Duplex Building Help

Hi everyone,

I'm considering building duplexes or triplexes but not sure where to start. I have the time to do the research etc and would like help with the following.

Reputatable builder in the Newcastle area.
What costs I need to factor to determine if project is viable
What is a reasonable after fee and CGT profit to aim
Is there an excel spread sheet on this site to help crunch the numbers

Any other tips appreciated

Cheers everyone

I'll throw my 2c in.

Some points:
- highly competative market
- highly (potentially) strategy
- as a private (ie non builder) you reall need to buy well. That involves education & lots of due dilligence.
- finance - crucial. Talk to a top quality finance broker
- town planning - need a good basic knowledge of this & then have a private certifier handy.
- Holding charges (time) The number one cost blow out. When a project takes longer than expected (all the tradies are on the mines) you still have to pay % & rates & builder draws & ....... It all adds up.
- Time management & builder management. very very important
- profit is normally aimed at 30%
- allow 10% contingency - you'll need it
- use a bulk builder not a small builder (unless cost + 10%). Show them the block of land during contract period (part of due dilligence) & ask them 'what can I put on this in the most cost effective way, in the shortest possable time, and with rapid council approval (code compliant)'.
- be careful of the house demolition. If it has asbestos, heritage rating, etc it can stop everything dead
- as can environmental issues. Be careful (I am pro-green) as you may have to remove problem trees prior to even submitting a plan to be drawn up. Council can be really stupid about this & there is no logic at all. But where ever possable, leave established trees & plants - significant increase in values.
- Feastudy is a great software programme & when used with PIA creates a clear picture.

Regards

First start by educating yourself.

While property development can be lucrative, most beginning developers go broke because they don't know what they don't know.

This may be a little long - but let's look at the development process

Developers follow a sequence of steps from the moment they first conceive a project to the time they complete the physical construction and begin ongoing asset management. While the sequence may vary slightly, usually the development is broken up into the following elements:-

* coming up with the idea
* refining it
* testing its feasibility
* negotiating contracts
* making a formal commitment
* constructing the project
* completing the project and finally
* managing the new project.

While the process varies from project to project in essence the steps are as follows: -

1. Pre Purchase

Here you look for a block of land with potential for development. At this stage you should already have your finance in place so that you know your limits.

You should also have a team of consultants organised who can advise you as to the project's viability. These should include a development manager who can coordinate the whole process or individually, a solicitor, an architect, a surveyor a town planner and estate agent to advise honestly on end values and marketability.

2. Concept stage
Once you find a potential site, now you must come up with a concept for it. What can you put on it? How many units? How big? What restrictions are there? Are there overlays or covenants on the title?

To find out what can be built on the block you need to assess the local council's policy towards development and see how many new dwellings can be put on the block. At Metropole we tend to have these documents in our office but they are generally available over the internet at the local council's web site, or in hard copy form from their front desks.

You should also assess what the market wants in that area and what would sell or lease well. It is important to design and build a project that is marketable.

You must also undertake a detailed analysis of the neighbourhood as an important consideration of town planning is keeping the neighbourhood character.

Then you put pen to paper and do some sketches allowing for setbacks, driveways and private open space (as required by council and the planning scheme). Next place garages and parking spaces and leave room for turning circles to drive out in a forward motion as required by council. The land that is left over after all of this will determine how many units and of what size can fit on the block.

Next comes some number crunching in a feasibility program. Include time scales, all costs including consultants and construction costs as well include likely end sale values and the profit margin you want. This will enable you to work out what the land is worth to you.

At Metropole we use Feastudy, Australia's industry standard proeprty feaibility software. Click here for more details.

If it is a viable development we would consider putting an offer in for the land.

3. Purchase

At this stage you buy the land at a price that allows you to make a commercial profit. Decide in which entity you will get the best asset protection and the best tax advantages.

4. Town planning / Development Approval

Your architect draws up plans that fit in with the planning regulations and accords with the local council's development guidelines. Due to the increasing complexity of the development process, a surveyor and town planner are often involved at this stage. This stage may take up to 8 months before you get a development approval.

