Duplex and covenant concerns

I'm new to the forum and am unsure of the protocol regarding posting related questions in 1 thread however, having searched prior posts, I've not found anything directly like my situation so here goes. I have 3 questions all relating to a Coomera duplex/land package (i.e. 2 adjacent houses on 1 corner lot) buying land from a Developer and the duplexes from a Builder.

1) We're being asked to sign a Building Covenant saying 'The land shall be used for a single dwelling only and the Buyer will not use or permit to be used any such building for any purpose other than a single unit private dwelling...'. Apparently, the Gold Coast Council wants duplexes on each corner lot and has stamped its approval on the duplex layout however I'll be much more comfortable when the language is made consistent to explicitly permit duplexes. Any thoughts on if I'm being paranoid.

2) There's also a Special Conditions clause on Resale of Property saying 'The Buyer covenants and agrees with the Seller that the Buyer will not sell or dispose of the Land in whole or part without the prior written consent of the seller which will not be withheld where the Buyer obtains a legally effective deed capable of enforcement by the Seller and in a form approved by the Seller from the Buyer or Disponee from the Buyer covenanting by that Buyer or Disponee in favor of the Seller with a similar force and effect of the covenants and provisions contained in these Special Conditions including a covenant to obtain this covenant.' (Sorry for the legalese - it's not my tortured logic) but in a nutshell I interpret this to mean we can't sell without getting written permission from the Developer after showing a contract which imposes the covenant on all future Buyers. My concerns are that this would put off future buyers and who signs if the Developer goes down the gurgler. They refuse to change the covenant and ask what our problem is as no other buyer or solicitor has challenged this clause. I'm close to walking away even though the yield and cap growth look good.
Mandating written consent for all future sales which seems onerous and overly restrictive, although the intent is clearly to protect all other buyers by enforcing the covenant in perpetuity. The same end can be achieved much more reasonably by mandating that the Buyer adhere to a clause that requires all future buyers to likewise adhere to the covenant. What would you do?

3) I've searched the posts regarding strata vs. torrens titling a duplex and, assuming we get past the above concerns, am leaning towards splitting the duplex into adjoining houses on separately titled lots. I've read quotes of up to $8K to get the Torrens title done however does this include stamp duty or just legal, council, and design fees. I would think that although the land is split into 2 lots both are still owned by the same people so there's no transfer of ownership to trigger the stamp duty.

I welcome any and all comments and sorry again for the length.

Cheers,

David

Covenant & Single to Duplex re-zoning...

Hi David,

Firstly... talk to your lawyer... (their job is to give you legal advise)

You said...

1) We're being asked to sign a Building Covenant saying 'The land shall be used for a single dwelling only and the Buyer will not use or permit to be used any such building for any purpose other than a single unit private dwelling...'. Apparently, the Gold Coast Council wants duplexes on each corner lot and has stamped its approval on the duplex layout however I'll be much more comfortable when the language is made consistent to explicitly permit duplexes. Any thoughts on if I'm being paranoid.

Building covenants are expected by buyers today.

Q. Is your block a "duplex block or a single block ?????

You also said...

2) There's also a Special Conditions clause on Resale of Property saying 'The Buyer covenants and agrees with the Seller that the Buyer will not sell or dispose of the Land in whole or part without the prior written consent of the seller which will not be withheld where the Buyer obtains a legally effective deed capable of enforcement by the Seller and in a form approved by the Seller from the Buyer or Disponee from the Buyer covenanting by that Buyer or Disponee in favor of the Seller with a similar force and effect of the covenants and provisions contained in these Special Conditions including a covenant to obtain this covenant.'

A covenant is normally passed from buyer to buyer. (By way of a deed of covenant.) And some estates restrict and eliminate "land speculators" and "poor resale" activity.

So this is pretty normal....

You also said...

3) I've searched the posts regarding strata vs. torrens titling a duplex and, assuming we get past the above concerns, am leaning towards splitting the duplex into adjoining houses on separately titled lots. I've read quotes of up to $8K to get the Torrens title done however does this include stamp duty or just legal, council, and design fees. I would think that although the land is split into 2 lots both are still owned by the same people so there's no transfer of ownership to trigger the stamp duty.

Hmmm... i highly doubt that you could buy a single dwelling site... then get a rezoning.... (remember... the developer is in control).

TALK TO YOU LAWYER.

Ross

Re: Covenant & Single to Duplex re-zoning...

Originally posted by Ross Sondergeld
Hi David,

'Firstly... talk to your lawyer... (their job is to give you legal advise)'

* My lawyer reviewed this first and didn't have a concern which has me questioning my choice of lawyers, but that's a separate issue.

