Driveway Recommendations

Hi All,

I have a driveway of sunken pavers and it's time it was redone.

As a first step, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what material to use? Main consideration for me is durability, i.e. I want it to last and I want it to remain in good nick.

So in order of importantance:
1. Durability
2. Style
3. Price

Currently considering:
- exposed aggregate
- Large pavers (600x600 or bigger)
- Liquid limestone (?)

Does anyone have any experiences or advice to share?
Thanks,
Gooram

Make sure you get 100mm or more poured through the whole slab.
check the depth at the edges after the pour. make sure you let them know they will have to fix it if is is not up to standard or as per your contract.

a pour that is too thin will crack if a car goes over the edges. its a pretty common scam for customers to be short-concreted so the contractor can save a few $.

i recommend this to everyone having a driveway poured.

Vital to have a solid and stable base.

Smaller pavers rather than larger as larger pavers could crack if base not even.

Clay pavers only and must be "driveway" rated.

My experience of 20+ years in the game.

So in order of importantance:
1. Durability
2. Style
3. Price

Currently considering:
- exposed aggregate
- Large pavers (600x600 or bigger)
- Liquid limestone (?)

Like this :confused:

Durability
- exposed aggregate
- Liquid limestone
- Large pavers

Style
- exposed aggregate
- Liquid limestone
- Large pavers

Also there will be contraction joints, Liquid limestone is crushed limestone mixed with cream cement

Price (H-L)
- exposed aggregate
- Liquid limestone
- Large pavers

Vital to have a solid and stable base.

Smaller pavers rather than larger as larger pavers could crack if base not even.

Clay pavers only and must be "driveway" rated.

My experience of 20+ years in the game.

So in your experience, if the base isn't right, it doesn't matter what's laid over the top? i.e. concrete will crack, pavers will sink and/or crack.

Assuming the base is done right, would you recommend any material over others?

Thanks for the feeback.

Another question: If resurfacing all the way to the fence, and said fence is to be replaced in the future, is it preferable to resurface after the new fence is in, or not an issue?

Cheers

So in your experience, if the base isn't right, it doesn't matter what's laid over the top? i.e. concrete will crack, pavers will sink and/or crack.

Assuming the base is done right, would you recommend any material over others?

Yes, foundations are everything, as always.
Who likes the look of sunken broken driveways?

I like pavers, but that's just me.
At least a broken or cracked paver can be replaced easily, not so easy with concrete.

So long as you don't resurface over the boundary line then fencing can go in later but preferable 1st so no mess is made on the new driveway.

Yes, a concrete base with steel reinforcement mesh for paved driveway is the best and safest foundation.

Min 70mm thick concrete base can be just rough screeded then between 15 & 20mm of washed river sand over the top nicely screeded and voila, a beautiful flat even surface to lay pavers on.

Cement the edge pavers to the slab so no escapes can be made.

Tip.

Use some 15x15 or 20x20 RHS lengths as screed guides for the sand. Then just fill in the lines when you take them up after screeding.

Back