Does floor area of OTP include walls ?

Hi

I want to measure the area of a off the plan unit to check it matches the area listed in the purchase contract. However when I’m measuring I’m not sure if internal walls should be included in this area ?

Or is it the actual floor area that I should be measuring ie internal walls are not included.

Anyone know ?

Thanks

having done marketing drawings for developers before, I would say its including the internal stud walls, but we usually don't include the external walls.

Check with the developer if its a gross or net area. Then ask them if it includes the walls in their definition.

Their area measurements are usually done in softwares like Autocad. The built product may differ slightly

I agree with Rodimus.

We always use floor area (including internal walls), internal area of external walls, when we quote to a client the floor area. But as Rodimus suggests, check with the developer.

Cheers

You really wouldn't need to do this as the developer is required to get a final survey done for the purposes of registering the strata plan....any measurements will be noted on the strata plan.

Could include External Walls!

(see my other threads RE: OTP, Flatsize and misdescriptions)

I had an issue that my OTP flat size (Central Equity) was 15% smaller than had been represented at the sale. (this is because they had included exterior walls that were extremely thick as it was a skyscraper). I felt that I had been misled by the vendor (as one would normally assume they would quote the living (inc closet) space in the appartment.

I was later told that:

"The Subdivision Act specifies the method of measurement. All strata titled apartments in Victoria include the thickness of the external walls and half the thickness of shared walls. I agree that this is a bit deceptive."

.. and extract from my independant report:

"Apartment area
The legal area of the apartment is as shown on the apartment title which includes the plan of subdivision. You should have a copy of the full title as part of the contract of sale.

The Subdivision Act 1988 outlines the official system of measurement of any strata titled apartment:

Boundaries
Unless the plan otherwise provides, if the whole or part of a boundary of a lot with another lot or with common property on a strata or cluster plan or a strata or cluster redevelopment plan lies along or within a structure that is a wall, fence, floor or ceiling, the boundary is the median of the structure.

This legalese translates into the actual legal area of your property shown on the title includes:

the full thickness of the exterior walls of the building
the full thickness of the internal partition walls within the apartment
half the thickness of the walls that adjoin other apartments
half the thickness of the walls that adjoin the common area.

The thickness of this additional structural area adds up to a considerable proportion of the apartment. The exterior walls are of the order of 300mm thick. The interior walls are 110mm thick. This is where the discrepancy in building area lies."

Hope this helps

Back