You said...
'1) We're being asked to sign a Building Covenant saying 'The land shall be used for a single dwelling only and the Buyer will not use or permit to be used any such building for any purpose other than a single unit private dwelling...'. Apparently, the Gold Coast Council wants duplexes on each corner lot and has stamped its approval on the duplex layout however I'll be much more comfortable when the language is made consistent to explicitly permit duplexes. Any thoughts on if I'm being paranoid.

Building covenants are expected by buyers today.

Q. Is your block a "duplex block or a single block ?????'

* I'm OK with covenants but this one is a duplex block according to the builder which I will explicitly verify. The covenant should allow for duplex blocks to permit duplexes but it doesn't.

You also said...

"2) There's also a Special Conditions clause on Resale of Property saying 'The Buyer covenants and agrees with the Seller that the Buyer will not sell or dispose of the Land in whole or part without the prior written consent of the seller which will not be withheld where the Buyer obtains a legally effective deed capable of enforcement by the Seller and in a form approved by the Seller from the Buyer or Disponee from the Buyer covenanting by that Buyer or Disponee in favor of the Seller with a similar force and effect of the covenants and provisions contained in these Special Conditions including a covenant to obtain this covenant.'

A covenant is normally passed from buyer to buyer. (By way of a deed of covenant.) And some estates restrict and eliminate "land speculators" and "poor resale" activity.

So this is pretty normal...."

* Once again, I'm fine with enforcing covenants but this one leaves us up the creek if the developer goes bellyup.

You also said...
"3) I've searched the posts regarding strata vs. torrens titling a duplex and, assuming we get past the above concerns, am leaning towards splitting the duplex into adjoining houses on separately titled lots. I've read quotes of up to $8K to get the Torrens title done however does this include stamp duty or just legal, council, and design fees. I would think that although the land is split into 2 lots both are still owned by the same people so there's no transfer of ownership to trigger the stamp duty.

Hmmm... i highly doubt that you could buy a single dwelling site... then get a rezoning.... (remember... the developer is in control)."

* Council wants it to be duplex but it's currently on a single title. I would think that this wouldn't need rezoning.

"TALK TO YOU LAWYER. "

* The dialogue is ongoing however I've learned to value the advice and hardwon experience of investors as well.
Thanks for your post, Ross.

Ross

David

I once sold a block of land which was classified and priced as 'commercial' by the developer, and intended as a neighbourhood facility for the 200+ acre blocks in the subdivision.

The developer had thoughtfully applied for, and got, a 'blanket approval' for building on all these blocks.

However, when they lodged the application for a 'blanket approval' to build one residential dwelling per each acre block, someone had inadvertantly numbered the application 'Lots 1 - 205' and had forgotten that Lot 112 had a planning permit to be used as commercial.

Oops!

Well, oops notwithstanding, the 'blanket approval' was dated later than the planning approval so guess which approval applied to the commercial site?

Yep!

One residential dwelling!

So the commercial site - which had been pointed out to all purchasers and had become common knowledge, actually didn't exist. Double oops!

The Council said they would assess any new application to change the land use back again based on the merits of the new application. Bah, phooey!

The moral of the story is:

If you sign the covenant this runs with the title for perpetuity. It would take a Supreme court order to change or remove it.

Never mind hearsay about council rubber stamping anything. Buy that block, sign that covenant, and goodbye duplex.

In the past few weeks I have been interviewing mortgage aggregators. The largest aggregator in Australia presented me with a service contract which would set your hair on fire.

"I'm not signing that!" said I, and proceeded to email them a 20 point treatise on what was wrong with their contract, how it circumvented our natural justice system, how it breached the Fair Trading Act, and a few other breaches of Contract Law as well.

The sales manager rang me: "Well, we have nearly 1,000 brokers throughout Australia and they've all signed the same Contract! "

What can I say?

My parents used to say "If your friends walked into the fire, would you walk in, too?"

David - walk away. There are plenty of other opportunities out there. Go and see the Supreme Court as a tourist; buying this block of land will not serve your express purpose in buying it, and will only lead to tears before bedtime and a very costly visit to the Supreme Court at a later date.

And yes, find another solicitor.

Cheers

Kristine

Wow...Kristine, that's great info ! Always love reading your posts.

I know everyone should seeks professional advice but everyone here are investors & we all have the 'common' interests in properties & no professional advice could make you think as much as others real life experiences.

It's like talking to accountant who doesn't know much about trust or solicitors that doesn't understand properties.

cheers
Bubbles

Back