to get my business in the next 'issue'. Didn't really generate any business from it and this is going back 8 years ago. I think it was well and truly dead in the water even then.

Back