Drink Driving not a crime if you're skinny

Kate,

It is the alcohol that markedly contributes to the taste. Most people can pick a light beer from a standard one as it tastes a bit insipid in comparison. :)

Smoking is the one I would love to see outlawed.....

Hopefully the coming generations will take it up less and less. I know the kids at my daughter's school are all anti smoking nazis!

Cheers,

I agree Simon and have tasted the non-alcholic ones and they don't appeal to me as a Harpers Red does, surely though they could make some that taste just as good? I mean with todays technology etc you think they'd be able to.

Smoking - ban it as well - I DETEST it. Ban junk food whilst we're at it, make Australia the healthiest country. :D

Kate

Ban junk food whilst we're at it, make Australia the healthiest country. :D

Kate

Kate, that's not as far fetched as it sounds.....I made a marketing pitch to some ppl recently about exactly that. One of the fastest growing opportunities in the world is delaying senescence, esp amongst cashed up baby boomers...... and what would a nation have to lose by making that its goal? :)

Smoking - ban it as well - I DETEST it.

As do I. One of my pet hates, actually.

I wrote this a few weeks ago — my thoughts regarding smoking, to the letter:

Merovingian said:
We all know it: it has to one of the most stupidest things you can do to your body.

How can someone be so stupid as to fill their lungs with toxic chemicals?

What reason is there for smoking? It is anti-social — you often have to separate yourself from others to feed the addiction. It stinks. It looks stupid — the most attractive women in the world, could put a cigarette in their mouth, to make themselves instantly unattractive. It demonstrates mental weakness. It kills you, and it kills others.

If you’re a smoker, give it up. If you don’t, your stupider than you think you are. You’re also too stupid to realise this fact.

If you’re a smoker, and don’t want to give it up, then please consider this. If you’re in a public mall and have a fag, please think twice. The crap that comes from the cigarette and out of your lungs once your body is finished with it, is suffocating. You don’t see beer drinkers walking up and down malls, pissing on others. Same deal.

an anachronistic and patronizing hangover from days of old IMHO. :eek:

basically, the logic goes, the proletariat are too dumb and the job us privileged old public school boys give them on the front line is so distressing, that the poor sods are unable to control their drinking....so you good chaps need to set a good example of sobriety even when you are back home at your local in the Scottish Highlands....never mind what the local judge, constabulary, and lawyer is doing....you boys are special....your country is depending on you...the germans could be just over that hill......:rolleyes:

No offence guys, but no wonder the ADF has trouble attracting and retaining people, especially smart people.

When I was in the USA, a university professor friend who taught education was trying to make a point that school teachers should not be allowed to drink in public because it set a bad example to the children under their care at school.........I argued that he'd be out of a job as a teacher of teachers, because so few people would choose teaching as a career.

So often, idealism is a refuge of the weak, as it shows they are unable to maturely grasp and play the hand they have been dealt at a card table they do not own....

Fortunately, these sailors, soldiers and airmen, have provided you with the safety and privilege of critising them, without any adverse ramifications for you!:)

Fortunately, these sailors, soldiers and airmen, have provided you with the safety and privilege of critising them, without any adverse ramifications for you!:)

but only the ones that don't go DUI when off duty Sharon....because they get sacked for being a security threat....or so the logic goes....

when our borders are threatened, I'll bet you that that piece of patronizing political correctness is one of the first to be thrown out the door....

Had to look up 'senescence' - old age :) Got carried away and read all about biogerontologists and George C. Williams theories on the aging process - fascinating reading off tomorrow to Borders to see if I can find a book on him and his theories!

I don't think they'll ever ban drinking alchol or smoking etc due to the tax the government gets off it. Unless John Howards wife is hit and maimed/killed by a drink driver and then watch out - he will single handedly make sure the laws are tougher AND enforced (not that I want his wife hurt at all!)

Another teenager on Today Tonight clocked doing 208km on his motorbike - 6 month loss of license and a $1000 fine - was bragging about how he still rides and he was actually going faster. Now I don't believe in theft at all, but geez if I lived in his neighbourhood there'd be no motorbike outside his place that he could hop onto the next morning!!

Kate

Sharon, I think you have missed the point...that I am standing up for the ADF, by criticizing ridiculous rules put in place by defence elites. Rules that lead to otherwise good employees being deprived of a career and providing for their families.

I made my point clearly above that defence personnel going DUI in their off duty time has no bearing on state security. There's no logic in that whatsoever and such silly rules don't apply to politicians or ASIO or DC staff with access to highly confidential state security intelligence.

TFB, the ADF rules are not about "patronising political correctness", nor put their by the "elite", nor an "anachronistic and patronizing hangover", nor is it a case of "idealism is a refuge of the weak".

