Dysart QLD

im not far away actually....having lived up this way half my life ive have never considered buying into any mining community personally...high risk, high rewards i dont like with any venture..........

id sit on the fence further actually if your considering buying in at some point, coal industry isnt so flash up this way at present......

Mackay and Rocky are both the centre points of all mines up this way.....

What's it like?

How about doing search on "Dysart" for a start :D

See this thread: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36759

W2BW I take it from all your recent postings that you are looking for a cf+ property to buy;)

I mean to say that Dysart has huge rental yield returns of 9.5% or so. Has had huge capital growth - in 2002 the median was $35K and it got to $430K in 2008/9. (RPData & APM) But it only has a population of 3,300:eek:

But bear in mind the old axiom: You can have yield, growth or low risk - PICK ANY 2.

So with Dysart you have high yield, high growth - so you get high risk with it.

Thanks Prop, You guessed it ;)

Any cool suggestions don't be shy to let me in, I know you've got the goods! :)
I'm actually seeking capital growth, but the investment must pay its way or at least be neutral from day one.

How about doing search on "Dysart" for a start :D

See this thread: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36759

W2BW I take it from all your recent postings that you are looking for a cf+ property to buy;)

I mean to say that Dysart has huge rental yield returns of 9.5% or so. Has had huge capital growth - in 2002 the median was $35K and it got to $430K in 2008/9. (RPData & APM) But it only has a population of 3,300:eek:

But bear in mind the old axiom: You can have yield, growth or low risk - PICK ANY 2.

So with Dysart you have high yield, high growth - so you get high risk with it.

Any cool suggestions don't be shy to let me in, I know you've got the goods! :)
I'm actually seeking capital growth, but the investment must pay its way or at least be neutral from day one.

I still like my old favourite house/granny flat combo.

You can pick up something quite reasonable for under $350K that rents for $485 p week combined rent ($290 + $195).
You get the same GC as elsewhere in the suburb but higher (much) yield. And this comes with a slightly higher risk as per my last post. One of the risks in this case is slightly higher vacancy rate as not everyone wants to live in this kind of set-up.

There are other options like the deal I found in Newcastle the other day. (its sold now) $329K for a 3 brm villa within walking distance to Newcastle Uni that rents for $390 p week (3 students paying only $130 p w each). Virtually zero vacancy on a prop like this.

..............and not a mining company in sight of either of these 2 deals ;)

Dysart

What's it like?

Anyone been there?
Is it a growth town?
Driving factors?
Sustainability?

I sure ask alot of questions? :D

Hi

I grew up around near that area, Blackwater (another small mining based town). I've seen friends from school who bought their house for $18k from the mines (way before soaring rents) and it's those who are doing well now. Others jumped on board in the early days and have done great. But I've always comtemplated buying there, (I go a few times a year to visit family) but it really is having your eggs in one basket.

Now you'll pay a premium price for really is an average house in an average town. I've lived there when one mine closed down and it was mass exodus, miners and supporting service people all left, school numbers down and the flow on effect. At that stage alot of houses were sold and removed. Now it's booming again but it's hard one to judge. The fluctuations can be extreme.

In my opinion, the boat is missed in CQ coal mining town, the risk is too great. Yeah great returns at the moment but any change will have the rents plummeting back down as well as property value.

Some of the bigger mining centres such a Mackay would be preferable for me, so much more to offer, not dependent on one industry.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Stacey

Dysart

Curently live in Dysart, (susidised mine house) i would say stay away from purchasing regardless of what mining industry doing, curently in a bit of a slump now, houses that were selling overnight, now sitting, and quite a few of them. A workmate had a contract on a house and the bank declined finance as they thought value would drop in the near future.
Portse

Back