Europe, China & the US....The Three Amigos

Triple threat according to this:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...tent=47121&utm_campaign=kgb&modapt=commentary

This an interesting read on China:

http://www.thebull.com.au/premium/a...to-end-in-a-disorderly-economic-collapse.html

China is also the least transparent and hence the most difficult to forecast on. I am not presuming that mining will just cease and come to a halt, however even that speedier part of our economy may come across some potholes and speed humps soon.

Are we in for part two of the initial smoke and mirrors of 2007/2008? :confused:

Doesn't surprise me; you all know how much I've been bangin' on about things locally for the last year...

Maybe some of the "waddya talkin' about?" brigade might listen to those guys you linked.

The comments below the article were interesting.

Off topic, but how's this one:

Daniel Gardiner wrote:

I love how it is always Labor's fault (Business braces for a triple threat, June 4). Do you talk about the tax transfer of cash from poor to rich with the funding of private schools or the private health rebate? No one is talking about equal incomes just a rebalance. The growing gap between rich and poor needs to be addressed or it will lead to civil unrest

4 Jun 2012 12:13 PM

Two things wrong with that;

1. Nowhere does the article mention Labor. It was only described as "the Government"' merely stating the status, and Labor happens to be in power (maybe the author of the article is a Lib and is having a subtle dig? ;)) Why do Labor supporters always attack a comment about the Gubbmint with a "you're victimising Labor" whinge?

2. Having a sooky la la about the Poor V Rich as Labor supporters do. There is no-one who wants to see everyone get ahead more than I do, but most Libs I know were born just as poor as Labor voters, and through their lives they develop the mindset of trying to achieve and be above the pack a little.

They end up that way; not wallowing down in the victim mentality "poor worker being victimised by the rich" mud pit.

Last edited:
1. Nowhere does the article mention Labor. It was only described as "the Government"' merely stating the status, and Labor happens to be in power (maybe the author of the article is a Lib and is having a subtle dig? ;)) Why do Labor supporters always attack a comment about the Gubbmint with a "you're victimising Labor" whinge?

you were expecting those relying on middle class welfare with victim mentalities to do.... what else, exactly? :confused:

I've been in Belgium and the Netherlands today.

I had a job interview with a company in the outskirts of Antwerp, and there didn't seem to be any fear that the single currency was going to go belly up. I was joking about the British press publishing scare stories that the Euro is going to break up by the end of next week, and the reply was in the vein that it better not, because if I got the job I'd be paid in it.

There were a few comments about tax going up, but that was mainly through cutting allowances and other middle class welfare, such as childcare or support for solar panels. (A lot of roofs in well-off areas are sporting PV arrays.)

In the Netherlands there's a tremendous amount of building work going on. I lived in Delft for a few years, and they're in the middle of burying the railway link that runs through the middle of the town. In Rotterdam there's a new station under construction.

OK, both of these predated the GFC, and are big infrastructure projects, but there's a big apartment block under construction in the centre. This is not something that a fearful country would be putting up, particularly in the midst of an ongoing property slump.

Here in Amsterdam, Warmoesstraat, which is the epicentre of the coffee shop trade, has been cleaned up. There are a couple of new eateries that have a designer look about them.

We keep on hearing stories about the horrors of the Eurozone, but outside of the PIIGS, things seems to be going OK. I don't speak the language, so I might be missing out on things, but there's more negativity back home in the UK.

We keep on hearing stories about the horrors of the Eurozone, but outside of the PIIGS, things seems to be going OK. I don't speak the language, so I might be missing out on things, but there's more negativity back home in the UK.

had to laugh @ the "back home" comment - it's all i hear at the moment.

so true though, the more i read, the more i see places like Austria and Netherlands and Scandinavia doing just fine, comparitively.

Back