As RichardC has posted above, the rules have changed. In the old days it was considered ok to drink to excess, and in many situations was actively encouraged. Even the Navy has now banned alcohol onboard vessels. The policy used to be "2 cans per day, per man, perhaps." Now all Navy vessels are "dry boats".

Over the years the ADF has conducted massive research into the effects of alcohol abuse by their members. Keeping skilled members in the forces is simply good organisational management. Employer Duty of Care, also applies to the ADF in trying to keep people safe from adverse effects of alcohol. The ADF does not want their members showing up for work in the mornings still under the influence...tis not safe to mix alcohol with controlling heavy machinery and weapons.

Another issue goes to the core of respect for the power and chain of command. Respect for command comes from what subordinates observe, both on and off duty. For someone in command to go DUI, their subordinates have diminished respect for that command. If the power and chain of command are undermined, when tis time for subordinates to obey, they may think twice. This does not err well for critical response times, and situations arise when someone's life may depend on it.

And then I have my own theory on respect. If one does not respect one's self, how can they expect others to respect them.

Last edited:
For someone in command to go DUI, their subordinates have diminished respect for that command.

I find that hard to accept as a universal given....but if you have research to back it up.

I think people in positions of power often worry about the wrong things, due to underestimating the intelligence of subordinates....and IMHO, that's contributing to the ADF having more and more trouble attracting and retaining staff...

Justkate said:
Another teenager on Today Tonight clocked doing 208km on his motorbike - 6 month loss of license and a $1000 fine - was bragging about how he still rides and he was actually going faster.
I knew a young guy once who often used to brag about how quickly he could ride his bike between two towns he travelled between regularly.

The bragging stopped when he rode off the road one night and killed himself.

GP

I knew a young guy once who often used to brag about how quickly he could ride his bike between two towns he travelled between regularly.

The bragging stopped when he rode off the road one night and killed himself.

GP

Darwinism at it's finest.

BB

i really can't stand people who don't take responsibility for their actions. you either choose to break the rules, and then cop it sweet if you're found out, or you live by the rules. i'm a P-plater (at 27!) and never drink if i'm going to drive later in the day. not a beer at lunch, not a glass of wine with dinner and give it an hour or two to 'pass through'. if i have a big night then i won't drive until at least the following afternoon. maybe this is over cautious, but to me 0.00 means exactly that, and i don't want to have any trace of alcohol in my system, cos that's the rules. on the other hand, i regularly go about 10km over the limit driving from the city to the country, but if i ever got caught i wouldn't try to get out of it. so i'm not saying everyone ought to be a saint, just take responsibility. people who think they're special and think they can squirm their way out of legal and social responsibilities really p*ss me off. grow up for gods sake. and stop thinking you're a cut above everyone else. ok. rant over now.

Some of the supposed penalties are a joke that's for sure, after reading Kates story, it made me remember a few that have affected Bloss and I indirectly.

Her parent's are in their late 60's and ride Motorbikes and have done for year's. One day they were going left around a mountain bend [uphill] and a boy racer on his new 250cc 2 stroker [p plater] coming down the hill crossed to the wrong side of the road and collected them head on.

His bike was desribed in bike magazines as the fastest 250cc bike on the planet, and was a racing machine.

This area commonly has accident's with bike rider's racing on the mountain.

No damage to him, 12 mth's worth of hospital and recovery to the old's, and a drastic change of life which affect's them still, 5 or more year's later

Bike boy get's of scott free as he had contact's.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another good mate of mine's old man was a Merchant seaman, who stupidly enough had a couple of drinks after getting off the boat and drove home, as you did in the mid '70's.

As he was approaching home a car drove through a stop sign without giving way, mates Dad brakes heavily and T-bones the other car who's driver dies of a heart attack.

It was proven in court that there was no way that the outcome would have been any different if he had not been drinking.

Even though the driver was in his late 70's and had failed to stop and give way, none of this counted, and mate's dad spend's 18mth's in a prison farm, and loss of licensce for life. Mother had to go back to work,my mate and his sister had to get a job, and the family suffered hardship during these times

He blew .09 back in the .08 day's.

Not saying he should have got off, but here is a clear example of the rules getting more lenient and not being a deterrent as they should be.

BB

Even though the driver was in his late 70's and had failed to give way, none of this counted, and mate's dad spend's 18mth's in a prison farm, and loss of licensce for life.

I've certainly never heard of a loss of licence "for life".. which makes me wonder if there's other facts that are wrong or missing?

Don't rightly know, just what I was told at the time.

It was loss of liscence for his life as he died 2 years after getting out.

BB

Back