Electrical fittings

Wholesalers work off rebates from suppliers as do a lot of suppliers of anything. If they reach certain targets they will get $% credits back.

I used to spend 10's of thousands per month on electrical wholesale accounts and be taken on harbor cruises, lunches, bottles of top scotch waiting for me at the wholesaler. Its all business.

Great - you back into business and I'll come and work for you, then with your appreciation of my hard work, you can then take me on one of those lunches or harbor cruises.

Just kidding obviously, but you are correct, and I agree with what you say about clients asking for the price you paid at wholesaler, and expecting the discount. If they supply the items themselves and simply want install, how did you price the job. Quote or Hourly rate?

yup some sparkies are just rip offs.

they will try to charge you for everything..

installing a downlight can cost $30-$150. you tell me.

Installing downlights can take a lot of time if there is multiple in a room.
Lining them all up even with a laser, then checking that you are not going to hit any obstructions.

Properly done they have a gpo, some guys just hard wire. Hell the heat guards cost about $20 alone.

home owner electricals:
1880 house
wired ~1900 when power came to town
modifed "upgraded" over years​
power circuit comes out of the fuse box, through a bunch of gpo (>12), all over the house, and eventually, loops back into the fuse panel to another fuse
both fuses had 30amp fuses (supposed to be 15A, and supposed to be only 1)
sparkies repairing the house scoped the walls
the 1.0mm wire in this circuit was red hot, burned all the insulation off, if it hadnt been 1900 wiring, where each conductort is separate and pegged to ceramic posts would hace been 'interesting'
14 circuits for the whole 6000sqft house,
all cut immediately
a power pole set up in the middle of the house for the trades to tie to, and every thing else cut
same house made safe, 125 circuits​
I pull wire for the sparkies, its easy with the walls out
they come and tie in and circuit test
scares the *hi* out of me

I would never do a job like that (install only and any sparkie worth his salt shouldnt. I gave a fixed price for the job., take it or leave it.

What i meant in my previous post only happened in my early days when i was a one man band. (i ended up with 5 sparkies and a couple of subbies working for me later) but what i was referring to was when a customer wants to see that you've only charged him trade price for material.

So i'd get the wholesaler to print up a 'trade price' invoice for his material and i'd show this to the customer and he'd be happy.

What he didn't realise is that sparkies get big discounts (20% - 80%) off trade prices that are the business of only the sparkie and the wholesaler.

People should try going to any other suppliers and ask for wholesale prices. You'll be laughed out of the store.

Just kidding obviously, but you are correct, and I agree with what you say about clients asking for the price you paid at wholesaler, and expecting the discount. If they supply the items themselves and simply want install, how did you price the job. Quote or Hourly rate?

I would never do a job like that (install only and any sparkie worth his salt shouldnt. I gave a fixed price for the job., take it or leave it

Times are tough man. At the moment for me any work is money to feed the family. I'm doing a job this Saturday which is simply hanging and wiring a Chandelier in a stairwell.

A chandelier is a bit different. I was referring to when people want to supply GPO's or switches etc.

Work slow mate? Should be plenty around.

Times are tough man. At the moment for me any work is money to feed the family. I'm doing a job this Saturday which is simply hanging and wiring a Chandelier in a stairwell.

home owner electricals:
1880 house
wired ~1900 when power came to town
modifed "upgraded" over years​
power circuit comes out of the fuse box, through a bunch of gpo (>12), all over the house, and eventually, loops back into the fuse panel to another fuse
both fuses had 30amp fuses (supposed to be 15A, and supposed to be only 1)
sparkies repairing the house scoped the walls
the 1.0mm wire in this circuit was red hot, burned all the insulation off, if it hadnt been 1900 wiring, where each conductort is separate and pegged to ceramic posts would hace been 'interesting'
14 circuits for the whole 6000sqft house,
all cut immediately
a power pole set up in the middle of the house for the trades to tie to, and every thing else cut
same house made safe, 125 circuits​
I pull wire for the sparkies, its easy with the walls out
they come and tie in and circuit test
scares the *hi* out of me

I stayed on a farm in your neck of the woods. They had to pull a cupboard out to plug in my power adaptor as that was the only socket with an earth. Later on when I went to Mexico I removed the earth pin from my adaptor otherwise I would never have plugged it in. Australian standards are much higher.

