End of lease - does the agent need to give 60 days notice in WA

I am currently renting a property in Western Australia while my wife and I are looking to purchase our PPR when we find one that suits us.

Our lease expires in 3 weeks and I have asked the agent to extend the lease by 4 months, as 6 months is not suitable for us right now.

The agent has advised the owner won't accept anything other than a 6 month lease, so as a result we are consider moving out. Does the owner still need to give me 60 days notice (as in QLD) or are we required to vacate in 3 weeks when the lease is finished?

Does anyone know the Western Australian legislation for rental properties and able to answer this?

Thanks,
Gavin.

I am currently renting a property in Western Australia while my wife and I are looking to purchase our PPR when we find one that suits us.

Our lease expires in 3 weeks and I have asked the agent to extend the lease by 4 months, as 6 months is not suitable for us right now.

The agent has advised the owner won't accept anything other than a 6 month lease, so as a result we are consider moving out. Does the owner still need to give me 60 days notice (as in QLD) or are we required to vacate in 3 weeks when the lease is finished?

Does anyone know the Western Australian legislation for rental properties and able to answer this?

Thanks,
Gavin.

Have you seen how difficult it is to find a rental in Perth at the moment ?

I take it the owner isn't accepting a periodical term, if they won't accept a 4 month lease ?

The agent will get 2 weeks letting fee on a 6 month lease , where as if you go periodical I think they get nothing.
Perhaps the owner isn't aware of your request.....??

food for thought !

Unfortunately for you, no they don't.

It is the assumption in WA that the lease finishes at the end of the term, unlike NSW, Vic and QLD where they have to give some notice (albeit shorter then when on periodic at the fixed lease expiry) even at the end of the lease.

It was a rude shock for me too when we first moved to WA...

So you don't have periodic leases in WA?

In NSW you would just stay after the lease ends and be on a periodic lease.
Or you could sign up for another length of time.

It seems strange that they just say it's ended move out now.

So you don't have periodic leases in WA?

In NSW you would just stay after the lease ends and be on a periodic lease.
Or you could sign up for another length of time.

It seems strange that they just say it's ended move out now.

From the sounds of it, WA landlords have their pick of tenants atm.
They will do what is best for them, and not consider the wishes of a tenant.

I have 1 tenant on a periodic lease in W.A, they do exist, but I assume it is up to the landlord to accept it or not.

Op, look at your lease, it will read, "if at the end of the lease term the tenant reverts to a periodical the rent shall be no less than $ (inserted figure)."

Op, look at your lease, it may read, "if at the end of the lease term the tenant reverts to a periodical the rent shall be no less than $ (inserted figure)."

Fixed it for you:)

I, for one, will not allow my leases to roll over to periodic.
Mainly due to insurance limitations.

Back