5. Working Drawing and documentation. Once the DA has been achieved your architect and engineer document the working drawings to allow you to get a building permit (called a Construction Certificate (CC) interstate.) This stage takes 2 - 3 months.

6. Pre Construction
At this stage we obtain quotes from builders and bank approval for the development loan.

7. Construction
Finally you get on site to build your project, paying the builder progressively at the completion of each stage using draw downs from our bank loan. This stage can last 6-12 months depending on the size of the project.

8. Completion

The project is then subdivided and leased or sold.

I hope this gives you a head start.

We are also running a series of 12 articles on property development that I contributed to at Property Update - please click here to read them

This stage may take up to 8 months before you get a development approval.

Many factors can contribute to this I'd allow 10 months , I have only had 1 of 20 take 6 months while the others bordered 10 months some 12months but this can depend on local council

Duplex Help

Just wanted to say thanks for the replys.

Michael, I was thinking of small projects subject to viabilty etc and appreciate your detailed advice. After reading the process, it sounds very drawn out, expensive and not for the faint hearted. I was thinking I would start small with a large building company with off the plan designs. I figured they would know the ropes.

I liked your point "they don't kknow what they don't know".

rambada,your 2 cents worth was great. I have PIA pro and not heard of the software you recommended as did Michael.

Muffinman.....I was thinking 12 months from start to finish allowing for weather, tradies etc and having boned up on the process well before turning soil. I must admitt I am green (no pun intended) with construction but a fast learner.

josko...glad you liked the post..lol

The bottom line is I am trying to figure the best way to build captal growth in the property sector. I own my own place and am cashed up. Time frame of about 8 years before I would be looking at more income producing assets.

Cheers all

coach

are there any coaching services available? i am most interested in prop devt but really don't know how to start!

Keep it simple I did. Stay with a Duplex.

Look at RE.com and find out what new duplex’s are selling for so you can do your math’s.

Rothwell Qld 3br dlug about 310k
Rothwell Qld 4br dlug about 340k

Go the council your thinking of building in and ask them what their requirements are for a block to be rezoned for a duplex. They will give you the dimensions required. I went to Redcliffe. 600m2 with 20 mtr front.

Find a block that suites and buy it. Rothwell around 240k to 260k cheaper if possible.
Talk to a couple of builders and you should get prices from 270k to 290k turn key

Allow about 25k for extra’s

Total package needs to stay under 550k

Total sales should be 620 to 680 depending on what you build.

Its not hard

Keep it simple I did. Stay with a Duplex.

Look at RE.com and find out what new duplex’s are selling for so you can do your math’s.

Rothwell Qld 3br dlug about 310k
Rothwell Qld 4br dlug about 340k

Go the council your thinking of building in and ask them what their requirements are for a block to be rezoned for a duplex. They will give you the dimensions required. I went to Redcliffe. 600m2 with 20 mtr front.

Find a block that suites and buy it. Rothwell around 240k to 260k cheaper if possible.
Talk to a couple of builders and you should get prices from 270k to 290k turn key

Allow about 25k for extra’s

Total package needs to stay under 550k

Total sales should be 620 to 680 depending on what you build.

Its not hard

Hi Wayne,

It just so happens I have bought two blocks side by side in Rock Sreet, Scarborough. . . . I'm in NSW and about to have a baby, but want to build townhouses on them when I can get my head around it.

Both blocks have houses on them, which I have just put tenants in. I have done some very rough numbers and need more growth in the market before I think I can start it.

What are your ideas on developing from a distance and how often do you think I will need to be up there to oversee things.

Know of any good Project Managers?

My experience with any sort of tradesman up there has been fantastic, but they are all absolutely flat out, I suspect builders are too.

Jo

Hello Wayne

Thanks for the positive reply. Its good to talk to people who have been there and done that.

I'm going to be doing alot of research before taking the plunge in any specific direction but I think once I'm up to speed it will be the building path.

Cheers

Swany

Hi Wayne,

It just so happens I have bought two blocks side by side in Rock Sreet, Scarborough. . . . I'm in NSW and about to have a baby, but want to build townhouses on them when I can get my head around it.

