Don't buy an investment property in your own name!

This is a split off from another thread as I think it warrants its own. There are some circumstances that warrant your own name. But I see so much of what happens when things go bad that those would have to be pretty limited circumstances in my mind.

I have always been a fan of structures for buying property in. Admittedly my first 8 were bought in personal names because I did not know any better.

Dealing with bankruptcy, liquidation, administration etc you see the benefits of structures for people who have business and/or some other risk.

Doing civil litigation, ie suing people for money, I see people who you would never imagine in a million years would be at risk of losing their assets, who get into trouble.

I have thought long and hard about posting anything at all, but the more emotional conversations I am having with people who have a chance of losing everything, the more I feel the need to warn others. This is not a way to promote structures or bring in clients for me or for any of the others on here, this is merely the result of dealing with so many difficult situations that are made so much worse by having a poor structure. It still sucks to have an issue come up, but it is way better losing part of your assets than all of them.

I have a matter that I can not talk about the details of yet, but I will when it is safe to do so. If you are one of my clients in that matter please do not talk about it at all here either. It needs to stay confidential to help your case. If you are not involved but think you know the details of the case for some other reason please do not post theories here etc. MODERATORS will immediately be asked to delete any such information.

When I am able to I will explain it in detail but without identifying any parties etc.

There are dozens and dozens of people affected, most with an extremely low risk profile and they have done nothing out of the ordinary or what anyone would consider risky here. All bar one of them has not insulated their own house through appropriate structures and financing.

If you use an appropriate structure (both asset and financing) and something goes wrong personally and you lose your house, the entity keeps the investment property. Same as if something goes wrong with the investment property, that entity and it may be lost, which still sucks, but at least you keep your house.

I consider buying an investment property in your own name as risky, if not more so than not insuring the property. If you also have a house in your own name I consider it as risky, if not more so, then not insuring both the houses. If you don't have house insurance and the house burns down at least you still have the land (assuming you can afford the repayments).

I have no statistics to back it up, but my assumption is that more people will have an issue either themselves or with their investment property then will have one of the houses burn down. And the correct structure is way cheaper than building insurance.

See a solicitor who knows what they are doing, there are several on this forum, there are plenty more out there who may not be property lawyers but who still know a lot about asset protection. Unfortunately there are plenty who do not either.

Then, as important as the lawyer, see a mortgage broker who knows what they are doing. Having the best structure in the world and then financing it wrong makes the structure pointless. The bank always gets their money first, thats the whole point of the mortgage. Again there are great brokers on this forum, there are more great ones out there. Unfortunately, there are many who know 2/3rds of stuff all. Also if you don't use a bank, the person at the bank who looks after you, no matter how good they are, can not be as independent as a mortgage broker.

Finally, make sure you use a good accountant to keep a check on the way it runs. Do the wrong thing and you run the risk of the structure being considered your alter ego (less likely with a good setup in the first place) and the court will treat the assets as yours.

Thanks for the warning RPI. I'm looking forward to hearing more. I was asking my accountant this question last week who advised to buy commercial property through trusts, resi through own name. My friend is currently being sued for a non-property related matter and the suer has sued 2 other people in the past 5 years. Opened my eyes up. I guess suing will become more common over time.

Great post RPI.

Would be keen to hear more when/if commercially appropriate

I am far from being the teflon man, however now have a mixture of entity and personal owned IP's. The sell down (of IP's in my name) when Melbourne starts to fire again in the future will see all proceeds eventually go to family trusts for future investing. We also have holdings in our SMSF.

I have one trust set up waiting in the wings for the next prospective purchase, likely a commercial asset.

I also use one corporate trustee per DFT. I see the slightly extra set up and administrative costs to do this a small price to pay. It's cleaner from my perspective to have one two buck company be trustee for each trust.

Thanks for sharing.

. My friend is currently being sued for a non-property related matter and the suer has sued 2 other people in the past 5 years. Opened my eyes up. I guess suing will become more common over time.

Can I ask what the "professional plaintiff" is suing for?

Great post RPI.

Would be keen to hear more when/if commercially appropriate

I am far from being the teflon man, however now have a mixture of entity and personal owned IP's. The sell down (of IP's in my name) when Melbourne starts to fire again in the future will see all proceeds eventually go to family trusts for future investing. We also have holdings in our SMSF.

I have one trust set up waiting in the wings for the next prospective purchase, likely a commercial asset.

I also use one corporate trustee per DFT. I see the slightly extra set up and administrative costs to do this a small price to pay. It's cleaner from my perspective to have one two buck company be trustee for each trust.

Thanks for sharing.

Player do you put your other DFT trustees (in their capacity as trustee) as a nominated beneficiary for any subsequent new DFT you set up?

I shouldn't say as not finalised. Could be your client?

Probably not- most of mine are Workcover or CTP claims. I'm curious as to what they did that allows them to start and no doubt settle 3 claims. How did the defendant find out about the earlier 2 claims?

If they were a habitual claimant I wouldn't take them on as if I were to lose they will more than likely go ahead and sue me for negligence. Not worth the agro.

Probably not- most of mine are Workcover or CTP claims. I'm curious as to what they did that allows them to start and no doubt settle 3 claims. How did the defendant find out about the earlier 2 claims?

If they were a habitual claimant I wouldn't take them on as if I were to lose they will more than likely go ahead and sue me for negligence. Not worth the agro.

Claimants solicitor quoted the other cases to my friend. I assumed that it may have been a legal requirement for claimants solicitor to disclose. I can't remember if the other two claims were finalised.

A couple of my clients are getting sued ATM too. A while back they did their own structure set up for asset protection reason - the only thing is it is set up incorrectly. If they lose the case they will lose their residential house and a large commercial property.

They conducted business in a company, but husband and wife are being sued in their own capacity by a company they were dealing with. First line of defense is the wrong defendant is being sued. Basically anyone can sue anyone over anything. So don't count on the 'limited liability' of a company.

Could they mortgage the property to raise funds to repay the company for funding their legal fees? (only good if they don't go bankrupt I suppose).

PS when all else fails apply for a stay of execution on the judgment!

Back