Ever wondered what your union fees pay for?

I suppose we'll find out soon enough just who's working for who when they're questioned under oath - the bits that aren't already on police intelligence record anyway.

It makes very little difference as the penalties for perjury are little more than a slap on the wrist.

There was a royal commission years ago into the criminal activities of another union- the Costigan Royal Commission into ship painters and dockers.

A lot of stuff was found out. The union no longer exists- but there's no way that the one union had exclusivity.

In fact the royal commission found activities that extended into the top end of town- it uncovered what became known as the "bottom of the harbour" tax avoidance schemes, which were costing hundreds of millions in foregone tax.

The commission became a de facto investigation into organised crime. It famously named Kerry Packer as involved in a corrupt transaction, something which was never proved in a court of law.

When it finished it morphed into the National Crime Authority, which later merged with other authorities to become the Australian Crime Commission.

It makes very little difference as the penalties for perjury are little more than a slap on the wrist.

I was referring moreso to the whistleblowers of which there are many - not just in this case but the others as well.

Those lying or being hostile witnesses will lose cred as a result of exposure by others. It won't exactly be a case of coming out of it unscathed even if it resulted in a slap on the wrist.

Unions - A summary

I-have-no-idea-what-I-am-doing.gif

money.gif

an.gif

:D

Back