Early cyclone season?

That is early, say, do you have a cellar or underground safety retreat to dive into? (You know filled with torches, batteries, and books ...plus necessities, like chocolate and wine?) :)

Cyclones can be scary...hope they fizzle out to limp hot air, stay safe.

Sailor

When I was there last month I made a visit to the crocodile farm and they were mating! - very early!! according to our tour driver that meant an early wet season, so maybe the crocs were right!!

Chris

That is early, say, do you have a cellar or underground safety retreat to dive into? (You know filled with torches, batteries, and books ...plus necessities, like chocolate and wine?) :)
Cyclones can be scary...hope they fizzle out to limp hot air, stay safe.
Not really, lock up the beach house, put the deck furniture inside, just grab the pooch and some champers and chocolate and high tail it off to some friends on higher ground for a cyclone party...just the usual stuff.
A few more sites that have good stuff sailor

Dave
They were good thanks BB...loved the Noumean one...got me practising my French. LOL
Sailor
When I was there last month I made a visit to the crocodile farm and they were mating! - very early!! according to our tour driver that meant an early wet season, so maybe the crocs were right!!
Chris
Yes, and the mangoes are early and with long stems...so it looks like it will be an early and more intense cyclone season. Also I heard that the crocs were nesting on higher ground...another indicator.
Latest prediction:
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/t...E/ssmi/latest1km&TYPE=ssmi&PROD=gif&SIZE=full

And they're just about to name the very first one! What did we get up to last year? Larry, Monica... um let's see, is it Nancy's turn or Neville? No wait, we're further on than that aren't we?

Just heard - it's been named GUBA!!! It's a fair way off, up near PNG. Hope it heads east away from us, but I don't get that name!

Yea, Im hoping all cyclone seasons wont be too bad because property prices will plummit, along with population/ supply and demand if one hits direct.
This didn't happen with Cyclone Larry. Property and rental prices nearly doubled (more demand for accommodation, less supply), more work for the builders and tradies, BIG payouts for the landlords who had LL and rental insurance. So tis not an ill wind that doesn't bring some good to someone.:D

Glucose

That name (Guba) was allocated by the authorities in PNG - someone told me ages ago that the government of the country where the cyclone 'starts' is responsible for the naming of it.

Cheers
LynnH

What the hell does 'GUBA' mean ?

Phil. :)

BTW, Our dogs are not enjoying the daily afternoon storms in Darwin and have asked for them to please stop.

Long range weather forecaster has predicted flooding rain for Brisbane late january. Hopefully he is right. Unless our reno isn't finished in which case I hope he is wrong.

I wonder if we should be trading banana futures?

Your Brisbane weather forecaster may be right about January.
Our mangoes on our trees in Lowood are only hens egg size and as green as. Late mangoes this year. The bats are camped just out of town on the Brisbane river just waiting for them to ripen.

This didn't happen with Cyclone Larry. Property and rental prices nearly doubled (more demand for accommodation, less supply), more work for the builders and tradies, BIG payouts for the landlords who had LL and rental insurance. So tis not an ill wind that doesn't bring some good to someone.:D

Wow! thats good news,
I was thinking more along the lines of cyclone tracy though, where the whole town gets flattened and we all have to start from scratch, I believe that in that type of case, people will be too scared to live here anymore and also have no where to live, probarbly driving many out of town and therefore I thought the prices would plummit for a good number of years because of fear.

But I like your scenario better :D

W2BW...Cyclone Tracey was 30 years ago, and many houses are now cyclone proof or nearer to it than they were then. Older houses now just lose a roof or a bit of it. So tis not a total disaster like previously. :)

W2BW...Cyclone Tracey was 30 years ago, and many houses are now cyclone proof or nearer to it than they were then. Older houses now just lose a roof or a bit of it. So tis not a total disaster like previously. :)

Yea thats true but I still think most people would be left with that.. uneasy feeling and prices wouldnt exactly be skyrocketing, but the building code has certainly bettered since so that does add some extra piece of mind.

Back