Electrical fittings

I am looking to get electrical fitings like
Switches
Gang boxes
installed

which brands should i look at and which ones can i ignore.

regards

Clipsal and HPM are the main ones used in Aust.
Be careful if you order online not all meets Australian standards.

I personally prefer the clipsal range. If you want to make it look a little snazzy you can get different colors and/or metal finish.

Edit: There has also been some fake circuit breakers etc being sold online recently. Instead of a trip device for the given current all they are is a switch. Get a fault and they dont turn off!!

My electrician will only use clipsal products.
I think they are still Australian made.

I had a few HPM switches replaced recently after two years after the
actual switches packed it in.

For Joe Bloggs off the street, JR Turks are very expensive. Go to TLE instead, their prices are far better for occasional buyers.

The reason i am looking at getting the equipment myself is because i want to reduce total costs paid to electrician. I have received 2 quotes one at 4100 and the other at 1975 for the same job.

Also, i seem to notice that every electrical wholesaler gave me a different price.
http://electriciansupplies.com.au is almost 50% of the cost of some products and more costly for others.

Seems like a racket this wholesale business.

Regards

bunnings = crap
ive used clipsal in alot of homes ive done (sparky) and never had a call back to replace anything, fingers crossed
i like using + the look of the classic range with metal cover plate. if using slimline range, dont overtighten mounting screws as it will warp the body and coverplate wont fit on properly.

yup some sparkies are just rip offs.

they will try to charge you for everything..

installing a downlight can cost $30-$150. you tell me.

Yes I sympathise with you.
There are some blokes out there that will see an easy target. I can't give you a real answer, other than get a minimum of three quotes if necessary.
I've been in the trade for thirty years, and have seen many things that other tradesmen and property owners have done themselves. You can walk away shaking your head at times with the poor quality that was done previously. I think about it often and wonder how these guys sleep at night knowing the potential of a disaster in waiting. I have said this often on this forum, and I urge people not to attempt DIY Electrical work. Leave it for the Licensed Electrician. Just get one that you are happy with the price given, and his attitude/manner towards the job is a pretty good indication of his ability to do the job right.

Prices from various wholesalers do vary. It's down to buying power, if a wholesaler is buying bucketloads of gear from the manufacturers - they will get a better price and can pass it on. I have an account with TLE and get most things at the biggest discount available, simply because I've had an account for as long as I've been a contractor. I don't buy thousands of dollars worth a month or even hundreds, I just have a good customer relationship with the guys behind the counter, as they have known me for years. Just ask for best price when you go in, and pay cash if you can.

Hope that helps.

It is unless you're in the industry. You wouldnt get wholesale pricing in any industry unless youre actually in it. I dont expect wholesale car parts or tools, or dental equipment or office supplies or plumbers supplies fruit and veg....etc etc ......cause im not in the industry and dont own a business in the industry.

Seems like a racket this wholesale business.

Regards

Why should people outside the industry expect wholesale pricing?

I used to occasionally get smart arze (tight arze) customers asking me for my trade wholesale invoice so they wanted to know i wasnt ripping them off. So i'd get the wholesaler to print up my invoice for trade prices. Little do people outside the industry know that sparkies get trade pricing minus anywhere from 15% to 80%!! for some items.

Reminds me of an old saying "its only a rort if youre not in on it" :D

Bunnings sell HPM, Clipsal and Arlec as well as a lot of other no name brands.

bunnings = crap
ive used clipsal in alot of homes ive done (sparky) and never had a call back to replace anything, fingers crossed
i like using + the look of the classic range with metal cover plate. if using slimline range, dont overtighten mounting screws as it will warp the body and coverplate wont fit on properly.

Wholesalers work off rebates from suppliers as do a lot of suppliers of anything. If they reach certain targets they will get $% credits back.

I used to spend 10's of thousands per month on electrical wholesale accounts and be taken on harbor cruises, lunches, bottles of top scotch waiting for me at the wholesaler. Its all business.

Prices from various wholesalers do vary. It's down to buying power, if a wholesaler is buying bucketloads of gear from the manufacturers - they will get a better price and can pass it on. I have an account with TLE and get most things at the biggest discount available, simply because I've had an account for as long as I've been a contractor. I don't buy thousands of dollars worth a month or even hundreds, I just have a good customer relationship with the guys behind the counter, as they have known me for years. Just ask for best price when you go in, and pay cash if you can.

Hope that helps.

Back