Drug lab in IP

Think about what if a tenant later got sick and it turned out that the sickness was caused by the chemicals in the garage which you knew about but decided not to clean up. Could they sue you for negligence?

Definetly. If a tenant can sue you for falling over on a step that they did not report as being unsecured or broken or receive compensation because they think the heater isn't working as it should then they can sue you for 'illness' resulting from a meth lab cleanup not done to recommended standards.......

I have spoken to a meth lab clean up service. They have advised me that the initial testing of 6 swabs will be $330 and these very rarely come back clear. Next step is forensic testing $2500 - $3500, this will indentify levels and determine the method of clean up required (estimated to start at $5000). After the clean up is carried out further forensic testing is required which is around $2000. So we are looking at a minimum of $10000 according to this company!!!

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't be getting the same company to test and cleanup... they have a vested interest in maximising income don't you think?

I had a lab in a one bedroom apartment. They had been cooking in the bedroom with a FULL set uo for about a month.
The swab testing, results and report cost $1700.
The carpet cleaning (as they atually were considerate and didn't use the floor) directly was $130. We didn't need to replace carpet in our instance.
The washing and repainting of the ceiling and wall (which I could do myself as instructed by the tester) was $150.
The replacement of the wooden window sill where they rested a beaker was $300.
So all up it cost $2280.
The tenant's rent was still debited by my agent during the whole process.
The tenant then effectively paid the releasing fees and break lease fees.
I was lucky as my agent knew how to handle this situation and was very mature about the whole process.
The tenant even paid for cleaning and testing.
We used the bond for the repairs. All up 5 weeks we had the property vacant and didn't lose anything really. It was just a headache to begin with......

If you message me your email, I can get my agent to send you a copy of the report so you get an idea of what to expect?

I wasn't going to go into details with my situaiton, however I can not stand companies that take advantage and try to rip other people off in situaitons beyond their control........ :)

So all up it cost $2280.
The tenant's rent was still debited by my agent during the whole process.
The tenant then effectively paid the releasing fees and break lease fees.
I was lucky as my agent knew how to handle this situation and was very mature about the whole process.
The tenant even paid for cleaning and testing.
We used the bond for the repairs. All up 5 weeks we had the property vacant and didn't lose anything really. It was just a headache to begin with......

Very interesting.

Why the hell weren't they in jail for running a meth lab in your property?

I can well imagine it being a headache.:(

Cheers

Why the hell weren't they in jail for running a meth lab in your property?

Cheers

The tenant said he hadn't been living in the property rather his friend had been staying there as he had shifted in with his girlfriend.

The police advised that it wasn't actualy the tenant himself they were after but rather someone close to him who was well known to police for this kind of trade.

Update

Just thought id update this thread. We ended up ripping out carpets, blinds, anything pourus and cleaned up as best we could. We then used Qld health and forensics as recommended on the Australian guidelines to come and swab. They did 8 swabs at a cost of $1200, all came back clear. We then painted the whole house as an extra precaution. All up a pretty good outcome considering. Thanks for your replies.

Just found out that now ebm, aon and Terri scheer have amended their policies to now cover claims relating to clandestine labs.

Next step is forensic testing $2500 - $3500, this will indentify levels and determine the method of clean up required (estimated to start at $5000). After the clean up is carried out further forensic testing is required which is around $2000. So we are looking at a minimum of $10000 according to this company!!!

Forensic? Really?

Just thought id update this thread. We ended up ripping out carpets, blinds, anything pourus and cleaned up as best we could. We then used Qld health and forensics as recommended on the Australian guidelines to come and swab. They did 8 swabs at a cost of $1200, all came back clear. We then painted the whole house as an extra precaution. All up a pretty good outcome considering. Thanks for your replies.

that's great news ... while reading the thread I was going to suggest why don't you clean up yourselves (assuming it was a waterblast and alkaline wash of the garage) and THEN get the testing done.

Sounds like you did a lot more - but got a great result - and a depreciable minor reno at the same time.

Back