double brick cracked walls

Have seen a few places lately with quite dramatic cracks in the walls. At first I was turned off but have since heard that it's not a major concern and can be fixed - albeit repeatedly.
This is in double-brick houses.
They move a fair bit when it rains. Some more than others. They're not on stumps.
Would stumping be the solution?
Or is the best solution to walk away?

I have done repairs like this in the past, the trick is to to make a mix of flexible filler and cornice cement and use that to fill the cracks after scraping them out. It will give a better fill with some movment allowance as opposited to spakfilla/plaster.

With a view to not taking large risks with buy and hold property

> anything more than hair line cracking is treated very seriously
> underpinning history, avoid unless a compelling reason not to, issues can be very expensive and unlikely to go away. If you are looking for valuable discounts due to problems then go looking for termites and avoid cracks :)
> some suburbs/areas just have reactive soil and cracking is common, sometimes it's more of an issue with drainage, plants

There's enough things to worry about with property without adding structural issues so I tend to avoid completely unless you plan on knocking the house down in the next few years.

If you are looking for valuable discounts due to problems then go looking for termites and avoid cracks :)

lol :p

Thanks Andrew_A.
A few moments of wishful thinking going on for me. I love renovating (whenever I'm not in the middle of doing it) but lifting, excavating, etc. sounds like a drag.
Maybe I just have to pay a bit more for the house I really want.

The house it self has to be a consideration. It is now compulsory to put articulation joints in brick work this was not always the case so older houses made there own expansion joints. A crack is not a structural crack until it is 15mm wide but it does need to be fill for moister. Under pinning as said is always a last resort but resin pumped into the soil can often achieve the same or better result like uretech. I wouldn't cross off anything with cracks but get an expert opinion before I jumped in. More often than not find a crack you will find poor drainage. solve the drainage, repair the crack and it will not move again.

OK thanks Scott_Snap. Looks like it would come down to a building inspection - there is a place I like with cracks all over it and it looks like they've tried to do a few things like put cement around it, deal with drainage, render the bottom bricks.
But I don't think they've done a very good job. I noticed that the drainage problem wasn't fixed properly when I first looked at it. Also, they have trees and plants really close to the house in some places. Camelias - not sure if they're a big problem.
As I said, I think they've tried to fix the problem but have taken half measures.

OK thanks Scott_Snap. Looks like it would come down to a building inspection - there is a place I like with cracks all over it and it looks like they've tried to do a few things like put cement around it, deal with drainage, render the bottom bricks.
But I don't think they've done a very good job. I noticed that the drainage problem wasn't fixed properly when I first looked at it. Also, they have trees and plants really close to the house in some places. Camelias - not sure if they're a big problem.
As I said, I think they've tried to fix the problem but have taken half measures.

Gees, this sounds a bit of a worry, I was thinking one crack about halfway along a long wall.

I do believe I would be moving on .................

Back