Escel Formula Help Please

Can anyone assist by any chance??

I want to do a formula where I want the difference between two fields.

It used to be easy. I would just do =SUM(C4-C6). In this scenario C4 was always a positive number.

But what if C4 is sometimes a negative number?? So if that is the case it will add it on rather than take it away.

I would like to do a formula that copes with both a negative or positive number in C4.

If anyone knows I would really be delighted :)

Thank you Propertunity, even though I have been a slacko contributing on here for a while my old pals always come through:):):)

Me again Prop. After looking closer at your answer I am not sure how to make that into a formula using my example.

Now I am all unsettled again :p:p:p

I think the "sum" confuses things, doesn't it? Shouldn't it just be:

=C4-C6

Good to see you, Petal. :)

Can anyone assist by any chance??

I want to do a formula where I want the difference between two fields.

It used to be easy. I would just do =SUM(C4-C6). In this scenario C4 was always a positive number.

But what if C4 is sometimes a negative number?? So if that is the case it will add it on rather than take it away.

I would like to do a formula that copes with both a negative or positive number in C4.

If anyone knows I would really be delighted :)

Try this =ABS(SUM(C4-C6)) By using this forumla you are getting the absolute number rather than the sum

I think the "sum" confuses things, doesn't it? Shouldn't it just be:

=C4-C6

Good to see you, Petal. :)

Thanks Perp!! You seem to have gained a few more little green squares since I was last here. Well deserved I would say!

Unfortuniately that did not work so I think I must not be explaining it very well (excuse any typos, my eyes are still a bit blurry).

I have attached a spreasheet to show you guys. The figure I am interested in in the one in the grey box. The first one in C50. That one was easy because it was $130,044 minus $106,402 and the result was a positive figure.

The next one is in C99 and that is the same as above.

The next one in C148 also worked out fine with the formula as it was the first one in minus.

But then when you look at C196 and C244 the minus should be getting bigger and bigger as there is no money coming in.

Sometimes it will be a minus and sometimes it will be a plus depending on the amount of income coming in.

So I think it is one of thos "if" formulas. I just don't know how to do them!

Attachments

• Petal Budget Spreadsheet .xls
    86 KB · Views: 65
Unfortuniately that did not work so I think I must not be explaining it very well (excuse any typos, my eyes are still a bit blurry).

I have attached a spreasheet to show you guys. The figure I am interested in in the one in the grey box. The first one in C50. That one was easy because it was $130,044 minus $106,402 and the result was a positive figure.

The next one is in C99 and that is the same as above.

The next one in C148 also worked out fine with the formula as it was the first one in minus.

But then when you look at C196 and C244 the minus should be getting bigger and bigger as there is no money coming in.

Sometimes it will be a minus and sometimes it will be a plus depending on the amount of income coming in.

So I think it is one of thos "if" formulas. I just don't know how to do them!

Hi Petal,

The negative for C196 and C244 can't be getting bigger because the cells that flow to these (e.g. B243 and E241) have the same values in both instances.

I think the error could be that your 'Current balance' does not change between periods. In the first few periods, the ones that work, your current balance is impacted by your running tally in column G however for the last 2 periods this running tally is nil. Perhaps the 'Difference' total (e.g. B197) should be 'Total Money in' (e.g. B195) less 'money out' (E193)?

I hope that helps,

G

Hi G yes it does help very much, thank you. I think I have been looking at the numbers in an illogical way and I understand what you are saying.

Thanks all for bearing with me!!

Back