Easements and clearance lines - can someone translate

Hi, would someone be able to clarify/translate this email response from Water Corp. I wish to develop 5 units on this property but I notice that there is a sewer junction and easement running West ->South along the property.

Can you clarify what this means 'A sewer access chamber must be trafficable if it is situate in any proposed driveway' and does this not contradict this statement 'Surfaces can be installed up to the edge of the chamber to its own level however they are not trafficable and cannot have traffic nor vehicles parked on top.'

Does this still look like a good buy at 475k? The 2 access chambers, both boundary fences out of positions and the clearance lines seem like a deal breaker.

Thanks!

--MY QUESTION TO WATERCORP--
Can i
1)Pave a brick driveway to the back of the property along the southern boundary fence over the sewer main easement
2) Pave a brick driveway around the sewer chamber lids and still use this as a driveway
3)What a sewer clearance line is and what this means in respect to putting a dwelling on top of it.
Regarding point 2, Its my understanding that you must keep 1m clear on all sides from the chamber lid and you can not use the sewer chamber lid area as a parking bay but I want to confirm that its legal to drive over it. (driveway)

--WATER CORP RESPONSE--
In general the Water Corporation does not have any specific requirements for surface treatments on top of sewer mains such as concrete, bitumen, paving other than in respect to the access to access chambers. An access chamber must remain clear at all times. Surfaces can be installed up to the edge of the chamber to its own level however they are not trafficable and cannot have traffic nor vehicles parked on top.

A sewer access chamber must be trafficable if it is situate in any proposed driveway. An chamber can be upgraded via an application to our Maintenance Reimbursement works section of the Water Corporation. Further information in relation to trafficable chambers can be obtained directly from that Section on 131395.

The sewer clearance line protects the integrity of the sewer main and denotes the clearance for building and development. You cannot build on top of a clearance line.

Attachments

• 72 Gt Northern Highway Midland.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 157
As far as I am aware, and from what I'm reading in their response, you can put your driveway along the south boundary, they will just require you to apply for approval, then pay for the upgrade of the access chambers to make them trafficable. I have no idea how much this will cost.

It looks like the fences that aren't on the boundary are in shitty condition or unsuitable anyway and you'll probably have to upgrade them. So not that big a deal if you are making money on the rest of the project.

Are you trying to retain the front property? At a glance it doesn't look like you have enough clearance at the side to do that. Also, I'm vaguely aware of some DAs requiring you to update the front property to match the visual style of the new dwellings, the cost of this may be significant.

The front property is failing down and needs to be removed (ceiling has dropped in some place).

In regards to the fence, its not the cost of the fence but the cost of the re-pegging and survey and then court costs to move the fence to the correct position. My father in law spend 35K fighting the neighbour when he knowingly rebuilt his fence over the boundary.

I found a internet post that states its about 3k to upgrade the chamber lids. If i can drive over the upgraded chamber lids then why does it state 'Surfaces can be installed up to the edge of the chamber to its own level however they are not trafficable and cannot have traffic nor vehicles parked on top.'

Thanks

If i can drive over the upgraded chamber lids then why does it state 'Surfaces can be installed up to the edge of the chamber to its own level however they are not trafficable and cannot have traffic nor vehicles parked on top.'

"...in their current state, however if you upgrade..."

I found a internet post that states its about 3k to upgrade the chamber lids. If i can drive over the upgraded chamber lids then why does it state 'Surfaces can be installed up to the edge of the chamber to its own level however they are not trafficable and cannot have traffic nor vehicles parked on top.'

The manhole lid likely needs to be upgraded to a HTR lid with the lid set flush with your proposed driveway surface (normally in non trafficable areas manhole lids are set 100mm above the surrounding surface). I'm not sure of the exact cost although I would think it is cheaper than 3K. HTR manhole lids are what you see in roadways etc where the sewer manhole had to be placed in the road for whatever reason.

Thanks everyone.

Also is there any difference in regards to building on a sewer easement compared to a sewer clearance line. I know that you can build 2.5m from an easement or 600mm if you use piles. Is this the same for a clearance area?

Looking at the plan it seems the clearance line will only affect the driveway which is not a concern (i think) but im not sure how it affects me building a dwelling at the back end of the block.

Also is there any difference in regards to building on a sewer easement compared to a sewer clearance line. I know that you can build 2.5m from an easement or 600mm if you use piles. Is this the same for a clearance area?

I don't know what a "clearance area" is.
You can not build within an easement.

The distances you mention have nothing to do with easements, and more to do with the "zone of influence" set out in the "protection of services guidelines," available from Water Corp. (I've linked to a pdf a bunch of times on this forum.)

600mm is an absolute minimum distance, measured from the centre of the sewer line to the closest part of your footing.

2.5m is incorrect. this distance changes depending on depth of sewer & pipe materials. This is easily worked out using the Protection of Services guidelines.

There are exceptions, but they can be pretty expensive.

That is an unusual looking survey plan. What is up with using the cartoon esque like house and fence symbols? Not to mention the dozen hazard symbols.

Back