I stayed on a farm in your neck of the woods. They had to pull a cupboard out to plug in my power adaptor as that was the only socket with an earth. Later on when I went to Mexico I removed the earth pin from my adaptor otherwise I would never have plugged it in. Australian standards are much higher.

That slack attitude would come with 110V I'd guess. In a previous life when i kept tropical fish I bought a diatom filter made in the US. It had no earth and a metal case. No idea how it got into the country.

Guys,
I ultimately bought the electrical fittings from L&H Castle Hill. Had to start the dialogue about why there prices were so high and they then provided what i believe trade prices.

About getting a sparky to do change to newer looking GPO's, switches and lights received two quotes
one at 4100 AUD and the second at 1975 AUD . When i asked the guy what number had he used as his hourly charges his response was 100 AUD an hour.

Dont understand why these trades quote. Think the customer is dumb

Regards

[snip] .. Dont understand why these trades quote. Think the customer is dumb

Regards
Most of the time they'd be right
power-cord-pool.jpg
, is the customer the sparky sees

Assume the lowest possible level for everything, if you are wrong its a pleasant surprise,

Tradesmen are like dogs: They know when you are scared of them.

I've been spending a bit of money on renos in the last year or so and the quote I got today will put me up close to $50k. I haven't given them a hard time and they have returned the favour. I'll admit I have been fortunate because in most cases there has been a friend giving a recommendation.

I asked an old school mate who has has had a rent roll for "centuries" for a plasterer and got a $4k quote on quite a job from "his" guy. Hardly an hour later I was walking into the pub for a beer and saw a fellow who went to school with my son in his "painter" gear so I asked if he would do a job for me and he said "Sure Mr Fish. I'll help you out". He's a good lad and I'm sure he will.

Them's the breaks I guess.

About getting a sparky to do change to newer looking GPO's, switches and lights received two quotes
one at 4100 AUD and the second at 1975 AUD . When i asked the guy what number had he used as his hourly charges his response was 100 AUD an hour.

Regards

So all up, how many sockets, switches, lights and types of light fittings are you talking about here?
Did you specify a particular range you wanted fitted? (ie: Clipsal 2000 series)

The two quotes are a long way apart.

What do you as a customer consider a reasonable hourly rate?
I'm interested - as I'm a member on an Electrical forum, and this topic has come up regulary. I can tell you, most Self-employed Sparkies work on around $80.00/hr

You cant expect, trade or wholesale prices if your not in the trade.

Do you go into a furniture store or milk bar and ask for wholesale price?

The Electricians price he gets is built over years of dealings with the wholesalers and.

The price varies so much on equipment its not funny. the more you buy the smaller markup they put on it.

alokahuja when you said he gave you trade price, he probably didn't.
Also if you think his hourly rate is to high. I suggest you read this post by someone in another thread Its very good

Here is the link to a calculator to work out how much to charge.
http://www.masterplumbers.com/utilities/costcalc/

Also understand that you do not have work week in, week out and not all days are money making. Not to mention people ripping you off builders going bust and taking all your money.
I'm not saying tradies don't overcharge, but understand the cost of doing business in this country is crazy. OHS, workers comp, and employee’s entitlements all add up to a very large %. There are plenty of hands in my pocket.
But there are always those shonks that charge way too much (and there are plenty). They usually end up with no work.
It's hard to explain to those that are employees because they have a totally different mentality and how things should be priced to someone running a business.

More calc
Quote:
Historically, we have always charged ourselves out on an hourly basis. If we think a project will take 15 hours to design, we estimate 15 x our hourly rate. This makes it imperative that our hourly rate isn't plucked out of thin air; it must cover our fixed costs + wages + a profit margin.

Fixed costs and wages are called expenses. These are non-job related costs that must be paid regardless of how much work is produced. They include things like equipment leases, car expenses (including parking), internet connection (including download/upload costs), fax and photocopier paper, rent, accounting and advertising costs. It's also important to remember that wages include salary + tax + superannuation + workcover insurance costs.