Both blocks have houses on them, which I have just put tenants in. I have done some very rough numbers and need more growth in the market before I think I can start it.

What are your ideas on developing from a distance and how often do you think I will need to be up there to oversee things.

Know of any good Project Managers?

My experience with any sort of tradesman up there has been fantastic, but they are all absolutely flat out, I suspect builders are too.

Jo

Hi Jo

Rock st is an awesome street and you will do very well provided you do your home work. As far as streets go in Scarborough they don't get much better. Rock St is zoned Mixed Res.

As for project managers it will depend on what you are doing with the blocks. I have not needed to use a project manager yet.

My first project was in Mt Isa I renoed both sides of an old duplex and never needed to set foot in the place. You just need to be keen. One of my rules is to never ever let anyone have the burden of having to call me back, I always call the tradie. I always ask for time frames and ask them if its ok to call on a daily basis to keep up to date with progress. I treat tradies like gold. Expect the project to have some hicups and solve as you go.

IMO only

First start by educating yourself.

5. Working Drawing and documentation. Once the DA has been achieved your architect and engineer document the working drawings to allow you to get a building permit (called a Construction Certificate (CC) interstate.) This stage takes 2 - 3 months.

6. Pre Construction
At this stage we obtain quotes from builders and bank approval for the development loan.

7. Construction
Finally you get on site to build your project, paying the builder progressively at the completion of each stage using draw downs from our bank loan. This stage can last 6-12 months depending on the size of the project.

8. Completion

The project is then subdivided and leased or sold.

I hope this gives you a head start.

We are also running a series of 12 articles on property development that I contributed to at Property Update - please click here to read them

First of all, thanks Wayne, it's great to have someone that knows the area confirm I've made the right decision with Rock Street.
I spent about 9 months researching and following Redcliffe stats, made three trips up there and made myself a right pest to R/E Agents but I have a feeling it will pay off.
I'll keep you tuned as to how I go.

Michael,
Great advice and I've been following the property development articles in API with keen interst.

What are your thoughts on me attempting a small development (5 townhouses) from interstate. :rolleyes:

Hi Swany

For a project builder to work on your duplexes I would recommend Masterton and I can put you on to a good contact if you want to pm me. They will look at your block and advise on what suits the block. Aswell as their standard designs for a cost of (I think $1500.00) they will draw up a plan to suit your block. There is no charge to have a look at the block. You can find cheaper builders but I have been down that path and won't be going there again - not that they are the dearest either!

Good Luck!

First of all, thanks Wayne,

Michael,
Great advice and I've been following the property development articles in API with keen interst.

What are your thoughts on me attempting a small development (5 townhouses) from interstate. :rolleyes:

A five unit development is not a "small" development in most people's eyes. Especially banks for funding.

If you are inexperienced and particularity if you live interstate, you need a proficient project manager to protect your interests.

And you probably need deeper pockets than you think.

A five unit development is not a "small" development in most people's eyes. Especially banks for funding.

If you are inexperienced and particularity if you live interstate, you need a proficient project manager to protect your interests.

And you probably need deeper pockets than you think.

Thanks again Michael,

I'll keep up the research. I have priced the townhouses and I do need to wait for the market at Scarborough to grow more in order to make a worthwhile profit and you're right - to be able to finance the project.

I am inexperienced at developing and the distance thing is a big concern for me. It would be a big call.

JO:)

Hey Sparky,
Masterton Homes are on my to do list, so your contacts name might come in handy. I will send you an email.

Cheers

4. Town planning / Development Approval

Your architect draws up plans that fit in with the planning regulations and accords with the local council's development guidelines. Due to the increasing complexity of the development process, a surveyor and town planner are often involved at this stage. This stage may take up to 8 months before you get a development approval.

Thanks for the great summary Michael. I was told only owners were allowed to submit DAs. Is that true? What if you had optioned a block or got a long settlement but didn't want to give your hand away in terms of letting the vendor know what you were up to. I suppose they may find out eventually? Is there anyway of submitting the DA to council for the land only so to speak?

Back