The amount of profit margin you want is determined by past experience and the market. A suggested benchmark is 20%.

One way to ascertain an hourly rate is to add your fixed costs of (say) $5,000 per month with the wages bill of (say) $5,000 per month with a profit rate of (say) 20% i.e. $2,000 per month.

$5,000 + $5,000 + $2,000 = $12,000 per month or $144,000 per year.

Next, it's safe to assume you will work 48 weeks (240 working days) per year, less public holidays. The number of public holidays will vary from state to state, but, on average we work about 234 working days. Multiply that by 8 hours per day = 1872 billable hours per person per year.

That means your hourly rate is $144,000/1872 = $77 per hour.

You might think that's great because you're charging $100.00 per hour.

Wrong.

The $77 per hour assumes that you can charge yourself out for 8 hours of every working day of the year.

What about time for new business, or administration duties?

A more realistic figure is to work on 6 hours billable per day, making your total billable hours 1,404 per year

With fixed costs and profit of $144,000 per year your hourly rate is $144,000/1404 = $102 per hour.

To make the hourly rate even more accurate, you must identify all possible chargeable time and the items you purchase on behalf of your clients. One example is travelling time to and from client meetings. If you don't want to charge it, but find you are spending 1 hour a day on the road, then you need to revisit your overheads formula and work on 5 hours billable per day, equalling 1170 hours per year. That will change your hourly rate to $123.

We have found by rigid examination of the hours we work, the tasks we do and the cost of running the business, we are able to sustain good, reliable profits.
You may charge at a set rate but it doesn't mean people will take it if it's too high. So it ends up a catch 22 situation. You lose days from too high a quote and end up needing to charge more to cover costs. Which means you end up losing more work. You have to be flexible in different cycles of the economy. There are times where you make it and times to get by in.

Mate, you wouldn't know if you got trade prices or not. Just because the guy at the wholesaler tells you its is or it says so on your invoice, doesnt mean it is. I bet you're paying close to retail and you would probably have been better off getting the sparkies to quote supply & install.

As for the wildly varying quotes, all it means is one sparkie needs/wants the work more than the other. It has nothing to do with you or your job.

Guys,
I ultimately bought the electrical fittings from L&H Castle Hill. Had to start the dialogue about why there prices were so high and they then provided what i believe trade prices.

Regards

Bunnings sell HPM, Clipsal and Arlec as well as a lot of other no name brands.

1. their range is crap
2. its expensive
3. what bunnings do sell is crap
4. if you buy arlec, there is something wrong with you.
5. get a sparky to do it and problem solved.
6. go to wholesaler and get quality products and they will tell you sparkies in the area that will do your job. that way you can get a quote for materials, then ask about a sparky, and work out everything from there.

Mate, i dont know what you're on about. You said Bunnings = crap. I replied saying Bunnings sell HPM and Clipsal (which we know isnt crap). They also sell Arlec, (i didnt say to buy it - made in China) and lots of no name crap.

No sparkie would like a referral from a wholesaler where he has an account where the customer buys the material from the same wholesaler. Are you a sparkie?

1. their range is crap
2. its expensive
3. what bunnings do sell is crap
4. if you buy arlec, there is something wrong with you.
5. get a sparky to do it and problem solved.
6. go to wholesaler and get quality products and they will tell you sparkies in the area that will do your job. that way you can get a quote for materials, then ask about a sparky, and work out everything from there.

good answer TAB_DR

You are on the Money, TAB_DR

I am a little late on this thread - however

It costs a lot to run an electrical contracting business. We charge out at $100.00 plus GST per hour. However we also have set rates for most jobs. Otherwise we would price ourselves out of the market in northern Brisbane.

Talking about supplies I always buy from http://www.sparkydirect.com.au, It is cheaper to spend $9.95 + to get my stuff delivered to my workshop then to have my apprentice or tradesmen standing at the counter "shooting the breeze" with the salesman.

As a side note: Clipsal and HPM are all made in Asia now. (read the side of the boxes):confused:

Also the online price does not change, like it used to at the local wholesalers, The price would vary depending if I went in or my staff went in to get the goods, the online price is always live 24/7.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back